0.4.8 roadmap

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

Re: 0.4.8 roadmap

#31 Post by Vezzra »

The release branch for 0.4.8 has been created.

Attention: from this point on, the commits of PRs that are assigned to the mandatory milestone need to be cherry picked to the release branch once they have been merged. To help manage this, please tag those PRs accordingly with the "status:cherry pick for release" label. The same applies to PRs assigned to the optional milestone which fix bugs that have been present in master prior to the creation of the release branch.

All other PRs (those that are neither assigned to the mandatory milestone nor fix bugs that have been present in master prior to the creation of the release branch) should not be cherry picked to the release branch. The only things happening on the release branch are incorporating changes/features which are required for the release, bugfixes, and prep work for the release (like updating the changelog). No new (optional) features, to avoid introducing bugs which then need to be fixed.

If someone thinks there is something for wich we should make an exception to these rules, please post a proposal here in this thread and explain why you think it should be incorporated into the release.

Another thing I ran into when I created the release branch: we used to remove the Super Testers from the release branch. However, as they can be controlled by a game rule now, this raises the question if that's still necessary. IMO it would be sufficient to switch the default for the game rule from On to Off. That would give players who only use stable releases the possibility to enable the Super Testers, if they are so inclined.

Opinions, objections?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#32 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Vezzra wrote:IMO it would be sufficient to switch the default for the game rule [for Super Testers] from On to Off.
Sounds reasonable.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#33 Post by Vezzra »

As some things (applies primarily to some bugfixes) are committed directly to master without being provided as PR first, I've created a github project to manage the commits which need to/shall be cherry picked to the release branch. Both PRs and commits that went directly into master shall be managed there.

The "Proposed" column contains entries for all PRs/commits which have been suggested for cherry picking (or need to be cherry picked), but haven't been so far. The "Accepted" column contains the entries of PRs/commits that already have been cherry picked, and the "Rejected" column is for the unlikely case of PRs/commits that have been rejected for inclusion into the release (can only happen for things that have been proposed for cherry picking although they are neither considered mandatory for the release nor fixes for bugs present in master prior to the creation of the release branch).

Proceed as follows:
  • If you have a PR that shall be cherry picked to the release branch, add it to the "Proposed" column (in addition to tagging it as "cherry pick for release" as already explained in a prior post above). If the PR is one of those that need discussion and approval first (because neither mandatory nor bugfix), check the "Rejected" column first if it has already been proposed and rejected before. If not, go ahead and add it, and also post the proposal here in this thread with an explanation why you think it should be included in the release (this too has already been covered by an earlier post above).
  • If you have something that has been committed directly to master which shall be cherry picked to the release branch, you need to create a respective entry in the "Proposed" column manually, which should contain a link/links to the commit/commits in question. If it is something that needs discussion first, see the above point about PRs.
  • Unless the PR/commit(s) gets rejected, someone will get around to cherry pick the respective commit(s) to the release branch (which will be me in most cases, I guess, but anyway). That person also needs to move the respective entry from the "Proposed" column to the "Accepted" column. In case of a PR, the "cherry pick for release" label needs to be removed (to indicate that the cherry picking has already been done).
  • If (a) proposed PR/commit(s) is/are rejected from inclusion into the release, the corresponding entry needs to be moved to the "Rejected" column. In case of a PR, the "cherry pick for release" label needs to be removed (to indicate that no cherry picking should be done). Keeping track of rejected entries for cherry picking is just a means to make sure some things don't get suggested multiple times. Probably overkill, as this case should be so rare that we won't loose track of what has already been proposed and what hasn't, but still. Better safe than sorry. ;)

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#34 Post by Dilvish »

I think we should cherry pick PR #2102 (by default prevents AI from redoing orders for a turn right after savegame load) for 0.4.8. Although we've downgraded #1794 (about the AI key error after savegame load) to optional after changing the related logging to warn level for the 0.4.8 branch, there is still some underlying bugginess going on, and the changes of this PR should make it so that by default those are at least reduced (and perhaps avoided entirely).
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#35 Post by Vezzra »

Something I forgot to mention: all stuff that has been on hold because it shouldn't go in for 0.4.8 can be merged/comitted to master now that the release branch has been created. Which means, "post 0.4.8" PRs can be merged if they are ready.

adrian_broher
Programmer

#36 Post by adrian_broher »

Vezzra, what about issues labeled with 'category:feature' or 'category:tweak' within the 'v0.4.8 (optional)' milestone? Can we mass reassign those to the 'post v0.4.8' milestone? Maybe there are some relevant and simple bugs in the optional milestone that can be fixed without much of a hassle, but I don't want to sift through the vast amount of issues just to pick the nice and easy ones.
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#37 Post by Ophiuchus »

I also have a question about the Fulver species which should facilitate an aggressive non-distributed strategy using the stockpile (GOOD _stockpile _weapons).

I can see some options for them
  • go into 0.4.8 and master - because hey, its the stockpile release and they are stockpile users
  • go into 0.4.8 only - special feature for the 0.4.8 release
  • go into master ASAP - so they are in the test builds and can mature there
if they go to into master and they are not good for the species mix or turn out to be game breaking or boring - we could kick them out or make them native before the next release.

In hindsight i should have added something like the Fulver in the stockpile design phase. As we probably will tweak stockpile growth and tech in the coming iteration, i would definitly like to have them for that purpose. (and i hope i'll be able to add sth to AI)

i personally would prefer them to be in the 0.4.8 release also, but maybe they are not ready for prime time.

p.s: for influence we should probably also have good, bad, great _influence playable species avaliable from the start to get a feeling for the effects.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Geoff the Medio

#38 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Given lack of testing / novelty, I'd put new species into master for now.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#39 Post by Vezzra »

adrian_broher wrote:Vezzra, what about issues labeled with 'category:feature' or 'category:tweak' within the 'v0.4.8 (optional)' milestone? Can we mass reassign those to the 'post v0.4.8' milestone? Maybe there are some relevant and simple bugs in the optional milestone that can be fixed without much of a hassle, but I don't want to sift through the vast amount of issues just to pick the nice and easy ones.
Yep, sounds reasonable. Just went ahead and did the reassigning. I also included "category:refactoring", or, to me more precise, everything that doesn't have the "category:bug" label.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#40 Post by Vezzra »

Ophiuchus wrote:I also have a question about the Fulver species which should facilitate an aggressive non-distributed strategy using the stockpile (GOOD _stockpile _weapons).

[...]

i personally would prefer them to be in the 0.4.8 release also, but maybe they are not ready for prime time.
Geoff the Medio wrote:Given lack of testing / novelty, I'd put new species into master for now.
What Geoff said. This release is already so much delayed, I really don't want to add anything that isn't a bugfix and has even a remote chance of delaying things further.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#41 Post by Vezzra »

We have finally managed to clear/finish all release blocking issues and PRs, there are no entries left in the "v0.4.8 (mandatory)" milestone. Which means we can proceed with getting out RC1.

As Marcel wants to fix some of the bugs assigned to the optional milestone, and there is also another (optional) bugfix Dilvish wants to get in, I want to give them at least a few days for that. So, my suggestion is to set the deadline for RC1 to Thursday next week, June 14th, 1pm UTC. Is that ok? Or should I give it a few more days (until Sunday 17th maybe)? Marcel? Dilvish? Geoff?

Geoff the Medio

#42 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Presumably I also need to compile a changelog. Might have time this weekend...

For that, various contributors' notable key feature suggestions would be helpful, as usual focusing on major player-visible changes, not effort involved in implementation.

adrian_broher
Programmer

#43 Post by adrian_broher »

Vezzra wrote:So, my suggestion is to set the deadline for RC1 to Thursday next week, June 14th, 1pm UTC. Is that ok? Or should I give it a few more days (until Sunday 17th maybe)? Marcel? Dilvish? Geoff?
Do whatever you seem fit. I'm just trying cram in some of the easy, old and low probability of breaking issues.
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#44 Post by Vezzra »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Presumably I also need to compile a changelog.
Oh, oops, sorry, that totally slipped my mind. :oops: Yes, of course, please, if you could take over that task again, that would be great.
For that, various contributors' notable key feature suggestions would be helpful, as usual focusing on major player-visible changes, not effort involved in implementation.
Aside from the obvious (Imperial Stockpile) nothing comes to my mind immediately, but I'll try to find the time to look over the closed/merged issues/PRs myself this weekend.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#45 Post by Vezzra »

adrian_broher wrote:Do whatever you seem fit. I'm just trying cram in some of the easy, old and low probability of breaking issues.
Ok, in that case I'll stick with the coming Thursday date. So that's decided (unless something comes up of course).

So these are the deadlines for RC1 and (assuming we don't need a RC2) declaring the release:
  • Release Candidate 1: June 14th, 1pm UTC. Everything that should be cherry picked, changelog updates etc. need to go in until that time.
  • Declaring the release: June 28th, 1pm UTC. I want to give at least two weeks of playtesting for the first release candidate. Especially since there might have been less playtesting these last months than usual.
The release management issue has been updated accordingly.