0.4.10.2 maintenance release

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

0.4.10.2 maintenance release

#1 Post by Vezzra »

At our last online voice chat meeting it has been suggested to make another maintenance release for the 0.4.10 release, as 0.5 is still months away and there are a few things that need fixing/maintenance in 0.4.10.

We're trying to keep the things that go into that maintenace release to a minimum, so definitely no backporting of new features in the master branch or anything else that isn't strictly a fix for some really serious issue, or necessary adjustments (e.g. to keep 0.4.10 compatible with current versions of various Linux distros).

I've created a 0.4.10.2 milestone, it's intended for PRs created for stuff that shall go into the release.

Also, please post suggestions of what need to go into 0.4.10.2 here in this thread, so we can compile a comprehensive list and keep track of what has already been merged and what still needs to be integrated. Once everything has been merged/committed, I'll go through the usual release procedure: making a release candidate, give it a bit time for testing, if issues turn up fix them, repeat until we get a sufficiently stable RC and declare the release.

I hope to get this maintenance release out in August.

Grummel7
Space Dragon

Re: 0.4.10.2 maintenance release

#2 Post by Grummel7 »

That reminds me I once played 0.4.10.1 and reported a list of bugs.
I guess most of them should be easy to fix and thus be included in 0.4.10.2:

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#3 Post by Vezzra »

Well, to quote myself (emphasis added):
Vezzra wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:38 pmWe're trying to keep the things that go into that maintenace release to a minimum, so definitely no backporting of new features in the master branch or anything else that isn't strictly a fix for some really serious issue, or necessary adjustments (e.g. to keep 0.4.10 compatible with current versions of various Linux distros).
There are probably quite a lot of not too complicated fixes which could be backported, but that's not really the intent of this maintenance release. The main reason why it has been requested (by o01eg) was to backport adjustments/fixes that keep FO compatible with recent versions of major Linux distros, so that the current stable release of FO does not get thrown out, so to speak.

Of course, any fix that addressed a serious bug should be backported too if we're going to make a maintenance release, but anything less than something really serious would make it too much of an effort. The only reason we're considering another maintenance release is because 0.5 is still months away from getting release ready.

So, if any of the bugs on your list fulfill these requirements, feel free to list them here. But please not every tiny fix that might be nice to include - as stated above, we're trying to keep things to a minimum.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#4 Post by Vezzra »

0.4.10.2 RC1 has been released.

I know the incentive is probably low, but if at least some of you guys could playtest this release candidate for 0.4.10.2 a bit, that would be much appreciated... :D

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#5 Post by Vezzra »

FreeOrion v0.4.10.2 has been released.