GitHub migration procedure

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

Re: GitHub migration procedure

#46 Post by Vezzra »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Can you confirm if I've already done this?
Well, not directly, as I can't take a look at your account settings for obvious reasons. But when I made test imports of the FO SVN repo on SF, and didn't assign anything on the import page authors list, your commits still got reliably associated to your account (I did three tests, it happened in all of them), without me having to do anything. And you said you already did that claiming your commits thing for the mirror repo, which I expect to be sufficient, because it was cloned from the same svn repo, hence the resulting pseudo-email for you ("geoffthemedio@<svn-repo-uuid>") should be the identical to the one the github importer constructed.

Anyway, you can check that easily yourself: just look up the your pseudo-email on the import page of the freeorion repo and compare it to the one you've added to your account when you claimed the commits of the mirror repo. If they are the same, you're set, AFAICT.
Who can't do this now?
Everyone who does not actively follow our discussions and the migration process. So all the people long gone, eleazar, pd, tzlaine etc. Even Marcel will miss it if he does not pay a visit right now. We can't add the pseudo-emails to their accounts for them, they need to do that themselves. And I assume we don't want to wait with the migration until Marcel decides to drop by.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#47 Post by Vezzra »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Edit: Also, was it decided to switch to using the github issue tracker?
Nothing yet. Dilvish and Cjkjvfnby expressed a preference for closing the trackers on SF, which would be mine too, no one else offered an opinion, so I guess that's all the votes you're going to get.

Ultimately, the decision is yours. You know, being project lead and all... ;) If you decide to offer "no preference", that most likely will mean close the trackers on SF (btw, is there a possibility to set them to read-only, because I assume we don't want to loose all the entries there?), and switch completely to the github issue tracker.

Cjkjvfnby
AI Contributor

#48 Post by Cjkjvfnby »

Vezzra wrote:
Geoff the Medio wrote:Edit: Also, was it decided to switch to using the github issue tracker?
Nothing yet. Dilvish and Cjkjvfnby expressed a preference for closing the trackers on SF, which would be mine too, no one else offered an opinion, so I guess that's all the votes you're going to get.

Ultimately, the decision is yours. You know, being project lead and all... ;) If you decide to offer "no preference", that most likely will mean close the trackers on SF (btw, is there a possibility to set them to read-only, because I assume we don't want to loose all the entries there?), and switch completely to the github issue tracker.
You can disable issues on github at current time and make link to sf in readme. It will save time.

Last tracker issue

Code: Select all

565 	Game crash when fleets are merged 	    open 	2014-08-30
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

wheals
Space Squid

#49 Post by wheals »

Wow, I come back to check out how FreeOrion is doing after many months of not following it at all, and you guys just the very previous day did something awesome (that will probably make me more willing to contribute, too :) )! Great job everyone!
All my code and content provided herein or on GitHub is released under the GPL 2.0 and/or CC-BY-SA 3.0, as appropriate.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#50 Post by Dilvish »

ok, I added that extra email address to my github acct. It does look though like we *do* have an option to do the import with attribution for anyone whose github acct we know, like Marcel, even if they don't come add this special scn uuid email address to their accounts. At the bottom of the github help on importing from SVN, it points to a utility called svn2git, which does a few things including allowing you to specify an authors file which it will use to assign commits to github accounts.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#51 Post by Vezzra »

Dilvish wrote:ok, I added that extra email address to my github acct.
Perfect. From that I infer you're ok with doing the import again :D Now I just need to get Mat and Bigjoe adding their pseudo-email to their account, and we're ready to go.
It does look though like we *do* have an option to do the import with attribution for anyone whose github acct we know, like Marcel, even if they don't come add this special scn uuid email address to their accounts. At the bottom of the github help on importing from SVN, it points to a utility called svn2git, which does a few things including allowing you to specify an authors file which it will use to assign commits to github accounts.
I've seen that, however, that tool (if I understand correctly), uses git-svn, meaning it will clone the type special repo like the old mirror is. I want to avoid that, and if everyone adds the pseudo-email, that would be the easiest and most straightforward option anyway. Should that fail, we can try svn2git next, but I fairly sure by now that it will work.

adrian_broher
Programmer

#52 Post by adrian_broher »

Hi,

just chime in to add some confusion.

My results so far:

My commits are imported with
as author

See also:
https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/ ... 77d3.patch

When trying to add this email as additional email github complains that the email can't be added because my primary email is not private (well, it user.noreply.github.com IS a alias for anonymizing the primary email after all).

Until now the commits I did were not assigned to my account. After checking and unchecking the "Keep my email address private" checkbox at https://github.com/settings/emails the commits were assigned to me in the commit diff view https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/ ... b39ac377d3 but not in the history https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/ ... er?page=45 . Maybe it's a github specific cache thing.
Vezzra wrote:Even Marcel will miss it if he does not pay a visit right now.
As I already wrote this doesn't seem to completely fix the problem. Is there anything else you need?

My primary github email is:
My github account name is:
adrianbroher
You won't get my id card number and my tax id number fo obvious reasons. ;)
Vezzra wrote:That refers to git-svn repos that have been cloned with the "git svn" command. That isn't the case with our repo here, that's a pure git repo the github importer created by converting oursvn repo. These are different things AFAIK.
I would assume, that github uses git-svn in the backend and has implemented a nice web ui for it. So the mechanisms are probably the same.

If you need some help I will follow this thread.

@ps Who is the github user poelzi?

@pps Is there a reason to keep the FreeOrion directory in root?
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz

Dilvish

#53 Post by Dilvish »

adrian_broher wrote:@ps Who is the github user poelzi?
poelzi is the "Daniel" that github support had once mentioned to you.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#54 Post by Vezzra »

adrian_broher wrote:just chime in to add some confusion.
Gee, thank you so much! :mrgreen:
After checking and unchecking the "Keep my email address private" checkbox at https://github.com/settings/emails the commits were assigned to me in the commit diff view https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/ ... b39ac377d3 but not in the history https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/ ... er?page=45 . Maybe it's a github specific cache thing.
It looks very much like that sort of thing, however, apparently these caches are extremely persistent. We can now spend a lot of time figuring out what's going on, harrassing the github support, or just repeat the import and be done with it. I think that will be way quicker and less painful. ;)
You won't get my id card number and my tax id number fo obvious reasons. ;)
My schemes have been twarted... :(
I would assume, that github uses git-svn in the backend and has implemented a nice web ui for it. So the mechanisms are probably the same.
Maybe, but the results when I try to clone our SVN repo with "git svn clone" are quite different from what the github importer produces. To me it looks like the branches get imported cleaner, what git svn clone produced was a bit of a mess. And using the github importer is less hassle.
If you need some help I will follow this thread.
Thanks, we might need the help. :D Mostly I think we're going to need some help getting started with git, it's quite different than subversion after all.
@ps Who is the github user poelzi?
Remember when you tried to contact the github support about the owner of the freeorion organizational account? This mysterious "Daniel" that maintained the mirror repo? That's him. When we started to more seriously consider switching to git and github, we were finally able to contact him, and he added Geoff, Dilvish and me as owners to the freeorion organizational account, so we could take over.
Good question, our programming lead is probably the one to answer that - Geoff?

Although, lets get this migration thing finished before we start worrying about this. We should solve the problems at hand before creating new ones. ;)

adrian_broher
Programmer

#55 Post by adrian_broher »

Vezzra wrote:
Good question, our programming lead is probably the one to answer that - Geoff?

Although, lets get this migration thing finished before we start worrying about this. We should solve the problems at hand before creating new ones. ;)
Well, the point is that now would be the perfect time to remove it. As you know I used git-svn with svn://svn.code.sf.net/p/freeorion/code/trunk/FreeOrion as repository root. It worked well for me and we could try if the github importer imports this url instead of the svn://svn.code.sf.net/p/freeorion/code/trunk cutting out the FreeOrion directory.
Resident code gremlin

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#56 Post by Vezzra »

adrian_broher wrote:Well, the point is that now would be the perfect time to remove it. As you know I used git-svn with svn://svn.code.sf.net/p/freeorion/code/trunk/FreeOrion as repository root. It worked well for me and we could try if the github importer imports this url instead of the svn://svn.code.sf.net/p/freeorion/code/trunk cutting out the FreeOrion directory.
But wouldn't that result into not getting the entire history of the SVN repo imported? There have been other directories on the same level as this "FreeOrion" folder, that's why things have been set up this way in the first place. These other folders got removed long ago, leaving just the "FreeOrion" folder.

If we now point the github importer to the "FreeOrion" folder instead of the repo root, I'm fairely sure only the history of the tree below "FreeOrion" will get imported. I don't think that's a good idea, as simple a solution for getting rid of the thing that would be.

That said, this decision is Geoffs. Geoff?

adrian_broher
Programmer

#57 Post by adrian_broher »

Vezzra wrote:But wouldn't that result into not getting the entire history of the SVN repo imported? There have been other directories on the same level as this "FreeOrion" folder, that's why things have been set up this way in the first place. These other folders got removed long ago, leaving just the "FreeOrion" folder.
That would probably be the case.
Vezzra wrote:If we now point the github importer to the "FreeOrion" folder instead of the repo root, I'm fairely sure only the history of the tree below "FreeOrion" will get imported. I don't think that's a good idea, as simple a solution for getting rid of the thing that would be.

That said, this decision is Geoffs. Geoff?
I don't have the whole history in mind but a quick look in the SVN repository shows me the directory "DesignerTools", which if ever revived, would probably be better of as a dedicated repository because it is a separate software. I would assume that the root "FreeOrion" directory was created because sourceforge didn't provide any means to add multiple repositories to a project at that time and I assume that other directories beside "FreeOrion" are in fact histories of separate applications sharing the same repository. The other directory I found is CVSROOT, which are some remains from the CVS to SVN migration. So IMO we would loose nothing of value if we strip the FreeOrion directory away now.
Resident code gremlin

Dilvish

#58 Post by Dilvish »

Vezzra wrote:I've seen that, however, that tool (if I understand correctly), uses git-svn, meaning it will clone the type special repo like the old mirror is. I want to avoid that, and if everyone adds the pseudo-email, that would be the easiest and most straightforward option anyway. Should that fail, we can try svn2git next, but I fairly sure by now that it will work.
It uses that tool, but also does further cleanup on branches, adding tags, etc. I think it is worth a closer look at.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#59 Post by Vezzra »

adrian_broher wrote:I don't have the whole history in mind but a quick look in the SVN repository shows me the directory "DesignerTools", which if ever revived, would probably be better of as a dedicated repository because it is a separate software. I would assume that the root "FreeOrion" directory was created because sourceforge didn't provide any means to add multiple repositories to a project at that time and I assume that other directories beside "FreeOrion" are in fact histories of separate applications sharing the same repository. The other directory I found is CVSROOT, which are some remains from the CVS to SVN migration. So IMO we would loose nothing of value if we strip the FreeOrion directory away now.
Yep, you're probably right here. Still, if I point the github importer to the "FreeOrion" folder, the whole trunk/branches/tags structure will not get imported correctly, as "FreeOrion" is below trunk. If we want to get the repo with all branches and tags intact, I don't see any alternative to importing the repo root.

Edit: But, as I said, that's Geoffs call... lets wait what he has to say.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#60 Post by Vezzra »

Dilvish wrote:It uses that tool, but also does further cleanup on branches, adding tags, etc. I think it is worth a closer look at.
Probably what the github importer itself uses "behind the scenes". Still, if the approach with adding the pseudo emails to our accounts works, why trying to employ a more complicated approach? If I don't have to fiddle with that special user config file, I'll definitely prefer that.

And if Marcels and my observations are correct, then the problem isn't so much the association of commits to accounts itself, but some kind of caches on the github web frontend that don't get updated correctly. Having another method of assigning commits to github accounts might not help much in that case.

As I said, should the add-the-pseudo-email-before-import approach fail, we can still fall back on svn2git. It's actually good to know we have yet another option.