0.4.7 preparations

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
Message
Author
dbenage-cx
Programmer
Posts: 389
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:08 am

Re: 0.4.7 preparations

#31 Post by dbenage-cx » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:12 pm

Should minimum requirements be part of key/notable changes?
2c3c3e0 Raise minimum required boost version to 1.56

User avatar
Vezzra
Release Manager, Design
Posts: 4610
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:56 pm
Location: Sol III

Re: 0.4.7 preparations

#32 Post by Vezzra » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:03 pm

dbenage-cx wrote:Should minimum requirements be part of key/notable changes?
No, our changelog is strictly focused on things relevant for players, technical stuff like this normally isn't included.

User avatar
MatGB
Creative Contributor
Posts: 3310
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:45 pm

Re: 0.4.7 preparations

#33 Post by MatGB » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:14 pm

Geoff the Medio wrote:
MatGB wrote:I (again) find the GUI list horribly confusing...
It was compiled based on the order stuff appeared in the commit logs, not any thematic organization beyond "is this GUI-related?".
Oh yeah, not at all a criticism, I tried to do the changelog once: it took me ages and I hated it, that you can do it quickly is a thing I don't complain about, but if I can then refactor it for ease of reading (if) then that's worth it.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

User avatar
Vezzra
Release Manager, Design
Posts: 4610
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:56 pm
Location: Sol III

Re: 0.4.7 preparations

#34 Post by Vezzra » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:47 am

There are currently two things being worked on/undecided concerning the release: Mat wanted to reorder some things in the changelog (see above), and Dilvish' request in issue#1483 to make the medium and larger skrill swarms not stealthy. As it's only a little more than two hours until the RC1 deadline, I wanted to know if I should postpone the deadline a bit?

As I have an appointment this evening, I can only postpone for maybe two hours (that would be 2pm UTC then) if I want to get RC1 out today. Otherwise I can postpone the deadline until tomorrow 10am UTC.

Mat, Dilvish?

User avatar
Dilvish
AI Lead, Programmer
Posts: 4687
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:25 pm

Re: 0.4.7 preparations

#35 Post by Dilvish » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:57 pm

Looks like you guys reached agreement on the Krill, and so the remaining item is the change log. Having it reorganized for clarity the way Mat was talking about sounds worthwhile to me, even if it means a bit of a delay.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

User avatar
Vezzra
Release Manager, Design
Posts: 4610
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:56 pm
Location: Sol III

Re: 0.4.7 preparations

#36 Post by Vezzra » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:04 pm

Dilvish wrote:Having it reorganized for clarity the way Mat was talking about sounds worthwhile to me, even if it means a bit of a delay.
Unfortunately Mat had a flu relapse (I've pm'ed him), and isn't in any shape to do that now. So, not going to happen. Unless we're going to have RC2 (which, judging by past experience, is likely), then of course there is time to get that in. ;)

User avatar
mem359
Dyson Forest
Posts: 214
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:18 am

Re: 0.4.7 preparations

#37 Post by mem359 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:32 pm

Vezzra wrote:Unless we're going to have RC2 (which, judging by past experience, is likely), then of course there is time to get that in. ;)
Since the current plan is "release" 2 weeks after RC1, maybe modify the plan to have a RC2 after 1 week (and one week before release).
If the only change is Mat's work (assuming he is feeling better before the 20th), then that just makes things easier.

User avatar
MatGB
Creative Contributor
Posts: 3310
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:45 pm

Re: 0.4.7 preparations

#38 Post by MatGB » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:54 pm

Generally an RC is setup, if that's found to be working after testing (which needs to be fairly thorough by a bunch of people) then that exact build becomes the release, Vezzra just renames the file. I would not want to have an RC2 and another chunk of testing just to make the changelog more readable, that would be silly.

If, however, someone finds a bug we need to squash then doing both is perfectly viable: it's a mere presentation/stylistic issue and doesn't really matter at all.

(edit: I'm recovering from flu and have had to come off decongestants because if you take them for too long it can cause long term damage to the sinuses, so while I'm much better, it feels worse because no pills, I will likely be fine in the next day or so but it is really annoying and my ability to think straight comes and goes randomly)
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

User avatar
Vezzra
Release Manager, Design
Posts: 4610
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:56 pm
Location: Sol III

Re: 0.4.7 preparations

#39 Post by Vezzra » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:14 pm

0.4.7 Release Candidate 1 is out.

Vigorous playtesting may now commence. 8)

User avatar
Dilvish
AI Lead, Programmer
Posts: 4687
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:25 pm

Re: 0.4.7 preparations

#40 Post by Dilvish » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:57 pm

I would like to propose (at least for consideration) the production queue doubleclick fix for cherry picking to 0.4.7. The bug it fixes is fairly minor, and by itself might not really merit cherry picking (and the concomitant requirement to do an RC2), but it seems that in conjunction with the desire for Mat's restructuring of the changelog it is probably worthwhile. I have merged the PR into master and also flagged it for cherry picking (though perhaps that is premature? I am not totally sure of what process we want to follow for such things).
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

User avatar
Dilvish
AI Lead, Programmer
Posts: 4687
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:25 pm

Re: 0.4.7 preparations

#41 Post by Dilvish » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:57 am

I just flagged a fairly significant bug for the AI: https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/issues/1494

I hope to have a fix submitted promptly.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

User avatar
Vezzra
Release Manager, Design
Posts: 4610
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:56 pm
Location: Sol III

Re: 0.4.7 preparations

#42 Post by Vezzra » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:59 am

As Dilvish already noted, issue#1494 is sufficiently serious to require a second release candidate. Deadline for RC2 will be coming Friday (April 21st, 10am UTC). I won't have sufficient FO time on Wednesday and Thursday, and Tuesday seems a bit too soon, I want to give you guys enough time to get the required fixes in (not only for #1494, but also the minor things that turned up). If you need more time, please speak up. :)

I've kept the deadline for declaring the final release for now, as roughly a week seems enough time to test RC2.

The release checklist issue has been updated accordingly.

User avatar
Vezzra
Release Manager, Design
Posts: 4610
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:56 pm
Location: Sol III

Re: 0.4.7 preparations

#43 Post by Vezzra » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:32 am

Dilvish wrote:I have merged the PR into master and also flagged it for cherry picking (though perhaps that is premature? I am not totally sure of what process we want to follow for such things).
That's the correct procedure. If you create/merge a PR you think should be cherry-picked, tag it as such. If someone objects, that will trigger a discussion, and depending on the resolution of this discussion the PR will remain tagged for cherry picking or the tag will be removed. At least, that has been my idea when I added that label.

The label should be removed once the cherry picking has been done. This way you can easily query for PRs which still need to be cherry picked.

User avatar
Vezzra
Release Manager, Design
Posts: 4610
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:56 pm
Location: Sol III

Re: 0.4.7 preparations

#44 Post by Vezzra » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:43 pm

I've updated the changelog again to add the recent changes, please check and feel free to commit any corrections you deem necessary.

It's less than 12 hours until the deadline for RC2, and we have two critical issues/PRs pending, so I'm considering postponing the deadline to give you guys some more time to finalize/address them (no need to rush things ;)). How much more time you think you're going to need? Any estimates?

User avatar
Dilvish
AI Lead, Programmer
Posts: 4687
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:25 pm

Re: 0.4.7 preparations

#45 Post by Dilvish » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:22 am

Vezzra, heads-up, there are a couple AI issues of weak/semi-buggy buggy behavior, discussed here. I think I have fairly straightforward fixes (or at least, improvements) for them both and will try to post PRs for them both within the next half hour to an hour, so that there might be a small bit of time for anyone to comment on them and so you could decide if they seem suitable to cherry pick for RC2.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Post Reply