Alien VS Predator

Talk about anything and everything related or unrelated to the FreeOrion project, especially Strategy Games.

Moderator: Oberlus

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

Alien VS Predator

#1 Post by utilae »

Anyone seen this movie. I thought it was cool to have another Alien movie, but this time with those predator guys in (first seen in an Arnie movie "Predator").

Hey ya know the "Aliens VS Predator VS Humans" is like "Zerg VS Protoss VS Humans" in StarCraft. The similarities are pretty amazing:
Aliens=Zerg "they both are reptile/insect looking things that crawl around and pretty much are very similar, i guess they both spit acid too"
Predator=Protoss "they both have scythes, can go invisible and have cool armour, plus both fight melee"
Human=Human "obviously"

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#2 Post by Impaler »

Well I think theirs quite a bit of differnce, Aliens dont realy "assimilate" stuff the way the Zerg do and as far as I know theirs no "Overmind" controling the Aliens they just like a hive of ants/termites with a Queen and a reproduction method like that of various wasp species that lay eggs in Catapillars and Tarantulas.

Predators dont strike me as being like the Protoss, firstly their not endowed with any Pysycic/Psionic powers. They also dont strike me as "Wise" "Anchient", "Noble" or "Stalwart". Their whole culture seems to be based on Hunting stuff ware as the Protoss are more focused on developing their powers mentaly and physicaly but only use these powers in the direst need.

Terrans in StarCraft had a wonderfull "Rednecks in SPAAAACCCE!!" theam to them, dont know how the Humans in this movie are depicted.

I think I will go see this movie though some time this weekend.
Fear is the Mind Killer - Frank Herbert -Dune

drek
Designer Emeritus

#3 Post by drek »

The starcraft races are all derived from Warhammer 4k.

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#4 Post by Impaler »

And we all know WH40K was the first game to have Orcs in it..... :D

drek
Designer Emeritus

#5 Post by drek »

The Zerg are a poor man's Tyranid. Tyranid are virtually identical to the Zerg, including the genetic assimilation stuff and the Hive Mind.

http://uk.games-workshop.com/40kunivers ... ranids.htm

The Protoss are dirived from the Eldar. Notice, there are also Dark Eldar, like the Dark Protoss. (thought the Dark Protoss are much more noble than the Dark Eldar.)

http://uk.games-workshop.com/40kunivers ... /eldar.htm
http://uk.games-workshop.com/40kunivers ... keldar.htm

Finally, the space marines: many of the Starcraft marine vehicles have direct parallels with Warhammer vehicles.

Though it's been a long time (can't remember the exact names) there are warhammer seige tanks, warhammer bike thingies, and warhammer mech-ish units that operate exactly like the dirvative starcraft units.

It's amazing Games Workshop never sued.

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#6 Post by utilae »

Yes, the similarities between StarCraft and Warhammer are even greater.

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#7 Post by Impaler »

If these major Companies started sueing each other it would be bad for everyone involved. One is making table top figurines the other PC games so theirs in my opinion no direct competition (the games are sold in differnt stores and apeal to very differnt types of people), if anything each is acting to BOST to desirability of the others product. Also the WarHammer folks would be hard pressed to prove that THEY were the ones who originaly created the concept of Space marines, Killer Aliens and all this other Space Opera Stuff. They most definetly did not do that as all of use could point to a mountain of Books and Movies they deal with these theams all of which have been re-hashing it for ages. Its realy become the equivilent of a Public Brand, as long as you dont use a word like "zerg" or "Protoss" your basicaly in the clear.

discord
Space Kraken

#8 Post by discord »

slight correction, WH40K Dawn of War, a 'rts' type game, although it's more in the nature of tactics, as most other 'rts' are, if you look at it more closely...but there is a GWI computer game, wich is quite similar to starcraft in look/feel.....personaly i prefer the DoW.

and aliens are biomechanical, most likely created as weapons, just for your information.