Where are we now on the road map?

Talk about anything and everything related or unrelated to the FreeOrion project, especially Strategy Games.

Moderator: Oberlus

skdiw
Creative Contributor

Where are we now on the road map?

#1 Post by skdiw »

I just put up a big post for economic develop policy for v.2 but then I saw another thread saying the a model already has been passed! Someone should update the road map.

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#2 Post by Aquitaine »

The road map typically gets updated after we release the design docs for a particular version. So as soon as I'm done writing the v0.2 requirements document, I'll update the roadmap.

-Aq
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!

skdiw
Creative Contributor

#3 Post by skdiw »

I thought I'll do some housekeeping and start tabulating a list of game parameters so ppl can organize their ideas better. This should also help the modders and those spewing good ideas but was no effect in the game because nobody knows how to incorporate it. It's going to be a bit of work going through all the forums, so I don't want to do it if the documentation team has done it already.

The old road map says for v.2
Incorporation of nutrients and minerals and some manner in which minerals will feed industry
Starlanes
Stockpiles (if we'll have them)
Environmental preferences (although as there are no races, everyone will have the same preferences for several versions)
Basic Planet Specials (model for how specials will work; perhaps specials that affect resources)

I can start a parameter thread if that sounds good, or should I wait for the update?

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#4 Post by Aquitaine »

I wouldn't suggest making a separate list. No modders are going to be working on v0.1 or v0.2, and if you wanted to know what the paramters were, you could just read the design document.
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!

skdiw
Creative Contributor

#5 Post by skdiw »

I mean to start compiling a searchable, comprehensive, and organized by sections sticky of parameters like planetary population cap, racial growth... parameters that are 100% guaranteed modifiable when the game is near complete and in the final game so when ppl talk about +10% pop growth rate, it mean something. I can also do a potential parameters list and weed out the nonessentials information in each post to make it easy for developers and readers alike.

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#6 Post by Aquitaine »

That would be great, actually. :) I would suggest waiting until the v.2 doc is done, just because there are some things that were not explicitly decided that I will have to more or less make up. But it's just v.2 and they should be mod-able/change-able, and I am seriously trying to get this document done this week -- what can I say, I work well under pressure and nobody is screaming at me to get it done. :P

Odi
Space Floater

#7 Post by Odi »

skdiw wrote:I mean to start compiling a searchable, comprehensive, and organized by sections sticky of parameters like planetary population cap, racial growth... parameters that are 100% guaranteed modifiable when the game is near complete and in the final game so when ppl talk about +10% pop growth rate, it mean something. I can also do a potential parameters list and weed out the nonessentials information in each post to make it easy for developers and readers alike.
If you want it simple, write a module for a nuke-system (though I hate nuke - "cache? limited ressources ? What do you mean, I don't get it" :P ), otherwise use a real framework and write a module for it (or just write a small script, use some PEAR-classes and theres almost no work left (besides the functions for the mod-manual))
zaba zaba zud zud

Nightfish
FreeOrion Designer / Space Monster

#8 Post by Nightfish »

Aquitaine wrote:what can I say, I work well under pressure and nobody is screaming at me to get it done. :P
Want me to get PK so he can scream at you a little? ;)

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#9 Post by Impaler »

Let the Screaming Comence!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
Fear is the Mind Killer - Frank Herbert -Dune