New member here

Talk about anything and everything related or unrelated to the FreeOrion project, especially Strategy Games.

Moderator: Oberlus

Ophiuchus
Programmer

Re: New member here

#1 Post by Ophiuchus »

Hi, how you like the game?
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#2 Post by Oberlus »

Christ50 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:17 pm Hello, I like mind games. Lifestyle habits matter when it comes to brain health, and the rewards of increased mental stimulation can be seen in a very short space of time.
This seems to be a patient bot (if not, apologies, Christ50).
I'm waiting for it to edit his posts to add links to other websites before asking permission to ban the user.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#3 Post by Oberlus »

Christ50 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:08 am I am not a bot, did you mean I post links here?
:D
Great! Welcome to the forums.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#4 Post by defaultuser »

Depends on the link. What would need to post?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#5 Post by Oberlus »

Christ50 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:51 amif I need to post a link here so what can I do and where can I contact?
No need to ask for that. You just do it. If it is a link relevant to what you are saying in the post, and the post is not off-topic in this forum, everything is fine. If it is spam, not fine, but you won't have to worry about that.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#6 Post by Oberlus »

Christ50 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:51 am Sure, if I can post a link here so I'll make sure that link is relevant to my topic and this forum, I didn't break the forum rules. Thanks
Your link in your signature is spam.
I'll ask for your user to be removed (you never joined the forum to anything FO related).

Shown
Space Krill

#7 Post by Shown »

Hi I am also new to forum and I am looking for that kind informative site and now look I have found the whole community

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#8 Post by defaultuser »

Shown wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:19 pm Hi I am also new to forum and I am looking for that kind informative site and now look I have found the whole community
This seems suspiciously generic.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#9 Post by Oberlus »

defaultuser wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:32 pm
Shown wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:19 pm Hi I am also new to forum and I am looking for that kind informative site and now look I have found the whole community
I think the same (I was the one approving it). But I googled for fragments of this post and got no results, so I went ahead. If it is a bot, it will change its signature to some spam, etc. and I'll ask for user ban.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#10 Post by LienRag »

defaultuser wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:32 pm
Well, first messages on a forum tend to be generic...
Either someone has a precise thing to say (game review, bug, whatever) and they say it, or they just want to say "hello" and saying hello is quite generic.

I'm not saying that spam doesn't exist, but I'm not sure that it's a good strategy to be generally unwelcoming just because spam exists - better wait for actual spamming offence (and delete the spammer account) that accusing anybody of being a potential spammer.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#11 Post by defaultuser »

But the post doesn't even mention FreeOrion. These kind of "I have been searching for this sort of forum and now I have found it" are frequent first posts for PHPBB forums that require an initial approval. In the past I moderated a hobby forum and have seen this sort of thing. I might be wrong, but I'm suspicious.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#12 Post by Oberlus »

defaultuser wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:27 pm But the post doesn't even mention FreeOrion. These kind of "I have been searching for this sort of forum and now I have found it" are frequent first posts for PHPBB forums that require an initial approval. In the past I moderated a hobby forum and have seen this sort of thing. I might be wrong, but I'm suspicious.
Three out of three users I allowed here with this kind of presentations were bots or human spammers.
Apart from those "hey here I am", there are "advanced" bots that pick some fragments of previous posts and reposts them wrapped in some generic sentences to agree with that. Sometimes those fail to make any sense, but most often they would look legit. So I always do a search, and when I find the copy-paste pattern I disallow them right away, letting them know and giving them my apologies in advance in case I was wrong and inviting them to repost if they are not bots. They never repost.