A question about planetary stealth

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
Voyager
Space Krill

A question about planetary stealth

#1 Post by Voyager »

Is it possible that if a planets stealth meter is to high, that I will not be able to take out it's shield and defenses? I am asking because I certainly have a fleet in orbit with the attack capability to destroy the planets small defense and shield but my ships don't attack it.
Attachments
and if it helps, my empire detection strength  is at 10
and if it helps, my empire detection strength is at 10
Free Orion question.png (200.04 KiB) Viewed 6537 times

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: A question about planetary stealth

#2 Post by Dilvish »

Correct, your empire's detection strength (shown on the pedia page for your empire, and influenced by techs and sometimes planetary specials) must be greater than the stealth of a ship or planet for you to be able to attack it. It takes a fair bit of tech to be able to see a Lanefa colony; in this particular case you could get there more quickly by researching the Lighthouse tech and building one in that same system.

(and the reason you see there is a Laenfa colony there at all is because it must have been visible to you when it was first colonized with Laenfa; it takes one turn for their stealth to kick in.)
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#3 Post by MatGB »

I suspect the reason is that there has been a combat there and the planet has fired it's defences during a combat. If a combat is forced by two different fleets, the defending planet(s) will fire even if stealthed (that currently can't be turned off in the UI, it probably ought to be an option), but regardless you can't invade until you can see the planet.

For what it's worth, I've long considered the requirement that you've researched Neutron Scanner in order to be able to see/invade a Laenfa planet even with no other modifiers to be a bit too strong, but we haven't reworked Stealth yet and it's likely to be discussed at that point.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#4 Post by defaultuser »

I've even had the problem of attacking the Experimenters planet with the highest detection level and have an ion storm roll in to shut things down for a bit.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#5 Post by MatGB »

defaultuser wrote:I've even had the problem of attacking the Experimenters planet with the highest detection level and have an ion storm roll in to shut things down for a bit.
Yeah, that one's annoying: we do plan, very early on, to redo the stealth numbers and have parts that affect things, etc: having, for example, an "Ion Scanner" as a Core slot that reduces opposing stealth in the system by, in current numbers, 40, wouldn't be a bad idea.

Even a part that reduces opposing stealth by, say, 10 points each turn making things more visible the longer they stay in place. But it's all post-release planning.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.