I'm here - introduction

Talk about anything and everything related or unrelated to the FreeOrion project, especially Strategy Games.

Moderator: Oberlus

dbenage-cx
Programmer

Re: I'm here - introduction

#196 Post by dbenage-cx »

Even if it were added, I doubt I would ever attach a note to a fleet/ship, unless some other feature makes them unique somehow.

System notes on the other hand I would definitely use and think its a solid idea. (I would not take a lack of response as a bad sign, I think you'd be more likely to hear of any criticisms if the devs had any)

While I believe a full-blown tutorial is planned for (or at least wished for), any improvements in the mean-time to reduce the learning curve would probably be picked up pretty quick. The tutorial is likely a ways off since a) all of the mechanics are not complete/set in stone yet and b) it looks to be a considerable amount of work.

Been enjoying reading through your experiences btw!
Any content posted should be considered licensed GNU GPL 2.0 and/or CC-BY-SA 3.0 as appropriate.

Bromstarzan
Dyson Forest

#197 Post by Bromstarzan »

Like you say dbenage-cx, it would be useful for systems and probably too hard to implement for individual fleets/other objects. No strong motivation for the latter.

I apologize if I came across as "impatient". That is not the case, rather exited. And I know there's heaps of crucial things to fix. A new feature is not necessary, I just thought this could add to both immersion and usefulness.
| i7 7700K [email protected] | GTX 1080 Ti | RAM: 32GB | PSU: 750w | W10 x64 | 2xAcer1920x1080 |

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#198 Post by Vezzra »

Bromstarzan wrote:But having the ability to attach a "comment/to-do/not to-do/other warnings"-note for a system is perhaps doable?
I don't think that would be too hard, and you're not the first one suggesting this. IIRC the basic idea has met approval so far, it's just that this isn't exactly a high priority item. Which means it sits on the vast list of things we want to add eventually.

One of the classic cases of "patches welcome"... :mrgreen:

Bromstarzan
Dyson Forest

#199 Post by Bromstarzan »

I understand, Vezzra. Good to know it's on the list, even though at the bottom :mrgreen:. The problem with creating good software; you have many users with heaps of various ideas and wishes... :lol:
| i7 7700K [email protected] | GTX 1080 Ti | RAM: 32GB | PSU: 750w | W10 x64 | 2xAcer1920x1080 |

Cpeosphoros
Space Kraken

#200 Post by Cpeosphoros »

Bromstarzan wrote:A new feature is not necessary, I just thought this could add to both immersion and usefulness.
That's why I suggested, and the devs greenlighted, moving such ideas to the GitHub issues area. That way, they can stay there for a (even if long) while until someone fancies implementing them. Those things would be useful if implemented, but are not crucial to game playing.
All contributions are released under GPL or LGPL v2 or later, or under appropriate Creative Commons licence, consistent with project guidelines.

Bromstarzan
Dyson Forest

#201 Post by Bromstarzan »

Great stuff Cpeosphoros.

Here's another quickie that I can't seem to find out: Is there some sort of bonus to owning all planets/asteroids in a system (except for the additional shields and defences it generates - which is a good bonus in itself )?

Cpeosphoros
Space Kraken

#202 Post by Cpeosphoros »

Bromstarzan wrote:Here's another quickie that I can't seem to find out: Is there some sort of bonus to owning all planets/asteroids in a system (except for the additional shields and defences it generates - which is a good bonus in itself )?
If you happen to have an Asteroids field there (with an outpost and MG Industry tech) and/or a Gas Giant (outposted + GG Generator), their quiet large production boni applies to all Industry focused planets in the same system.

Other than that, I don't think there are any other boni for owning all planets in a system.

Also, there is a small caveat, if your system lies in the outskirts of your empire and you manage to somehow lose supply to that system, then they will not share production even between themselves.
All contributions are released under GPL or LGPL v2 or later, or under appropriate Creative Commons licence, consistent with project guidelines.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#203 Post by Vezzra »

Bromstarzan wrote:Is there some sort of bonus to owning all planets/asteroids in a system
No.

Bromstarzan
Dyson Forest

#204 Post by Bromstarzan »

Thanks Vezzra, very clear answer :D !
(was thinking in terms of species happiness etc...)

Just "won" my 3rd playthrough (against 2 AI) and feeling happy :lol:. Seriously, I think I start to get the hang of it, at least some aspects of the game. Still just doing "easy" setups, but I obviously need to improve my first 100 turns.

Fantastic fun!

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#205 Post by defaultuser »

In my opinion you should be getting off to a slow military start in most setups because PPs and RPs spent on growth in the early stages pay big dividends later.

Bromstarzan
Dyson Forest

#206 Post by Bromstarzan »

defaultuser wrote:In my opinion you should be getting off to a slow military start in most setups because PPs and RPs spent on growth in the early stages pay big dividends later.
Ok, so that's not really a problem then. I guess it depends on how far behind you're drifting... :lol:

It is really nice to see this after a long session :mrgreen: :

Now off to harder challange; mixing in some more opposition.

Bromstarzan
Dyson Forest

#207 Post by Bromstarzan »

Ok, this 3rd session took off real ugly :lol: (my Human species is light blue now, capitol at Athens n, has so far met with the green Coalition)
No fruitful systems/resources nearby and when I finally do find one (Barnard) it's separated by deep space nodes. All my troop ships run dry on fuel. No way around the wast emptyness. Where are my intergalactic milkcows - I need fuel depots along the way :mrgreen:

I'm squeezed down in a corner, no systems west of here, and to the east there's plenty of triggerhappy Eaxaw :lol:
What would be the obvious thing to do, if I want to connect Barnard with my Athens "home"?
4 deep space nodes seems hard to do anything about? Thinking I need to fight my way east or develop a new solid base at Bernard and eventually abandon Athens.

dbenage-cx
Programmer

#208 Post by dbenage-cx »

What I'd try: Attempt to hold out in Bernard, but take Kulthos asap. Dig in for defense there.

Maybe try to harass/feign Ewia beta and any systems green takes between Kilthos as you prep to take Firma.

(Edit: I need to play more Eaxaw)
Any content posted should be considered licensed GNU GPL 2.0 and/or CC-BY-SA 3.0 as appropriate.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#209 Post by defaultuser »

What's at Kulthos? Obviously an independent homeworld, but what are the particulars?

You never want to abandon your home system.

It's difficult to say much without knowing what you've done so far, what the nearby planets are, and which techs you have been researching.

Bromstarzan
Dyson Forest

#210 Post by Bromstarzan »

Thanks gents for the tips!
Kulthos has Trenchers as well as Hhhoh at small barren and medium tundra, respectively. Not particularly well defended. One planet (large desert) is uninhabited (with Silmaline crystal special). I think I can eventually take that system.
You never want to abandon your home system.
No, I wont do that, rather try to connect those 4 deep space nodes, or simply go around.
It's difficult to say much without knowing what you've done so far, what the nearby planets are, and which techs you have been researching.
Yes, of course, I try to focus a lot on growth and research at the moment, just keeping military just under opposition.
What I'd try: Attempt to hold out in Bernard, but take Kulthos asap. Dig in for defense there.
That's what I thought too. Not much choice :D. Gne has a large desert that I might colonize for industry.
Maybe try to harass/feign Ewia beta and any systems green takes between Kilthos as you prep to take Firma.
Was looking at Firma as my last move in my strategic to-do. So, yes, I'll report back as I go along. I'll see how aggresive my neighbor gets in the following turns :lol: