AI Ships Immune to space monsters?

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: AI Ships Immune to space monsters?

#16 Post by Geoff the Medio »

LordTim wrote:Asteroid Snail?
Play the latest test build.

LordTim
Space Floater

#17 Post by LordTim »

Really? I just got this one to work less than a week ago.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#18 Post by Vezzra »

Ok, that's strange. It looks like your pedia is only showing you monsters you encountered, but what I get on turn 1 of a default quickstart game is this:
Pedia_Monster_Types.png
Pedia_Monster_Types.png (52.59 KiB) Viewed 674 times
I'm using build 2016-02-15.ff49e2c, but as you said, your build is just one week older, and I can't think of any recent changes that would have affected this behavior...???

Geoff the Medio

#19 Post by Geoff the Medio »

LordTim wrote:Really? I just got this one to work less than a week ago.
I thought, from an earlier screenshot, you were using 0.4.5.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#20 Post by Vezzra »

His earlier screenshots show build number 2016-02-09.76ad5e8.

Geoff the Medio

#21 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Vezzra wrote:His earlier screenshots show build number 2016-02-09.76ad5e8.
I just looked at the human-readable name, and ignored the + at after v0.4.5

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#22 Post by MatGB »

Ah, um, there is/was a bug in which the Pedia would only display info on monsters you'd seen and/or were in that game, I can't remember if/when that was actually resolved (it may've been deliberate, I forget). IIRC it only happens on games loaded from save and not brand new games.

However, it's basically 15 damage, 30 structure, and stealth either 15 or 25 so you need to have researched Active Radar to be able to see it. They're one of the many many reasons why AR is one of my early game choices.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#23 Post by Vezzra »

MatGB wrote:IIRC it only happens on games loaded from save and not brand new games.
Ah, that would explain why I'm seeing the full list and he does not.

Anyway, if that's the current behavior, it's definitely a bug. Either show all or only those you encountered, but the same behavior regardless of if you started a new game or loaded an existing one.

LordTim
Space Floater

#24 Post by LordTim »

Active Radar researched on turn 28. Pedia screenshot was from around turn 100.

I have played version 4.2 a ton so I am good with the mechanics of the game. To give some perspective I have over 180 saved games just since January and I save once per 25 turns.

Never went to 4.3 because frankly I did not like the changes but thought I would give the latest one a shot. Still trying to determine if I am going to like it. Right off the bat I do not like spending all my early time trying to build up and chase down the Great Kraken's which seem to enjoy the systems around my home star and showing up just as a colony ship, outpost ship or troop ships are produced.
Attachments
ActiveRadarBuiltTurn28.jpg
ActiveRadarBuiltTurn28.jpg (354.05 KiB) Viewed 648 times

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#25 Post by defaultuser »

The reason Great Krakens are showing up is that you didn't kill the larval ones (they grow), then find the nest and plop an outpost on it to shut down new ones.

LordTim
Space Floater

#26 Post by LordTim »

If they started out as larvae they were not visible to me then and wandered into view after morphing into Great ones. As I said I was playing just an exploratory game and was trying to pick out the new stuff on my own and checking it out as it showed up or I get a message in Sitrep.

They were definitely not larvae ones when they first showed up in my view. I had spent the last 30 turns or so trying to buildup forces to destroy them.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#27 Post by defaultuser »

In my experience, it's unusual to have the first siting of Krakens be "Great" ones in your territory assuming you have been doing an adequate job of scouting. However, everyone's experience will differ. But now you know, Larval Krakens grow up into Krakens and eventually Great Krakens.

Once you find the nest and colonize it, you can even research tech that allows you to grow your own Krakens for fun and profit!

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#28 Post by MatGB »

As of June 2015 (ie before 0.4.5 was produced), Great Kraken simply cannot appear in game before turn 60. if it is happening then we have a bug that's quite significant and needs investigating so save games are required.
- Kraken, Snowflakes and Juggernauts will no longer mature to level 2… · freeorion/freeorion@4f05f6b

The odds of any great kraken appearing immediately after that are still quite low, ensuring you have scouts and visibility around systems you're planning to send unarmed and unarmoured colonists to is a fairly basic strategy, and given how slowly great kraken move you can always just avoid them.

Regarding the invisible white scout, that's used to denote any known threat that you didn't have a ship survive the combat with, normally it's something like a snail but if it's that far out it could be anything. Go take another look with a better scout from a nearby system.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#29 Post by Vezzra »

LordTim wrote:Right off the bat I do not like spending all my early time trying to build up and chase down the Great Kraken's which seem to enjoy the systems around my home star and showing up just as a colony ship, outpost ship or troop ships are produced.
A simple solution to that would be to just set monster frequency to "low" (which will give you only stationary "guard" monsters) or "none" (which will eleminate all monsters from the game).