Outpost base not allowing colonization

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
LordTim
Space Floater

Outpost base not allowing colonization

#1 Post by LordTim »

Just built two outpost base modules in a system I colonized but no option to allow me to colonize the asteroid belts in the system.

Has something changed or am I missing something? I have other outpost bases that I have built and used so must be something I am missing.

First screenshot shows where I can build in one system:
AsteroidOutposeAvailable.jpg
AsteroidOutposeAvailable.jpg (315.51 KiB) Viewed 840 times
But in the second screenshot there is no option to colonize the asteroids.
AsteroidOutposeNotAvailable.jpg
AsteroidOutposeNotAvailable.jpg (310.51 KiB) Viewed 840 times

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Outpost base not allowing colonization

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

The big magenta swirly thing next to your system is an Ion Storm. It disruptions detection of stuff within it, and given the scanlines on Teja α I, you currently can't adequately see the planets in the system where you can't outpost. Wait until it moves past, or upgrade your empire detection technology.

LordTim
Space Floater

#3 Post by LordTim »

I went back to check and see if I could colonize it after the storm passed and found I had no autosave games in the folder even though I have both single and multiplayer options checked and turns between autosave is set to 1 with the limit set to 20.

I did have a manual save on turn 75 so used that one and that was the issue.

Thanks for the answer.

UrshMost
Space Kraken

#4 Post by UrshMost »

Maybe there should be a message that shows up in place of the colonization button that gives a helpful explanation like 'object obscured' or 'shields are up'. This would only occur when there is an outpost or colony ship in a system.
Windows 10 64bit, AMD 8 Core, 16 GB
Nvidia GTX 670 @ 3240x1920
FreeOrion Build: Latest Windows Test Build

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#5 Post by Geoff the Medio »

UrshMost wrote:Maybe there should be a message that shows up in place of the colonization button that gives a helpful explanation like 'object obscured' or 'shields are up'. This would only occur when there is an outpost or colony ship in a system.
That's what the scanlines are for. Also, there is a tooltip for not currently detected objects on the sidepanel.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#6 Post by MatGB »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
UrshMost wrote:Maybe there should be a message that shows up in place of the colonization button that gives a helpful explanation like 'object obscured' or 'shields are up'. This would only occur when there is an outpost or colony ship in a system.
That's what the scanlines are for. Also, there is a tooltip for not currently detected objects on the sidepanel.
Yup, but it appears a large number of new players don't notice the scanlines, let alone understand them, and tooltips only appear if someone puts the mouse in the right place.

You and I find the scanlines intuitive because we're used to it. I know I didn't always understand it when I was learning (one of my earlier questions involved inability to invade a Furthest planet). I think we need to improve that area of the UI somehow.

I have zero clue how.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Cpeosphoros
Space Kraken

#7 Post by Cpeosphoros »

MatGB wrote:You and I find the scanlines intuitive because we're used to it. I know I didn't always understand it when I was learning (one of my earlier questions involved inability to invade a Furthest planet). I think we need to improve that area of the UI somehow.

I have zero clue how.
How about including a message in the top of the planets's panel, saying something like "There are planets in this system with stealth greater than your detection."?
All contributions are released under GPL or LGPL v2 or later, or under appropriate Creative Commons licence, consistent with project guidelines.

UrshMost
Space Kraken

#8 Post by UrshMost »

MatGB wrote:
Geoff the Medio wrote:
Yup, but it appears a large number of new players don't notice the scanlines, let alone understand them, and tooltips only appear if someone puts the mouse in the right place.

You and I find the scanlines intuitive because we're used to it. I know I didn't always understand it when I was learning (one of my earlier questions involved inability to invade a Furthest planet). I think we need to improve that area of the UI somehow.
I agree, once you are aware of the scanlines it's a useful indicator but it's not obvious until you learn about it and understand the reasons behind it, and even then is not always clear, e.g. for asteroids. My suggestion would be to change the normal colonize button to one that explains that you can't colonize and why.
Attachments
example.jpg
example.jpg (69.84 KiB) Viewed 775 times
Windows 10 64bit, AMD 8 Core, 16 GB
Nvidia GTX 670 @ 3240x1920
FreeOrion Build: Latest Windows Test Build

Cpeosphoros
Space Kraken

#9 Post by Cpeosphoros »

UrshMost wrote:I agree, once you are aware of the scanlines it's a useful indicator but it's not obvious until you learn about it and understand the reasons behind it, and even then is not always clear, e.g. for asteroids. My suggestion would be to change the normal colonize button to one that explains that you can't colonize and why.
I like it. Nice mock-up.
All contributions are released under GPL or LGPL v2 or later, or under appropriate Creative Commons licence, consistent with project guidelines.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#10 Post by defaultuser »

You could even specify ion storm versus stealth. Again, experienced players will already, but the newer ones might not.

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#11 Post by AndrewW »

MatGB wrote:You and I find the scanlines intuitive because we're used to it. I know I didn't always understand it when I was learning (one of my earlier questions involved inability to invade a Furthest planet). I think we need to improve that area of the UI somehow.
Has happened to me as well, trying to figure out why I couldn't invade a planet.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#12 Post by defaultuser »

It's one of those things you learn as you go. Features like ion storms and molecular clouds aren't just decorations on the map, they have actual gameplay effects that you have to account for.