Royal pronoun or annoying orange

Talk about anything and everything related or unrelated to the FreeOrion project, especially Strategy Games.

Moderator: Oberlus

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

Re: I recommend we disable species moving for much greater game simplicity and reduced micromanagement.

#16 Post by wobbly »

Nah mate read you plain and simple. Good luck finding people, prepared to take you serious.

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

Re: I recommend shorter titles

#17 Post by wobbly »

LienRag wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:16 pm
Oberlus wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:08 pm In Spanish, "plural mayestático" (royal pronoun), is "we do this" meaning "you do this". Never "I" since the point is to politely/hipocritically put himself in the action but actually not doing anything, only the others.
It has nothing to do with actual royalty. I think it's the same in English.
Oh, then you have a (spanish) point (a punto then ?). Because he indeed is actually doing this, albeit in my opinion unintentionally.

But it's not the same in French, and as I wrote above, apparently not in English : Royal pronoun is literally the plural that monarchs use to design themselves.
It's also used informally when a person refers to their own opinions as if they are some sort of group consensus. "Of course we don't want to" when what you really mean is "Of course I don't want". Incidentally I've seen you do this a fair bit yourself.

truepurple
Space Kraken

Re: I recommend we disable species moving for much greater game simplicity and reduced micromanagement.

#18 Post by truepurple »

Please stop, this thread is not for discussing the use of the word "we"! It is very rude to spam someones serious thread like this.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#19 Post by Ophiuchus »

LienRag wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:16 pm But it's not the same in French, and as I wrote above, apparently not in English : Royal pronoun is literally the plural that monarchs use to design themselves.
Same in German as in French it seems
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#20 Post by Ophiuchus »

wobbly wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:12 am
LienRag wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:16 pm
Oberlus wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:08 pm In Spanish, "plural mayestático" (royal pronoun), is "we do this" meaning "you do this". Never "I" since the point is to politely/hipocritically put himself in the action but actually not doing anything, only the others.
It has nothing to do with actual royalty. I think it's the same in English.
Oh, then you have a (spanish) point (a punto then ?). Because he indeed is actually doing this, albeit in my opinion unintentionally.

But it's not the same in French, and as I wrote above, apparently not in English : Royal pronoun is literally the plural that monarchs use to design themselves.
It's also used informally when a person refers to their own opinions as if they are some sort of group consensus. "Of course we don't want to" when what you really mean is "Of course I don't want". Incidentally I've seen you do this a fair bit yourself.
I think that was LienRags point. That truepurple wasnt using the pluralis majestatis here.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

truepurple
Space Kraken

#21 Post by truepurple »

I was using "they" etc. as gender neutral pronoun, I am told that is proper grammar/use of the words. I have also used xhe etc as a alternative but either way requires explanation. And the "we" is speaking for the group interested in the game FO. Now would you please stop!

I am surprised at you Ophiciuchus, spamming my thread like this, including using layered quotes for all this off topic shit! Would a mod please cut all this talk out and make it into it's own thread in the appropriate forum?

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#22 Post by Ophiuchus »

truepurple wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:27 amNow would you please stop!

I am surprised at you Ophiciuchus, spamming my thread like this, including using layered quotes for all this off topic shit! Would a mod please cut all this talk out and make it into it's own thread in the appropriate forum?
Sorry for the small detour. I think the problem is that everybody interested said everything they could regarding the original topic.

truepurple
Space Kraken

#23 Post by truepurple »

If I or others got more to say on the topic, I should be able to say it, and not have people have to hint for it among posts of some inane "we" topic.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#24 Post by LienRag »

wobbly wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:12 am Incidentally I've seen you do this a fair bit yourself.
Indeed. I believe though that I do that only when there is actually some consensus (making the game more strategic, diversifying gameplay, ...).
And that consequently I started to use that formula only after learning about what the few consensus in the game actually are.

Imho it helps separate what are my personal opinions on a topic and things that are quite agreed upon.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#25 Post by LienRag »

truepurple wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:50 am If I or others got more to say on the topic, I should be able to say it, and not have people have to hint for it among posts of some inane "we" topic.
Indeed, flood is annoying.
Maybe take a hint there ?

(I didn't intend to flood your topic, even this quite pointless one, but the conversation got out of hand; yet the result is the same)

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#26 Post by Ophiuchus »

LienRag wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:32 am
truepurple wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:50 am If I or others got more to say on the topic, I should be able to say it, and not have people have to hint for it among posts of some inane "we" topic.
Indeed, flood is annoying.

Maybe take a hint there ?

(I didn't intend to flood your topic, even this quite pointless one, but the conversation got out of hand; yet the result is the same)
Oberlus could you please move the topic cutting at "I recommend banning this guy" ? While leaving the following info:
Oberlus wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:42 am
Ophiuchus wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:34 am I think the problem is that everybody interested said everything they could regarding the original topic.
+1

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Royal pronoun or annoying orange

#27 Post by wobbly »

Yeeesss!!!! Finally we can get back to discussing the important topics like linguistics without any more petty disruptions!

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#28 Post by Ophiuchus »

I wonder why this is not in "Top Priority Language Discussions"

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#29 Post by Oberlus »

I'd like to discuss what could be a true purple avatar:
annoying_purple_shocked.jpg
annoying_purple_shocked.jpg (57.73 KiB) Viewed 1712 times

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#30 Post by Ophiuchus »

Oberlus wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:14 pm I'd like to discuss what could be a true purple avatar:
Is that something spanish?