Royal pronoun or annoying orange

Talk about anything and everything related or unrelated to the FreeOrion project, especially Strategy Games.

Moderator: Oberlus

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

Re: I recommend we disable species moving for much greater game simplicity and reduced micromanagement.

#1 Post by LienRag »

Oberlus : are you out of your mind ?
Truepurple is annoying and not listening to anybody (well, most of the time), but he's not breaking any forum rule.

Just ignore him when you don't want to interact positively.

And I don't believe he's stupid, if he learns to STFU long enough to understand how the game works and why design decisions are what they are, he may propose good ideas later.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: I recommend shorter titles

#2 Post by Oberlus »

LR, you doing twisted dialectics to say truepurple is stupid but putting the word in my mouth? :shock: :evil:
I've got enough on my plate, no need for extras.

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

Re: I recommend we disable species moving for much greater game simplicity and reduced micromanagement.

#3 Post by wobbly »

truepurple wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:39 pm So like we are going to have to
Really? Fascinating. I have no idea why you are getting up some people's goat. Truley it is a mysterious mystery. If I was a snarky person, I might snark. Instead I'll suggest that telling people, most of who clearly disagree with you, that they "have to" make your change is not an effective way to get changes into a game. No amount of spamming threads will change that. Heck if you simply halved the spamming you'd probably find it halved the rage.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: I recommend waking up to reality

#4 Post by Oberlus »

I flip out when he uses the royal we. When he is less bossy and obnoxious, he is still above the rest and talking about his desires as if they are others' duty.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#5 Post by Ophiuchus »

wobbly wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:14 am
truepurple wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:39 pm
Heck if you simply halved the spamming you'd probably find it halved the rage.
And probably even double the chance to get taken seriously :lol:
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#6 Post by LienRag »

Oberlus wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:10 am LR, you doing twisted dialectics to say truepurple is stupid but putting the word in my mouth? :shock: :evil:
Absolutely not, I'm sincere.

And he's not using the royal we I believe either, he's trying to integrate here. Clumsily, and without shedding his incredible brashness, but trying to be part of the team is not a crime (should be done by listening to what experienced people say and doing his homework rather than by claiming how obviously better his ideas are, of course, but that's his choice, not ours - our choice is mainly to ignore him when he's too annoying).

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#7 Post by Oberlus »

LienRag wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:11 pm
Oberlus wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:10 am LR, you doing twisted dialectics to say truepurple is stupid but putting the word in my mouth? :shock: :evil:
Absolutely not, I'm sincere.
Then don't say "And he is not stupid" when I haven't called him that.
I have trouble trusting people that clearly states they are sincere :evil: :evil: :evil:
LienRag wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:11 pm And he's not using the royal we I believe either, he's trying to integrate here.
That's the royal we unless he plans to do something. And he stated clearly he can't/won't learn, plus he is proving several times a day he won't even try to understand the game's mechanics (always ask first and then remind us that no one is answering).

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#8 Post by LienRag »

Oberlus wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:30 pm I have trouble trusting people that clearly states they are sincere :evil: :evil: :evil:
That can be a valuable take in life, depending on the situation.

But trusting me or not is your choice, there's not much I can do there (except of course being true to my word, which I believe I was OOC).

Oberlus wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:30 pm Then don't say "And he is not stupid" when I haven't called him that.
I don't want to be rude, but I'm not taking orders from you.

I made my own point about him not being stupid, it was never in reference to what you said or wrote; I was telling you that my opinion is that he's not stupid, there were no implication about what you believed about him.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

Re: I recommend you do your homework first

#9 Post by LienRag »

Oberlus wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:30 pm That's the royal we unless he plans to do something.
It is my understanding that he believes that giving us his ideas about what to do in the game (ideas, which are, in his mind, obviously better that all what we've done so far) is doing something and more precisely, helping us with his insight.

Which actually is what we want new players to do, just obviously with the minimum humility that allows for collective work rather than a know-it-all attitude.

So he's doing what this forum is for, just doing it very badly. And doing the right thing is not a crime, even when doing it very badly.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#10 Post by Oberlus »

LienRag wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:10 pm
Oberlus wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:30 pm Then don't say "And he is not stupid" when I haven't called him that.
I don't want to be rude, but I'm not taking orders from you.
... if you don't want me to believe otherwise (not an order).
LienRag wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:10 pm I made my own point about him not being stupid, it was never in reference to what you said or wrote; I was telling you that my opinion is that he's not stupid, there were no implication about what you believed about him.
So out of the blue you start defending the thesis that he is not stupid after no one called him that.
OK.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: I recommend you do your homework first

#11 Post by Oberlus »

LienRag wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:16 pm
Oberlus wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:30 pm That's the royal we unless he plans to do something.
It is my understanding that he believes that giving us his ideas about what to do in the game (ideas, which are, in his mind, obviously better that all what we've done so far) is doing something and more precisely, helping us with his insight.

Which actually is what we want new players to do, just obviously with the minimum humility that allows for collective work rather than a know-it-all attitude.

So he's doing what this forum is for, just doing it very badly. And doing the right thing is not a crime, even when doing it very badly.
Why you telling me all this? What does it has to do with what is or not royal we?
Dude...

Edit: Maybe you don't know what "royal pronoun" is...

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#12 Post by LienRag »

Oberlus wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:19 pm So out of the blue you start defending the thesis that he is not stupid after no one called him that.
OK.
Indeed, because he acted stupid since the beginning (not listening to people is not the brightest idea in the world).
But there can be a difference between acting stupid and being stupid, and I believe that he acts stupidly for other reasons than him being stupid¹ - namely, not being used to consider other points of view.

Also, him not being stupid means that if he learns to STFU and listen first, talk after, maybe he can bring good and new ideas to the game someday.

Oberlus wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:20 pm Why you telling me all this? What does it has to do with what is or not royal we?
Dude...
Edit: Maybe you don't know what "royal pronoun" is...
I checked if royal pronoun was different in English but apparently (from wikipedia) no, it's using "we" to say "I" (as in French).
And that's to my understanding not what he's doing here, that's why I'm telling you all this.

He's using "we" to say "we the team", which is what we want new players to do², albeit after they have done some work (and understood that spitting out ideas without taking into account the existing constraints is more spam than helpful work) and probably waited to have at least some of their ideas/work be accepted as valid.

¹Maybe it's me who's stupid for taking so much time explaining myself when I could just ignore this whole discussion, actually.

²Be willing to contribute to FreeOrion, that we try to lower the barrier entry for.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#13 Post by Oberlus »

LienRag wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:48 pm He's using "we" to say "we the team"
In Spanish, "plural mayestático" (royal pronoun), is "we do this" meaning "you do this". Never "I" since the point is to politely/hipocritically put himself in the action but actually not doing anything, only the others.
It has nothing to do with actual royalty. I think it's the same in English.

I don't know if you are being stupid, but the conversation between we both actually is quite stupid. But you started it :evil:

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#14 Post by LienRag »

Oberlus wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:08 pm In Spanish, "plural mayestático" (royal pronoun), is "we do this" meaning "you do this". Never "I" since the point is to politely/hipocritically put himself in the action but actually not doing anything, only the others.
It has nothing to do with actual royalty. I think it's the same in English.
Oh, then you have a (spanish) point (a punto then ?). Because he indeed is actually doing this, albeit in my opinion unintentionally.

But it's not the same in French, and as I wrote above, apparently not in English : Royal pronoun is literally the plural that monarchs use to design themselves.

truepurple
Space Kraken

#15 Post by truepurple »

wobbly wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:14 am
truepurple wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:39 pm So like we are going to have to
that they "have to" make your change is not an effective
You failed basic reading comprehension, don't worry, you're not the only one. I got certain others who jeer too because they didn't bother to understand what they read, but this is a pretty egregious example of not bothering to read or comprehend what you read.

I quoted Ophiuchus who is a programmer (even bothered to nestle a link to the thread where they say it, like click on the quote, there is a reason it's a different color with underline) saying we don't have a GUI developer. I didn't say anyone has to accept my ideas/suggestions, I said we have to do without macro-managing-GUI's for now because we don't have a GUI developer! As a result of lacking said GUI's my suggestion is a good temporary fix to reign in some of the games rampant micromanaging requirements that go against the stated ideals of the game. (I also said even with such GUI, too much is too much)

Well at least you actually gave an example instead of vaguely accusing me of "being demanding", which allowed me to correct the mistake.
I do appreciate that, thank you.

I also apologize if my grammar was lacking that left any room for this misunderstanding. But the context with the quote etc. should have told you even if the syntax wasn't perfect.

P.S. Just to be sure you know, GUI stands for graphical user interface. It's the windows that allow one to more easily access the games mechanics for simpler quicker game-play. Though sometimes you'll just see UI, because why bother specifying "graphical", it's all the same.
Last edited by truepurple on Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.