Online voice chat meeting, Monday April 26th 2021

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

Online voice chat meeting, Monday April 26th 2021

#1 Post by Vezzra »

Once again the last Monday of the month is upon us. Meaning, it's time for the traditional online voice chat meeting! ;)

Usual time: Monday, April 26th 2021, 6pm UCT or 8pm Vienna/Berlin time

Usual place: Jitsi room https://meet.jit.si/ThoroughNovembersConvertPossibly

Topics: One little thing left from last time, brought up by Cjkjvfnby:
I'd like to talk about some dead code that might be useful in the future for example https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/pull/3299. This discussion has low priority so we could put it to the end.
Cjkjvfnby, it only makes sense to discuss this if you show up, otherwise we will postpone it until next month.

If anyone else has suggestions for topics, please post them here.

Otherwise it's just the usual "anything else that comes to mind".

CU tomorrow! :D

o01eg
Programmer

Re: Online voice chat meeting, Monday April 26th 2021

#2 Post by o01eg »

• Automated weekly test builds
  • New SDK release
  • Godot client
  • Python parsing
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-01-30.0dd6806.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

Cjkjvfnby
AI Contributor

#3 Post by Cjkjvfnby »

I'd like to bring a topic about error-free logs.

At this point, AI logs for 1 turn give us about 35 [errors] in logs.

Most of them are not actual errors, but they produce some noise. It became hard to track real errors. You could miss something important behind it.

For me, error in logs is something that we need to deal with. If we don't want to, we should not log it. There is a lot of legacy and complexity in the project, it really slows us down. Clean logs one of the metrics that help to control tech debt. If new errors start popping in the logs, probably we need to deal with them. Like tests, logs help developers when they are green. In that case you will notice the problem right when it was created.

Maybe we could implement some error counter and provide its API to Python (AI or siterips). In that case, we could enable new errors notification to users in development builds.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#4 Post by LienRag »

Cjkjvfnby wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:51 am I'd like to bring a topic about error-free logs.
If the noise you're talking about has some reason to be created, would it be difficult to create two logfiles, one full with the noise in it and one with only the important errors ?

Cjkjvfnby
AI Contributor

#5 Post by Cjkjvfnby »

LienRag wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:14 pm
Cjkjvfnby wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:51 am I'd like to bring a topic about error-free logs.
If the noise you're talking about has some reason to be created, would it be difficult to create two logfiles, one full with the noise in it and one with only the important errors ?

I think there is no reason to create errors. You can either fix them or reduce them to a warning. An important part of green logs is fast feedback. When the project has tight coupling you don't have time to retest everything. Logs are one of the tools that might help to find an issue fast.

Actually, most errors in logs are easily fixable. I am fixing them now, months after they were introduced.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Cjkjvfnby
AI Contributor

#6 Post by Cjkjvfnby »

I don't know if you have heard about git pre-commit hooks and pre-commit tool, so I can talk about it at the next meeting.
I use it for about a year, and very happy with it.

Here is a PR about it https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/pull/3469