FreeOrion has gone commercial - Update: April Fools

Talk about anything and everything related or unrelated to the FreeOrion project, especially Strategy Games.

Moderator: Oberlus

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

FreeOrion has gone commercial - Update: April Fools

#1 Post by Tyreth »

Hi,

The admin have discussed in detail for a while the possibility of moving FreeOrion to closed source. So far this project has received great contributions, and easily has the potential to compete with commercial offerings. As a result, we have contacted many of the artists and developers and received permission to use their assets in a closed source product. FreeOrion source will from now on be developed privately, and sold as a commercial game at the end of the production cycles. Profits will be used to recuperate the time we have spent in this project, and for sequals if the game proves succesful.

Doing this will enable us to have an even higher level of artwork, code, and to produce the game much quicker than previously possible. All of you who are a part of the FreeOrion community will be welcome to continue offering assets in the form of ideas, artwork, etc, so long as we retain the rights to use it in any way we see fit. We realise this decision will be an unpopular one, but we genuinely feel that it is the best, and most logical next step for the project. It is better that we do this now before we go too far in an open source path.

Thanks for all your contributions so far, and we look forward to producing an excellent, reasonably priced space strategy game in the future.

Tyreth[/b]
Last edited by Tyreth on Wed Apr 28, 2004 7:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

noelte
Juggernaut

#2 Post by noelte »

@Tyreth You didn't ask me and i only give you permission to use all my hard work if i get my share. I already pm you about this. So stop saying freeorion is going commercial until we agreed how to share profit.

Ronald.

EDIT: After we agreed on terms, i'm happy with the decision. Freeorion will surely be successful.
Last edited by noelte on Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

vorenhutz
Pupating Mass

#3 Post by vorenhutz »

Oooh, I am soo angry. No, wait... nice one :)

krum
Creative Contributor

#4 Post by krum »

This had to happen sooner or later if the project was to be serious, and sooner is always better. :)

Xardas
Space Kraken

#5 Post by Xardas »

I am not happy about this decision. :lol:

iamrobk
Space Dragon

#6 Post by iamrobk »

Oh I get it now......... :lol:

noelte
Juggernaut

#7 Post by noelte »

Just for the record :lol:

krum
Creative Contributor

#8 Post by krum »

But guys, OTOH, remember what happened on the other April fool's? :wink: Unfortunately it wasn't a joke.
Last edited by krum on Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#9 Post by Aquitaine »

In other news, I've been fired, and the FO team has decided to bring in a producer to make sure that the game stays on target for its planned release in 2002.

The producer, Blantz, will be taking over all of my design duties.

cheers,
Aquitaine
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!

krum
Creative Contributor

#10 Post by krum »

Aquitaine wrote: The producer, Blantz, will be taking over all of my design duties.
Lots and lots of lolz to that :D

Yoghurt
Programmer

#11 Post by Yoghurt »

FreeOrion also now has full Python support and the backport to C64s is doing nicely. However, as FreeOrion will be published by Microsoft, both Python and C64 will be taken out again and development will be solely for X-Box.
Last edited by Yoghurt on Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leiavoia
Space Kraken

#12 Post by leiavoia »

please don't scare me like that. Us normal people shouldn't have to suffer every year at the hands of April Fooligans.

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#13 Post by utilae »

Is this all an April Fools joke. :lol:

Though, going comercial is a way to tell how popular the game will be, cause now freeorion will have sales, will it be no 1? :wink:

Yoghurt
Programmer

#14 Post by Yoghurt »

utilae wrote:Is this all an April Fools joke. :lol:
Of course not! To prove this, and before the forums will be closed down for the public (we don't want to have to sue visitors for violating the DMCA), here is the newest screenshot:

PowerCrazy
Creative Contributor

#15 Post by PowerCrazy »

lots of love for Tyreth. ;)
Aquitaine is my Hero.... ;)