My Introduction

Talk about anything and everything related or unrelated to the FreeOrion project, especially Strategy Games.

Moderator: Oberlus

Num7
Space Squid

My Introduction

#1 Post by Num7 »

Hello,

I found about FreeOrion approximately 2 weeks ago. It's a shame I didn't know about this game before. I sort of grew tired over time of most of the RTS games I used to play and figured it was time to sit back and relax while playing a space 4x game instead. After hours of Internet search and after trying several games such as Endless Space, GalCiv, Sins of a Solar Empire, I concluded that FreeOrion is the only game that delivers the gaming experience I'm currently looking for.

FreeOrion is a great game. Clean interfaces, no clutter, it's clean and it works a treat. I'm really interested to see if there's something I can do to be a part of it's success, something to help you guys. I've never contributed to any open source project before.

I got to compile it without trouble in VS2010 and just started exploring the code and checking things around both in the code and in the forum. I'm kind of trying to figure out what is where in the code, so to speak. I work in the IT domain. I don't program so often and when I do, it's always a small sized projects, nothing as big as FO, for instance. In other words, I'm not very familiar with the kind of coding we're talking about here, which makes me, at some extend, an unlikely contributor as far as serious coding goes.

Oh, and I live in Quebec, French is my first language. Although I noticed the French translation is up to date, I'll be glad to help bring it forward if it's ever needed.

So, all in all, I wish to contribute if I can and I definitely look forward to learn new things on the way! See you around! :)

Marc
If this post contains code, it's released under GPL 2.0 or later.

Adrian
Space Floater

Re: My Introduction

#2 Post by Adrian »

Welcome Marc! :o

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#3 Post by Bigjoe5 »

Hi, and welcome to FO. :)
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

Num7
Space Squid

#4 Post by Num7 »

Thank you guys! :)

Num7
Space Squid

#5 Post by Num7 »

Haven't visited or played much of FreeOrion in the last year, and didn't try 0.4.5 before yesterday. You guys did some pretty good work.

I played quite a few other 4X games in the mean time, so I'll try to contribute a bit more by suggesting stuff I think would be nice additions to the game's already rich experience.

I'm not sure I'll contribute to the code because I don't have that much time, but I'd sure love to, especially since FreeOrion is on GitHub now, it'll be much easier to submit modifications.

See ya!

Ouaz
Dyson Forest

#6 Post by Ouaz »

Hello, ami québecois!

I'm the current maintainer of the french translation.

I don't know if you play FO in french or in english, but feel free to submit a PR (in my fork or directly in FO master branch) if you see something wrong or that could be improved regarding the french translation.

See you!
I release every updated file under the CC-BY-SA 3.0 license.

Num7
Space Squid

#7 Post by Num7 »

Sounds good!

I usually play in English, but I'll switch to French and see what I can suggest or improve, if anything!

Thanks for the heads up!