The inevitable "What's Next after 4.3?" post

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

The inevitable "What's Next after 4.3?" post

#1 Post by eleazar »

This is where the devs or other contributors announce new features that you think you could do in the next 4-6 month in time for the next release. All of these have been discussed before, but many may need some further development.

I'll start by listing various desired features that i think we've laid the groundwork for, most of which haven't made it into the last couple releases.
  • Python-scripted universe generation

New ships part slot type: "Special" or "Large"

Bombing Planets

Basic Happiness implementation

invasion boost species pics, troop balancing

Further refinement of the "Core" Starlane display

EDIT: a couple more...

Empire stat charts viewable in game.

AI empires initiate peace and war for plausible reasons, and reject & accept offers.

adrian_broher
Programmer

Re: The inevitable "What's Next after 4.3?" post

#2 Post by adrian_broher »

Those points are not discussed in detail, but where mentioned in some threads or personally I would like to contribute to:
  • Proper linux releases and installations with cmake
  • Better window management (snap to display border, snap to each other, os window resize should affect the internal GiGi windows and other bad behaviours)
  • Saving and restoring window layouts
  • Proper widget layout for fitting translations
  • Proper translation interface utilities or replacing the current implementation with gettext
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz

eleazar

#3 Post by eleazar »

adrian_broher wrote:[*]Better window management (snap to display border, snap to each other, os window resize should affect the internal GiGi windows and other bad behaviours)[/*]
[*]Saving and restoring window layouts[/*]
[/list]
Those would be so very welcome!

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

adrian_broher wrote:...replacing the current implementation with gettext
That seems very counterproductive. As far as I understand, the whole idea of gettext is to do substitutions of user-read strings that are embedded directly in code. The FreeOrion stringtable already moves all readable strings out to a separately editable stingtable file.

adrian_broher
Programmer

#5 Post by adrian_broher »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
adrian_broher wrote:...replacing the current implementation with gettext
That seems very counterproductive. As far as I understand, the whole idea of gettext is to do substitutions of user-read strings that are embedded directly in code. The FreeOrion stringtable already moves all readable strings out to a separately editable stingtable file.
I could point out why the current implementation is awful (also (especially?) about the claimed 'advantage' of 'moving out strings into a editable stringtable file'), but that deserves a separate thread.
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz

eleazar

#6 Post by eleazar »

adrian_broher wrote:...but that deserves a separate thread.
Yeah please put more than the briefest discussion of features in their own thread.

Adrian
Space Floater

#7 Post by Adrian »

adrian_broher wrote:
  • Better window management (snap to display border, snap to each other, os window resize should affect the internal GiGi windows and other bad behaviours)
  • Saving and restoring window layouts
Yes please, I've been wanting this for a long time. I still find the lack of these annoying.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#8 Post by Dilvish »

eleazar wrote:Empire stat charts viewable in game.
As a first step related to that, I've been planning on having the empire manager calculate empire rankings based on a score stat as discussed in the thread you link, and displaying those rankings in the empire window where yandonman recently added display of PP, RP, etc. I think it would be reasonable for the ranking info to be open even if we gate access to more detailed info via Espionage. Adding a tab to the empire window which shows a chart of these rankings over time would probably be reasonable also. I'd be glad to take responsibility for the basic ranking info being available, the charting is something I would be willing to look at look at but wouldn't commit to just now.
AI empires initiate peace and war for plausible reasons, and reject & accept offers.
The AI currently accepts and rejects peace offers on a random basis; I'd be willing to commit to putting some more substance there for 4.4, though not committing to the fullblown alliance system discussed in this thread being ready for 4.4.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#9 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Dilvish wrote:...the charting is something I would be willing to look at look at but wouldn't commit to just now.
A line chart widget shouldn't be difficult to set up with GL calls to render the lines, with the widget scaling to fit available space. Pie charts similarly shouldn't be too difficult to render.

What Exit?
Space Floater

#10 Post by What Exit? »

adrian_broher wrote:* Better window management (snap to display border, snap to each other, os window resize should affect the internal GiGi windows and other bad behaviours)
* Saving and restoring window layouts
These would be huge for the enjoyment of playing the game.