Java

Talk about anything and everything related or unrelated to the FreeOrion project, especially Strategy Games.
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin
Posts: 12249
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:33 am
Location: Munich

Java

#1 Post by Geoff the Medio » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:09 pm

Karoushi wrote:Update Java?
FreeOrion does not use Java.

Karoushi
Space Squid
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:08 am

Re: End turn button not working

#2 Post by Karoushi » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:14 pm

Geoff the Medio wrote:
Karoushi wrote:Update Java?
FreeOrion does not use Java.
I know, but I don't really know what to suggest * It is still wise to update java if you haven't there was a security issue found in v7 u10 and everyone should have v7 u11.

Just sayin. :P

Also just trying to help, I'd tell him to install python but it isn't like he is running a server like me so he doesn't need it. :D

AndrewW
Juggernaut
Posts: 767
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:15 pm

Re: End turn button not working

#3 Post by AndrewW » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:16 pm

Karoushi wrote:
Geoff the Medio wrote:
Karoushi wrote:Update Java?
FreeOrion does not use Java.
I know, but I don't really know what to suggest * It is still wise to update java if you haven't there was a security issue found in v7 u10 and everyone should have v7 u11.
Or just use v6...

Karoushi
Space Squid
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:08 am

Re: End turn button not working

#4 Post by Karoushi » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:17 pm

AndrewW wrote:
Karoushi wrote:
I know, but I don't really know what to suggest * It is still wise to update java if you haven't there was a security issue found in v7 u10 and everyone should have v7 u11.
Or just use v6...
Which is even less secure? how is that logical, I suggest updating your java and drivers. It only takes a few minutes and doesn't even require a restart...(for the java, the driver installs require a restart).

But hey, can't blame us if you don't want to do basic computer maintenance. Like I said I updated my graphic drivers and the laptop that didn't work, worked and now I can use it with my PC to play with another person.

AndrewW
Juggernaut
Posts: 767
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:15 pm

Re: End turn button not working

#5 Post by AndrewW » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:25 pm

Karoushi wrote:Which is even less secure? how is that logical, I suggest updating your java and drivers. It only takes a few minutes and doesn't even require a restart...(for the java, the driver installs require a restart).
Not really, even with the newest v7 patches I wouldn't say v6 is less secure... Also some programs don't like V7 and work better with v6. I could easily have both V6 and v7 running here, but have not had any use for v7.
Karoushi wrote:But hey, can't blame us if you don't want to do basic computer maintenance. Like I said I updated my graphic drivers and the laptop that didn't work, worked and now I can use it with my PC to play with another person.
Nothing wrong with updating, just not every 'update' is worth it.

Karoushi
Space Squid
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:08 am

Re: Java

#6 Post by Karoushi » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:24 am

Here is the article I read:

http://html5center.sourceforge.net/blog ... oost-HTML5

"Fears rose in December after security researchers discovered several legitimate websites hijacked to run malicious Java code. The attack code exploited a previously unknown vulnerability that compromised site visitors' computers. Users didn't have do anything other than land on the website to get inflected. "

Another:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-575674 ... ity-holes/

And finally, since I must convince you:

http://java.com/en/download/faq/remove_ ... rsions.xml

"The latest version of Java is always the recommended version as it contains feature updates, vulnerability fixes and performance improvements to previous versions.

We highly recommend users uninstall all older versions of Java from your system.
Keeping old and unsupported versions of Java on your system presents a serious security risk.

Do I need older versions of Java?
The latest available version is compatible with the older versions. However, some Java applications (or applets) can indicate that they are dependent on a particular version, and may not run if you do not have that version installed. If an application or web page you access requires an older version of Java, you should report this to the provider/developer and request that they update the application to be compatible with all Java versions.
"

I like updating the things on my PC and no I don't always do it immediately but it is good to do so when it is really out-dated.

Hah and wouldn't you know it, they have new updates! They are on update 13 and I am still on 11.

AndrewW
Juggernaut
Posts: 767
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:15 pm

Re: Java

#7 Post by AndrewW » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:53 am

Karoushi wrote:"The latest version of Java is always the recommended version as it contains feature updates, vulnerability fixes and performance improvements to previous versions.
It's not always, there where a lot of recommendations to keep using v6 after some major vulnerabilities where discovered in v7, though might have changed with the recent big update from Oracle.
Karoushi wrote:Do I need older versions of Java?
The latest available version is compatible with the older versions. However, some Java applications (or applets) can indicate that they are dependent on a particular version, and may not run if you do not have that version installed. If an application or web page you access requires an older version of Java, you should report this to the provider/developer and request that they update the application to be compatible with all Java versions.
"
They are aware of it, either way I am fine with using v6 for it. I rarely use Java in the browser (only just installed the Java plugin about a week ago actually).
Karoushi wrote:I like updating the things on my PC and no I don't always do it immediately but it is good to do so when it is really out-dated.
Actually, mine is easier to keep updated, considering I only need one command to update everything (including os and anything else installed)... And it was just updated a couple of days ago. But I purposely don't pull in Java 1.7x...

To give a relevant example of needing older versions I've got both Python 2.7 and 3.2 installed. If the system is set to 3.2 FreeOrion wont compile, compiles fine if it is set to 2.7 though.

PS: Thanks for splitting off/moving the thread I was thinking we where getting a bit off topic on the original thread.

AndrewW
Juggernaut
Posts: 767
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:15 pm

Re: Java

#8 Post by AndrewW » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:30 am

Oh, and not the 'current' version doesn't mean out of date.

I'm using 6.0.39, which was released February 01st, 2013.

User avatar
Adamant
Space Kraken
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:33 pm

Re: Java

#9 Post by Adamant » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:46 am

Since Oracle blasted Sun to Nova Java is for me a dead distrusted Duck. R.I.P.!
Pure Cyan harms PhotoReceptors doubtless - even half Portion appears mysterious.

Post Reply