outpost changes sides

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
coCoKNIght
Space Squid

outpost changes sides

#1 Post by coCoKNIght »

I've attached a save game. At system Mobius Alpha I've got an outpost and a damaged Fighter. An enemy Fighter is aproaching. After pressing Turn, the Outpost changes sides and attacks my own Fighter.
How does that happen?

v 0.4.5 f203162

Attachment couldn't be uploaded because extension xz is not allowed... I'll try something else later...
Last edited by coCoKNIght on Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: outpost changes sides

#2 Post by Dilvish »

That is odd; nothing comes to mind that would just directly shift ownership of an outpost. However, IIRC, I think that recent changes to Ion Storm stealth effects could leave you open (if you didn't have good enough detection) to a situation where an enemy could come in with troopers that you just didn't see. Was this system in an Ion Storm at the time?
coCoKNIght wrote:Attachment couldn't be uploaded because extension xz is not allowed... I'll try something else later...
compress it as a zip file; they're OK here. If the file is still too big, though, then you'd have to put it up on a fileshare someplace and just add a link here.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

coCoKNIght
Space Squid

#3 Post by coCoKNIght »

Here's the attachment. It's a zipped tar.xz

If that's too exotic I could also try a tar.bz2 or a zipped tar.bz2

I'm at a hotel with bad internet connection so I can't do the stuff I'd normally do like host it from my own server and stuff...
Attachments
FreeOrion_coCoKNIght_MoFos_0079_20150919_192436.sav.zip
(510.46 KiB) Downloaded 58 times

coCoKNIght
Space Squid

#4 Post by coCoKNIght »

No storm and nothing around, also a hidden trooper couldn't invade the outpost since it's defended. The fighter would have to arrive first.

Dilvish

#5 Post by Dilvish »

coCoKNIght wrote:No storm and nothing around, also a hidden trooper couldn't invade the outpost since it's defended. The fighter would have to arrive first.
No storm, but it is a hidden trooper (actually, a pair of them) that takes over the outpost. The game loads into turn 79, at which point there was just a battle in that Mobius Alpha system. Your fighter defeated the enemy fighter, but in the battle the outposts shields were knocked to zero, allowing the hidden troopers to invade. Note in the adjacent system, the enemy has some troopers there as well, based on the spatial flux hull, with stealth greater than your detection. I'm not sure what caused them to be temporarily revealed in the neighboring system but not in the system that you lose here, but that's what is going on.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

coCoKNIght
Space Squid

#6 Post by coCoKNIght »

Thanks for checking. I didn't know troopers can invade even if the defense meter of the planet is not at zero. So only condition is that the shield meter is at zero then, right?
I guess it all adds up this way but it's still pretty weird, that the defending fleet is suddenly attacked by the planet... :)

Note in the adjacent system, the enemy has some troopers there as well, based on the spatial flux hull, with stealth greater than your detection.
But the troopers you mention belong to Pacificat, not to the attacking Demarcation. I've been seeing hidden Pacificat troopers move around a lot, those ships are displayed as hidden. I haven't seen any hidden Demarcation ships though. Do you know why some stealth ships are shown as hidden and others are not shown at all?

Dilvish

#7 Post by Dilvish »

coCoKNIght wrote:I didn't know troopers can invade even if the defense meter of the planet is not at zero. So only condition is that the shield meter is at zero then, right?
Yes.
But the troopers you mention belong to Pacificat, not to the attacking Demarcation. I've been seeing hidden Pacificat troopers move around a lot, those ships are displayed as hidden. I haven't seen any hidden Demarcation ships though. Do you know why some stealth ships are shown as hidden and others are not shown at all?
Oh, whoops, the colors were so similar I made a poor assumption about ownership without checking. There is a variety of situations that can lead to an otherwise stealthed ship being temporarily exposed (some of which are dependent on the source of stealth). As I already noted, I don't think I have enough info here to surmise what past events led to this particular combination of some stealthed ships having been glimpsed before whereas others hadn't.