Serenity

Talk about anything and everything related or unrelated to the FreeOrion project, especially Strategy Games.

Moderator: Oberlus

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

Serenity

#1 Post by utilae »

Did anyone see Serenity?

That was a great movie!!!

I liked the scene where the serenity was flying through a nebula and an Aliance armada was waiting at the destination. The Aliance were suprised when the Serenity was followed by a Reaver armada.

Sapphire Wyvern
Space Kraken

#2 Post by Sapphire Wyvern »

I really liked Serenity, but strangely I think that although it was a great space movie, it wasn't necessarily a great Firefly movie.

Warning: possible spoilers below. Select the text to make it easier to read.

It doesn't really have the space western feel of Firefly, because it concentrates so much on the high-tech Alliance, the Operative, Mr. Universe, and so on. Even Miranda is a very modern, high-tech sort of place. Also, River revealing here abilities as an ass-kicking kung-fu assassin made the movie resemble Buffy a lot more closely than Firefly ever did - which may or may not be a good thing depending on your point of view.

StratCaster
Space Kraken

#3 Post by StratCaster »

great movie, I give it 4 thumbs up...

Joss Whedon outdid himself.
"The mighty warships of the Vl'Hurg Empire dived screaming upon the unknowing Earth, where due to a terrible miscalculation of scale the entire battle fleet was accidentally swallowed by a small dog." -Hitchhikers Guide

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#4 Post by pd »

I liked it too, it even gave me some ideas for fO :)

ewh02b
Space Kraken

#5 Post by ewh02b »

The Firefly series was twice as good as Serenity. If you liked Serenity, you should love Firefly.

The Silent One
Graphics

#6 Post by The Silent One »

Nah... I didn't like it at all. The story seemed to be pieced together from other SF movies: Han Solo flies off with the little-girl-killer-machine to discover the secret of the Resident-Evil T-Virus. That's really cheap.

Only exception: Mr. Universe and his talking rubber doll. Neat idea. :)

solrac776
Space Floater

#7 Post by solrac776 »

@The Silent One: I concur. I got the same impression from the movie. It was still entertaining though.

marhawkman
Large Juggernaut

#8 Post by marhawkman »

The Silent One wrote:Nah... I didn't like it at all. The story seemed to be pieced together from other SF movies: Han Solo flies off with the little-girl-killer-machine to discover the secret of the Resident-Evil T-Virus. That's really cheap.

Only exception: Mr. Universe and his talking rubber doll. Neat idea. :)
Meh... I think that sort of thing is inevitable. Having everything in a movie be COMPLETELY new is unreasonable to expect.
Computer programming is fun.

Ron_Lugge
Space Floater

#9 Post by Ron_Lugge »

I liked the movie. A lot.

Even if it DID loose a lot of the "western" feel from firefly :(
There are 10 types of people in the world;

Those who understand binary and those that don't.