Coconut-carrying octopus

Talk about anything and everything related or unrelated to the FreeOrion project, especially Strategy Games.

Moderator: Oberlus

MikkoM
Space Dragon

Coconut-carrying octopus

#1 Post by MikkoM »

There has been much talk about this lately:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DoWdHOt ... _embedded#

Scary things those octopuses. In the Trith topic there was already some talk about them having quite similar eyes as we humans have, and now they have portable houses too. What’s next? Land vehicles and weapons? :shock: Our days as the dominant species here on Earth might be numbered. :wink:

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

Re: Coconut-carrying octopus

#2 Post by pd »

I love those creatures. If they seem scary, it's just because they are so different. Take a closer look and familiarize yourself with them, they are absolutely stunning and beautiful.

MikkoM
Space Dragon

#3 Post by MikkoM »

Yes, they are quite interesting and have very nice abilities too, like the ability to eject ink and change colour for example.

That scary part of my post was mostly aimed to create drama together with the sentences that follow, where I predict octopuses conquering the world. This whole exaggerating was intended to be a bit of a joke (although maybe not a very good one).

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#4 Post by eleazar »

I saw on a nature show similar behavior, except instead of a coconut, the octopus was carrying a glass bottle.

Pretty cool.

Josh
Graphics

#5 Post by Josh »

Hey cute. I love how we don't even need to travel to outer space to find truly alien life forms.

Ever seen a blobfish?

cnewgent
Space Krill

#6 Post by cnewgent »

MikkoM wrote:Scary things those octopuses. In the Trith topic there was already some talk about them having quite similar eyes as we humans have, and now they have portable houses too. What’s next? Land vehicles and weapons? :shock: Our days as the dominant species here on Earth might be numbered. :wink:
Well probably. Coming from Alabama there is one thing I know for sure. If they live in mobile homes, guns and ammo aren't far behind. I wonder if they like Lynyrd Skynyrd?

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#7 Post by Vezzra »

You are aware that you just necromanced an over six year old thread, right? None of the people above are around anymore... ;)

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#8 Post by AndrewW »

Vezzra wrote:You are aware that you just necromanced an over six year old thread, right? None of the people above are around anymore... ;)
Just need a Xenoresurrection Lab.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#9 Post by Vezzra »

AndrewW wrote:Just need a Xenoresurrection Lab.
I sincerely hope that their current condition isn't that bad... :shock:

:lol:

cnewgent
Space Krill

#10 Post by cnewgent »

Vezzra wrote:You are aware that you just necromanced an over six year old thread, right? None of the people above are around anymore... ;)
I thought the audience was a bit stiff.....

MikkoM
Space Dragon

#11 Post by MikkoM »

cnewgent wrote:
MikkoM wrote:Scary things those octopuses. In the Trith topic there was already some talk about them having quite similar eyes as we humans have, and now they have portable houses too. What’s next? Land vehicles and weapons? :shock: Our days as the dominant species here on Earth might be numbered. :wink:
Well probably. Coming from Alabama there is one thing I know for sure. If they live in mobile homes, guns and ammo aren't far behind. I wonder if they like Lynyrd Skynyrd?
:D
Some of us might still haunt these forums hoping to someday fulfil our promise to the king of space 4X games.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Men_of_Dunharrow

:shock:

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#12 Post by Vezzra »

MikkoM wrote:Some of us might still haunt these forums hoping to someday fulfil our promise to the king of space 4X games.
You know, if you feel like being under a curse because you abandoned the project, you're always welcome to rejoin the fun. I'm sure Geoff (as the current heir to the project lead throne) is willing to lift the curse after some helpful contributions... :mrgreen: