Is their anything left for speculative science to squeeze out?

Talk about anything and everything related or unrelated to the FreeOrion project, especially Strategy Games.

Moderator: Oberlus

Maximum7
Space Krill

Is their anything left for speculative science to squeeze out?

#1 Post by Maximum7 »

I’ve been wondering about science and scientific progression in the Star Wars universe. Even though people have pointed out that Star Wars is science fantasy and doesn’t care about science- that really isn’t true. Scientists are mentioned all the time in Star Wars. The society runs on science just like ours does. The stories were are shown are those of a religious order so science obviously takes a backseat but even the Jedi use technology. Lightsabers aren’t made out of wood! I just wonder what could be the next thing in science that scientists in Star Wars can pursue. They had FTL for millennia. You would logically think that whatever sci fi stuff you isn’t exist is fair game like teleportation and time travel BUT both those two things are something all people (sentient beings) have wanted since the beginning of time so the fact that they don’t exist must mean they tried and those things are impossible. Star Wars does have nanotech. It’s mentioned in several mediums so you would think that the logical next step would be pico and femtotechnology but the whole midichlorian thing makes me think it’s impossible. I also don’t really believe you can go smaller in the real world either. Matter replication and simulated reality seem to be good bets and I bet both exist BUT I bet the former exists and they won’t let it hit market because it would destabilize the economy and lead to a post-scarcity society like Star Trek. The latter also probably exists but probably isn’t healthy; may only exist for rich people on rich planets or just isn’t spoken about. That being said: What could be worked on by scientists in Star Wars?

Geoff the Medio
    Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Is their anything left for speculative science to squeeze out?

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Maximum7 wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:03 pmMatter replication ... exists and they won’t let it hit market because it would destabilize the economy and lead to a post-scarcity society like Star Trek.
    Being possible and being economically viable on a scale large enough to disrupt economies are distinct situations.
    What could be worked on by scientists in Star Wars?
    The plots of several of the movies revolves around new technological advancements in warfare. These are as much engineering and logistical issues as "science", but presumably some new (semi)theoretical developments were involved.