I'm here - introduction

Talk about anything and everything related or unrelated to the FreeOrion project, especially Strategy Games.

Moderator: Oberlus

Bromstarzan
Dyson Forest

Re: I'm here - introduction

#241 Post by Bromstarzan »

hehe, that's a very elaborated answer to Mat regarding "kindergarten", thanks! :D
What I meant was that the word "monster" sounds silly (a phrase being used by kids), but as I understand now, it is quite common within SF, so with my limited background within the genre, I withdraw my comment :mrgreen:.

[EDIT]: @EricF: I like MUSO :D or just plain "UFO" (the other species have usually been identified somehow).
| i7 7700K [email protected] | GTX 1080 Ti | RAM: 32GB | PSU: 750w | W10 x64 | 2xAcer1920x1080 |

EricF
Space Dragon

#242 Post by EricF »

Bromstarzan wrote: [EDIT]: @EricF: I like MUSO :D or just plain "UFO" (the other species have usually been identified somehow).
I guess you missed my Godzilla(2014) reference.
I can't believe I have to wait till 2019 for the next one. :(
Pacific Rim was awesome too. Giant monsters AND giant robots! Can't go wrong there. :D
Makes me wish I was 8 again so I could really appreciate it.

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#243 Post by AndrewW »

EricF wrote:Pacific Rim was awesome too. Giant monsters AND giant robots! Can't go wrong there. :D
Hmmm, maybe FreeOrion could give invading troops jaegers. Or enemy empires could send Kaiju to weaken your planet prior to takeover.

Bromstarzan
Dyson Forest

#244 Post by Bromstarzan »

EricF wrote:
Bromstarzan wrote: [EDIT]: @EricF: I like MUSO :D or just plain "UFO" (the other species have usually been identified somehow).
I guess you missed my Godzilla(2014) reference.
I can't believe I have to wait till 2019 for the next one. :(
Pacific Rim was awesome too. Giant monsters AND giant robots! Can't go wrong there. :D
Makes me wish I was 8 again so I could really appreciate it.
Got it now, have to watch Godzilla again anytime soon.
Think I watched Pacific Rim too not long ago. Giant monster fighting giant robot, right?
| i7 7700K [email protected] | GTX 1080 Ti | RAM: 32GB | PSU: 750w | W10 x64 | 2xAcer1920x1080 |

EricF
Space Dragon

#245 Post by EricF »

Bromstarzan wrote: Think I watched Pacific Rim too not long ago. Giant monster fighting giant robot, right?
Yup, Kaiju(giant monsters) fighting Jaegers(giant mechas).

The kaiju fighting Godzilla were called MUTOs, Massive Unidentified Terrestrial Organisms

So MUSO for space monsters. :D
But seriously, lets just keep it 'Monsters' in FO. :wink:

Bromstarzan
Dyson Forest

#246 Post by Bromstarzan »

But seriously, lets just keep it 'Monsters' in FO. :wink:
Yep, like I said; I didn't know "monsters" was that deeply rooted/accepted in the SF genre. I totally accept this :mrgreen:

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#247 Post by MatGB »

We have some nascent stuff in the works that'd make, for example, having a Raargh homeworld set to Defence a fairly strong advantage.

And I am looking at a tech to make invading troops better (for balance), I want to avoid "Space Marines" because my former employer gets arsy about using that name, so ideas based around power armour/robots/monsters much appreciated ;-)
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#248 Post by AndrewW »

MatGB wrote:And I am looking at a tech to make invading troops better (for balance), I want to avoid "Space Marines" because my former employer gets arsy about using that name, so ideas based around power armour/robots/monsters much appreciated ;-)
Not really 'Space' as they are fighting on the planetary surface, not in space. Now if you could send boarding parties over to the opposing fleets ships...

Ah, just send in a company of Imperial Marines equipped with battle dress and FGMP's.

Bromstarzan
Dyson Forest

#249 Post by Bromstarzan »

And I am looking at a tech to make invading troops better (for balance), I want to avoid "Space Marines" because my former employer gets arsy about using that name, so ideas based around power armour/robots/monsters much appreciated ;-)
How about "Galactic Legionnaires"? :mrgreen:

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#250 Post by defaultuser »

Powered suits? The Mobile Infantry of course! Heinlein, not Verhoeven.

Rico's Rangers at the ready.

EricF
Space Dragon

#251 Post by EricF »

defaultuser wrote:Powered suits? The Mobile Infantry of course! Heinlein, not Verhoeven.
Ha, the Verhoeven film came across as more of a parody of Starship Troopers.
Almost as bad as Lynch's Dune.
How can someone read a book and so thoroughly misunderstand it?
Some of the sequels were entertaining if you separated in your mind any connection to the original movie or Heinlein's work.

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#252 Post by AndrewW »

EricF wrote:Ha, the Verhoeven film came across as more of a parody of Starship Troopers.
Some of the sequels were entertaining if you separated in your mind any connection to the original movie or Heinlein's work.
That's not unusual for movies. They completely changed the reason he got disciplined during training in the movie. Dunno why they always have to mess with things.

EricF
Space Dragon

#253 Post by EricF »

I thought it was hilarious that the Bugs didn't use weapons.
If one of those Bugs had tried to fight a Heinlein powered armor trooper they'd be ripped to shreds. :lol:

Like when Larry Niven was asked whether he thought the alien in the movie Aliens was scary and his classic response was, "No, the only aliens I'd be afraid of are the ones that can shoot back".

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#254 Post by MatGB »

EricF wrote:
defaultuser wrote:Powered suits? The Mobile Infantry of course! Heinlein, not Verhoeven.
Ha, the Verhoeven film came across as more of a parody of Starship Troopers.
Oh, I think he understood it perfectly.

And hated it, he was on record when the film was out saying it was deliberately a satire and meant to be a warning of how bad a fascist society can be while appearing perfectly reasonable. I liked the film more than the books as it's very hard to read the film as being supportive of the societal setup, whereas the book almost gives the impression it's what Heinlein thought was good—then, his politics changed so much over his writing career that it's always hard to tell what he actually thought.

I'm probably going to call the tech "Assault Troops" unless someone comes up with a non-getting-us-sued name ;-)

(also, I liked the Dune movie when I first watched it at about 11 when it was on release, but having rewatched it a few times since the "originally filmed as a mini-series" problem really shows through)
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

EricF
Space Dragon

#255 Post by EricF »

He he, Games Workshop got slammed hard when they tried to claim they owned the term 'Space Marine'.
Short answer, No You Don't.

And I'll leave the politics behind the book Starship Troopers alone...
All I'll say is what I have already said, people like Verhoeven grotesquely misunderstand it.