Can Mac OSX run older games?

Talk about anything and everything related or unrelated to the FreeOrion project, especially Strategy Games.

Moderator: Oberlus

StratCaster
Space Kraken

Can Mac OSX run older games?

#1 Post by StratCaster »

I have Mac OSX Panther and it doesn't have System 9 on it.

I found bunch of old freeware games but they'll only run on OS9...

How can I run older software that requires OS 9?

I heard maybe Tiger can do it? Any truth there?
"The mighty warships of the Vl'Hurg Empire dived screaming upon the unknowing Earth, where due to a terrible miscalculation of scale the entire battle fleet was accidentally swallowed by a small dog." -Hitchhikers Guide

dstjames
Space Floater

MAC osX

#2 Post by dstjames »

I'm not a MAC person but the people at work I know run OSX and they switch to a virtual machine build of OS9 to run OS9 programs since we havent repurchased all new graphics software yet. I know its not much help but at least you know it can be done.

frankie
Space Krill

Re: Can Mac OSX run older games?

#3 Post by frankie »

StratCaster wrote:I have Mac OSX Panther and it doesn't have System 9 on it.

Then dig out your Apple CDs and install Classic. Every non-Intel Mac comes with an OS9 compatibility installer.

If the game doesn't work in Classic, try SheepShaver.

Crimson
Space Krill

#4 Post by Crimson »

I have a utility called AppleWin that is a mac emulator that, I believe, can load any given MacOS Rom.

I use it to run a really really old version of Mac OS, because I wanted to play Enchanted Scepters and "The Dungeon of Doom" again. I don't know if it can run the System 9 build or not, and finding the ROM for doing so might be a royal pain, but you can try.

StratCaster
Space Kraken

#5 Post by StratCaster »

I don't think that will work for me, I'm not running windows.

I installed Tiger, but it doesn't support system 9 software....bummer. Why is Mac so backward compatible unfriendly?! Its quite annoying...
"The mighty warships of the Vl'Hurg Empire dived screaming upon the unknowing Earth, where due to a terrible miscalculation of scale the entire battle fleet was accidentally swallowed by a small dog." -Hitchhikers Guide

frankie
Space Krill

#6 Post by frankie »

StratCaster wrote:I installed Tiger, but it doesn't support system 9 software....bummer. Why is Mac so backward compatible unfriendly?! Its quite annoying...
What? Strat, you need to tell us EXACTLY what Mac & what discs you have, down to the very last point version.

Are you saying you have a secondhand Mac without the original installer & restore CDs? In that case, I'd recommend finding another OSX Mac with a classic "System Folder" and copy it onto yours.

Any PPC Mac with its original discs can get Classic mode running in about 15 minutes. http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301408#4