IRC-Chat

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
elfstone
Space Squid

IRC-Chat

#1 Post by elfstone »

I just tried to contact some guys from here on the irc, but i found the channel to be totally empty.
I think a project like this should have a little irc-presence, to talk about ideas.

Since there are a few ppl online in the forum most of the time, i think it should be possible, to collect some ppl for the irc too.

And after a while with a few ppl in the channel, more people will come to the channel all by them self.

Nightfish
FreeOrion Designer / Space Monster

#2 Post by Nightfish »

Initially, I think tyreth spent a lot of time on the IRC channel. I checked on it a couple of times, but usually it was just as empty as you just found it to be. In principle, I don't see why it shouldn't be possible to meet every once in a while. Of course we'd have to have something to talk about, too.

The difficult thing is, that we have people from australia (hi boss!), from america (hi other boss!) and from europe, too. So, finding a time convenient to everybody is a "little" hard.

Maybe we could/should revive the monthly scheduled meetings?

(Also, if you need to get in touch with someone, you can send a private message on the forum, or take a look if the person in question has some sort of messenger system or email by checking the profile. Hope that helps)

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#3 Post by Aquitaine »

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but how do you expect us to staff an IRC channel 24/7?

We periodically schedule IRC chats. When we do so, we try to give at least a week's notice. We'll probably give one after the v0.2 design doc is finished (since us designers won't have much else to do).

To be quite frank, there is plenty of talking about ideas. Talking about ideas is necessary some of the time, but the vast majority of the people interested in this project have one pertinent skill, and that's talking about ideas. If you're a graphic designer or a programmer and you want to help out, there are people you can talk to that will get you started. If you're an idea-person, then please use the mechanism provided to discuss the current issues under review (another will begin tomorrow). Suffice to say that there is a forum for structured idea discussion and one for just throwing out crazy ideas (game design and brainstorming, respectively), and that the last thing I need, personally, is to increase the noise ratio.

I apologize if this sounds a little harsh, and I absolutely do not mean to single you out (welcome to FreeOrion! :wink:). But please understand that you are not the first person who has appeared and started informing us how we ought to run this project after spending a couple days here. If anything, though, I'd cut you some slack since our bevy of announcements and the posts that describe what to do and what not to do are living with the old bulletin board, so don't worry about it, just realize that this happens a lot. :)

Thanks!
Aquitaine
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!

elfstone
Space Squid

#4 Post by elfstone »

I dont think, its necessary, to "staff" the irc-channel, so that 24/7 someone staffy is there, just to hang around once a while, idling while you programm and so on.

I know irc-channels with 10 ppl, that are never empty, and most of the time, somebody is there to talk too.

Btw, i idled about 1 hour in the channel, then somebody came in, and wanted to know something about freeorion, so there is at least some interest in an irc-channel.

I definitly dont want to tell you, how to run this project, especially not since i realise how large it is. I just wondered why there's noone in the irc-channel.

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#5 Post by Aquitaine »

Okay, but think about what you're asking.

IRC channels with ten people on all the time have ten people there for a reason. Occasionally, one of us will hang out in the IRC channel, but only occasionally. If there's interest and people want to know stuff, they should come here (and if they know about the IRC channel, chances are they know about the forums).

So yeah, we are there occasionally, but it's not official. Sorry we weren't there now. :) But most of us work full-time and have lives; I try to manage myself so that the time I spend here is contributing to something the project really needs. And you're right in that the project needs a good public face and to keep interest up, but unfortunately there is only one of me (there may be several Nightfishes, I'm not sure how one person can post that much).

anyway, we'll do what we can, but every minute we spend in IRC is a minute we're not doing something else. :?
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!

Nightfish
FreeOrion Designer / Space Monster

#6 Post by Nightfish »

Aquitaine wrote:(there may be several Nightfishes, I'm not sure how one person can post that much)
[chorus]
We'll tell you if you promise not to delete our posts again :wink:
[/chorus]

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#7 Post by Tyreth »

I used to log in regularly to IRC, but the habit died. I may try to revive it again :)

OceanMachine
Pupating Mass

#8 Post by OceanMachine »

FYI, I've been logging on to IRC while I do game-related work lately, so you may see me if you drop by late night US time. And I'm on now, and probably for the next hour as well...
Programming Lead

miu
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#freeorion advertisement

#9 Post by miu »

Just to let you know the #freeorion has been quite alive recently, having developers and ramdom lurkers there daily. Come in and join the chat :)
Difference between a man and a gentleman is that a man does what he wants, a gentleman does what he should. - Albert Camus

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#10 Post by pd »

server is: irc.freenode.org (port 6667)
channel : #freeorion

:)

Mystiqq
Space Kraken

#11 Post by Mystiqq »

Is this info still valid? seems to be pretty dead to me.

noelte
Juggernaut

#12 Post by noelte »

Mystiqq wrote:Is this info still valid? seems to be pretty dead to me.
it is (both)
Press any key to continue or any other key to cancel.
Can COWs fly?

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#13 Post by Tyreth »

If I'm online, I'm logged into the IRC channel.