Getting ready for 0.4.5

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

Getting ready for 0.4.5

#1 Post by Vezzra »

Based on the replies here I think we are ready to start wrapping things up in preparation for 0.4.5. The purpose of this thread is to keep track of and coordinate all the things we want/need to do prior to the release. Please report all things that need to be finished/polished/adjusted/fixed, things you think that should go in, bugs you encountered that need to be fixed. Here is an inital list I compiled from what I found/came to my mind so far:
  • DONE Some interface inspection code (Cjkjvfnby) - mentioned here
  • DONE Fixing issues with invocation of Python on Linux, making sure Python 2 is invoked (Dilvish) - mentioned here
  • DONE Some more tweaks to the ship design process (Morlic) - mentioned here
  • DONE Some basic tweaks to stealth for balance purposes (Mat) - mentioned here
  • DONE Some very minor balancing tweaks (Mat) - mentioned here
  • DONE Sort the asteroid line out (Mat) - mentioned here
  • DONE The implementation of the happiness/population treshold for colonizing/building ships and the corresponding sitrep messages is currently in an unfinished/not really consistent state, that should be wrapped up (Vezzra) - topic discussed here
  • DONE The calculation of the build time of colony buildings had issues for which Dilvish implemented a fix (basically deriving the build time using the speed of the fastest ship an empire owns), that is better than anything we had before, but IMO still not satisfactory, alternatives have been discussed, but no consenus reached; can we come up with something better for 0.4.5? (Vezzra) - discussed here
  • DONE Issue with new AI ship design (Mat, Morlic, Dilvish) - reported and discussed here
The names in italics refer to the one who either mentioned/reported the issue/item or has been mentioned as the one who works on the item.

The list most likely is far from complete, some items maybe have already been done, so everyone, please review the list, report corrections, additions etc.

Proposed procedure:

Everyone, please give working on the issues/items reported here priority over other things (as far as possible and reasonable of course), so we can wrap up all these issues/items as quickly as possible. Everything that gets reported here is subject to review of course (including the initial list above I compiled), so feel free to object if you think that something should not go on the todo list for 0.4.5.

Please also start giving priority to playtesting. Report any issues/bugs you encounter like you normally would, and in addition to that make also a brief post here in this thread with a link to the bug report.

We will continue working on the various items and issues here as they come in. If something has been finished/fixed, please report here so the item can be marked accordingly. Once we've finished up everything, I'll give it probably another few days of playtesting to see if something else comes up, and if not, will create the release branch and start my (hopefully already well known) countdown threads for the release candidates.

Feedback on this proposed procedure welcome. If there are no major objections, lets start preparing 0.4.5! :D

EDIT1: Marked several items as done (2015-07-08)
EDIT2: Marked another two items as done (2015-07-09)
EDIT3: Marked all remaining items as done (2015-07-13)

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

Re: Getting ready for 0.4.5

#2 Post by Vezzra »

Ok, forgot some important things:

- Before I start the countdown thread for the first release candidate, I will of course create the release branch. OP edited accordingly.

- What is not contained in the list I compiled, but also needs to be taken care of in preparation for 0.4.5 are of course all the open pull requests on github which are tagged for inclusion into the next release ("Next release" milestone). Speaking of which: please, all contributors, if you add a PR now, either set the "Next release" milestone yourself if you can, or put a respective request in the PR comment, if you think the PR should be considered for 0.4.5.

- And last but definitely not least, another thing that demands our attention and is absolutely mandatory for the release: the infamous changlog! :mrgreen:

Chriss
Dyson Forest

#3 Post by Chriss »

Anyone interested in including the jump-based stars clustering method in .4.5?
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#4 Post by MatGB »

Chriss wrote:Anyone interested in including the jump-based stars clustering method in .4.5?
I had meant to ask what had happened to that, because it's Python I can't even review it, I'd like to test it though.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Chriss
Dyson Forest

#5 Post by Chriss »

I was not quite satisfied with the results yet, and there were some questions about implementations details I think... I can probably have another look next week. I'll update the thread...
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#6 Post by Vezzra »

Chriss wrote:Anyone interested in including the jump-based stars clustering method in .4.5?
Yes, very much!! :D
Chriss wrote:I was not quite satisfied with the results yet, and there were some questions about implementations details I think... I can probably have another look next week. I'll update the thread...
Any progress so far...?

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#7 Post by Vezzra »

Another thing I want to post here so we don't forget:

* Update pedia shield descriptions.

Sloth
Content Scripter

#8 Post by Sloth »

Vezzra wrote:Another thing I want to post here so we don't forget:

* Update pedia shield descriptions.
I've created a PR for this based on the comments of Mat.
All released under the GNU GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 licences.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#9 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Have most of the issues in the first-post list been resolved, and are there any other content issues that need to be resolved before making pre-release builds?

Morlic
AI Contributor

#10 Post by Morlic »

Vezzra wrote: [*]Some more tweaks to the ship design process (Morlic) - mentioned here
[*]Issue with new AI ship design (Mat, Morlic, Dilvish) - reported and discussed here[/list]
These are resolved.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#11 Post by MatGB »

Both the damage control and stealth fixes are bigger than I planned and I keep getting sidetracked, I'm going to abandone damage control before Release, but figuring out where all the stealth bonuses planets and species get come from is proving to be more annoying than anything else. All I want to do before release is make sure no planet ever has a stealth stat in a multiple of ten, but every time I get somewhere I find another weird thing.

Sorry, everything else I was doing are, I think, done.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#12 Post by Dilvish »

I don't think I got that python issue quite totally wrapped up, will try to look at it again very soon, but it seems that all the 'real' python3 problems related to the cmake process and the col_bld_gen.py script and are fixed, so I don't know if this last little bit really matters.

I just posted an incomplete PR on ship damage tooltips that I am hoping someone might be inspired to finish off; I think it would be great to have for 0.4.5, but certainly isn't critical.

We are still getting in some more article submissions & I think it would be worthwhile to give just a bit more time for those. Although, I guess since they don't need C++ changes it would probably be fine to continue adding them to a release branch if we go ahead and start that.

As for the AI, CJ's inspection code is now in, & there are no other AI changes pending that I would expect to get in before 0.4.5.

p.s.
If you are too busy to make any more changes to that galaxy creation PR re min systems, please go ahead and merge it as-is for 0.4.5.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#13 Post by MatGB »

Dilvish wrote: We are still getting in some more article submissions & I think it would be worthwhile to give just a bit more time for those. Although, I guess since they don't need C++ changes it would probably be fine to continue adding them to a release branch if we go ahead and start that.
I'm basically leaving stuff for that until I have the brainspace as it can go in right up until the deadline, whereas script/content/code changes need a lot more testing so should have a much earlier cutoff.
Mat Bowles

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#14 Post by Vezzra »

Ok, I've edited the OP and marked several items as done. There are most likely two more, but I want to ask Mat to be sure (see follow-up post below).

There is one big issue left I'm not sure if it can be solved for 0.4.5:
Vezzra wrote:The implementation of the happiness/population treshold for colonizing/building ships and the corresponding sitrep messages is currently in an unfinished/not really consistent state, that should be wrapped up (Vezzra) - topic discussed here
For colony buildings both limits (pop and happiness) are already implemented, colony ships only require the pop limit. I'd like to extend the happiness limit to colony ships too, but I don't know how much work would need to be done to adapt the AI - Dilvish?

Same goes for extending the happiness limit to shipbuilding in general, but that can be put on hold until after 0.4.5.

What should be done in any case is adjusting the sitrep notifications.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#15 Post by Vezzra »

MatGB wrote:Both the damage control and stealth fixes are bigger than I planned and I keep getting sidetracked, I'm going to abandone damage control before Release, but figuring out where all the stealth bonuses planets and species get come from is proving to be more annoying than anything else. All I want to do before release is make sure no planet ever has a stealth stat in a multiple of ten
The damage control revision wasn't part of the list anyway, as adjusting the AI for it will probably be non-trivial. Regarding the item about stealth:
Some basic tweaks to stealth for balance purposes (Mat) - mentioned here
...if I understood you correctly, you still want to do that for 0.4.5, so I shall leave that open, right?
Sorry, everything else I was doing are, I think, done.
That means, these items:
[*]Some very minor balancing tweaks (Mat) - mentioned here
[*]Sort the asteroid line out (Mat) - mentioned here
...can be closed, correct?