I'm a rookie programmer...need advice

Talk about anything and everything related or unrelated to the FreeOrion project, especially Strategy Games.

Moderator: Oberlus

Markk786
Space Krill

I'm a rookie programmer...need advice

#1 Post by Markk786 »

Hi i'm a rookie programmer.....I started with VB....What will be the next language which is easy to learn???

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: I'm a rookie programmer...need advice

#2 Post by Oberlus »

The one you're more like to (be motivated to) use.
If you have some programming project in mind, any language that is suited for the task could be a good one.
From those, the ones that are currently more used, have free tools and have good online documentation and question/answer forums will be the best options.
I would give my opinion on specific languages but I'm an old fossil that only uses C and some R.
Last edited by Oberlus on Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#3 Post by Dilvish »

Python is a great language and relatively easy to learn; it's also the language we use for the AI and universe creation in FreeOrion (and we use C++ for the rest of it).

A friend of mine in San Francisco was just telling me that Scala is one of the top languages among all the startups building apps and whatnot, you might want to take a look at it also.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#4 Post by Vezzra »

Another option is Pascal. FreePascal/Lazarus is an open source implementation of a complete dev environment plus IDE which is available for the three major platforms (Win, OSX, Linux).

Markk786
Space Krill

#5 Post by Markk786 »

Hi,
thank you all...... I thought of starting to learn python,many of my friends said it too......
Hope I'll get help from you guys....
RemediesSide effectsSch
Last edited by Markk786 on Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jaumito
Space Kraken
Location: Catalonia, France, Europe, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Virgo Cluster

#6 Post by Jaumito »

Vezzra wrote:Another option is Pascal.
Aaaaaah, Pascal. That's what I learned programming with, in 1980 (we were using punch cards then - no kidding!) I had no idea so many people are still using it.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#7 Post by Vezzra »

Jaumito wrote:I had no idea so many people are still using it.
Well, can't say I'm still using it... but I did many years ago, and played around with Lazarus/FreePascal once in a while more recently...

Gault.Drakkor
Space Floater

#8 Post by Gault.Drakkor »

Choose a small project you are interested in.

Small so that you can actually complete it and have satisfaction of completing it. Something you are interested in so that you have motivation to complete it.

Programming language? As others have said, something that is documented and open - easier to get help and find examples then with an obscure language.

Additionally I would recommend a language that has an easy to use REPL / interpreter prompt https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Read–eval–print_loop such as python. It gives you quick feedback on what you are trying to do.