FO praises!

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
freeo-fan
Space Krill

FO praises!

#1 Post by freeo-fan »

Dear FO'ers!

I just discovered FO and played a few games. I must say FO is amazing!

I'm an old MoO 1+2 player, and I was a bit sceptical due to the slight lack of graphical appeal in FO. But hey, a brain with well-trained fantasy muscles can easily make up for that. You put soo many nice details and ideas into this game. And it gets well rid of micromanagement hassle without sacrificing control.

I am an huge fan of the tactical combat in MoO2, but know what: I'm not even missing it in the current FO. The battle report gives me a feeling of reality, and an understanding of what happened. Much better than a simple "X won and had Y ships lost" in other games, where I feel a bit "cheated". I understand that there is/was development ongoing for FO tactical combat, but I'm not sure it is even needed. But as long as this is added as an option one could test it and also switch back to the current combat model.

So, thanks a lot for your work and a great game so far! I'll lurk around more and see if/how I can contribute (no programmer, sorry).

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: FO praises!

#2 Post by Oberlus »

Welcome!
I also found FO when I was looking for a substitute for MoO2.

freeo-fan wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:56 am I understand that there is/was development ongoing for FO tactical combat, but I'm not sure it is even needed. But as long as this is added as an option one could test it and also switch back to the current combat model.
It's still an option (not developed) for single player mode, but any multiplayer you ask about will tell you "NO! I WANT FAST TURNS!". So it seems interactive tactic combat won't happen in this decade.
I'll lurk around more and see if/how I can contribute (no programmer, sorry).
If you can play in a daily basis and devote say one hour (total) of your time in different moments of the day (morning, afternoon, evening), you could join the next multiplayer game in soon to come Magnate's server, or the (not published yet) following one in o01eg's server. Or both! they'll be concurrent. On average we are playing 3-4 turns per day, sometimes more when the planets get aligned.

adrian_broher
Programmer

Re: FO praises!

#3 Post by adrian_broher »

> So, thanks a lot for your work and a great game so far! I'll lurk around more and see if/how I can contribute (no programmer, sorry).

That entirely depends on how much time you are willing to contribute and what your skills are. I usually consider the following tasks good entry level tasks for every open source project:
  • Translations (assuming you are speaking natively a language, which is currently not maintained or missing entirely).
  • Testing (assuming you understand the game mechanics well enough and you are able to write bug reports or/and make improvement suggestions.
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz