My Introduction

Talk about anything and everything related or unrelated to the FreeOrion project, especially Strategy Games.

Moderator: Oberlus

prptualantcptn
Space Krill

My Introduction

#1 Post by prptualantcptn »

I would like to introduce myself to the crew. I stumbled across freeorion after a reminiscent discussion about my childhood with my wife. I was discussing how influential MOO and MOO2 was in my life. I was realizing how much I learned and the skills I acquired through playing this game regularly in 3rd grade (after watching my dad play it every night for a few months). I am convinced that for those years learned more playing MOO then anything I was taught in class (of course it didn't help that I day dreamed through all my classes about what my next moves towards galactic conquest would be).

Because my wife and I work a lot with youth, the conversation turned towards learning and development, and the latent tools that strategy games provide for learning. I began a rant about how consoles and their inferior form of controllers lend better to FPS's then complex strategy games and how this is depriving the next generation of important skills.

This sent me on a journey to discover what the MOO community is up to these days. In high school I avidly followed the development of MOO3 only to have my hopes dashed because of a lack of funding (It was so buggy I could never get in to it). After this experience I think I felt more let down then I ever acknowledged. Enter FreeOrion. :D

I imagine I will frequent these forums, though I don't know that I have much to contribute. I am an avid writer, and could potential have something to offer in that arena. I will just have to get my newbie fingers dirty around here and get a pulse on things.

I am thoroughly excited (a sentiment shared, I'm sure, with many others who come across this project like myself), it's almost like a reunion of sorts. Long lost kin, reunited through an unyielding passion deep within us to "control the skies of every planet and galaxy"

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

Re: My Introduction

#2 Post by Bigjoe5 »

Welcome to FO. If you have creative writing skills, you might want to contribute somewhere on the story board. There are still races that need to have descriptions written and/or updated, so I'm sure you'll be able to find some task that interests you. The list of races isn't really set in stone yet either, so if you want to replace one of the races I've decided to design the campaign mode around (my decisions don't actually count for anything ;)) you can feel free to make your own race after reading about the ones that are already there. Also, there are probably several in game tech/building descriptions or whatever that probably could use work, though I don't really know much about that.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.