0.4.5 release procedure

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

Re: 0.4.5 release procedure

#46 Post by Vezzra »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Maybe:

Code: Select all

>>> import hashlib
>>> m = hashlib.md5()
>>> m.update("freeorion")
>>> hexval = m.hexdigest()
>>> decval = int(hexval, 16)
>>> decval
77260143718384987102530862731060942158L
I've posted a PR that implements this fix.

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#47 Post by AndrewW »

Vezzra wrote:Hm, interesting... on OSX I get the same value as you on Linux... funny...
Considering it's built on a BSD core these days, could see that as more likely to get the same value as Linux then that other system at least.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#48 Post by Vezzra »

AndrewW wrote:Considering it's built on a BSD core these days, could see that as more likely to get the same value as Linux then that other system at least.
Yes, that's what you'd expect, the funny thing is, the maps apparently are the same on Windows and OSX, and different on Linux. But the hash function gives the same result on Linux and OSX, and a different one on Windows.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#49 Post by Vezzra »

Due to no new commits to the release branch (except one which only adjusts the Xcode project to work with Xcode 6), no test builds today.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#50 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Dilvish wrote:...I don't consider this at all to be a 'must fix' issue-- it's not really that important and seems likely to me to be tricky-to-impossible to sort out.
In particular, I would not do things like this in a release branch...

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#51 Post by Vezzra »

Geoff the Medio wrote:In particular, I would not do things like this in a release branch...
Mat has already replied there, and for him it's apparently sufficient to be able to get platform independent identical maps at least with elliptical. If that's the general consensus (and I think that this will be the case), I'm most certainly not going to insist on incorporating that into 0.4.5. I agree, it's too big a change this close to a release.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#52 Post by Dilvish »

Also a reeminder, I'm not sure anyone followed up on the meter prediction label rewording discussed here. I am really tremendously swamped at the moment and so at the moment shouldn't even take on shepherding a simple change like that, but wanted to put a reminder here, it is probably worth getting into 0.4.5 RC1.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#53 Post by Vezzra »

Oh, thanks for the reminder, I'll try to not forget it! :D

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#54 Post by Vezzra »

I've uploaded new pre-release test builds. They contain only two changes: I finally got around to commit the changes to some default settings suggested here (except the one regarding the increased icon size, that still needs to be done, btw, can we agree on the new size, 20/24?), and more important, the partial fix for the "Same seed on different platforms do not give same map" issue.

The latter of course changed the actual seed that gets used (which is now the MD5 hash value of the seed string), consequently we now get different maps. Mat, Sloth, IIRC you wanted to make sure that the default quickstart game is sufficiently beginner friendly, so you'll have to re-check.

Provided we get the last pending changes in (change default icon size and the meter prediction label rewording Dilvish reminded me of), and I get around to update the changelog, I plan to make coming Monday builds RC1.

I'm not aware of any pending issues that need to be addressed for 0.4.5, but I might have missed something. Anyone aware of anything?

Ouaz
Dyson Forest

#55 Post by Ouaz »

Vezzra wrote:except the one regarding the increased icon size, that still needs to be done, btw, can we agree on the new size, 20/24?
I vote for 24px, the size that I use on a 1366x768 screen. It fits well with the sitrep default font size.
I release every updated file under the CC-BY-SA 3.0 license.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#56 Post by Vezzra »

Dilvish wrote:Also a reeminder, I'm not sure anyone followed up on the meter prediction label rewording discussed here. I am really tremendously swamped at the moment and so at the moment shouldn't even take on shepherding a simple change like that, but wanted to put a reminder here, it is probably worth getting into 0.4.5 RC1.
Done, and cherry picked.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#57 Post by Vezzra »

So, I think I've mopped up the last bits. AFAIK, there's nothing left barring RC1 (that I won't be able to get in in time that is ;)). Changelog has been updated - Geoff, can you review/double check my recent updates, if they are ok, or if I've missed something you think should go in?

If anyone is aware of anything I might have overlooked/missed, pls bring it to my attention now. Anything anyone wants to get in, pls do so until Sunday at the latest. Unless anything turns up that requires to postpone RC1 again, coming Monday builds are going to be RC1. :D

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#58 Post by Vezzra »

0.4.5 RC1 is finally out and has been uploaded to sourceforge and github.

I know many of you are probably already a bit (or more than just a bit) worn out, but please concentrate once again on playtesting the release candidates and put other (maybe more interesting ;)) things on the backburner. That's, after all, the reason why we make these release candidates, so we can put them to some final testing :D

@Geoff: As usual it's your call to declare RC1 the final release once you think it got sufficiently tested. I'd suggest to give it at least a week.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#59 Post by Vezzra »

One thing I almost forgot: I think we should now delete the pre-release tags/entries on github - or can anyone think of a reason why we should keep them?

Cjkjvfnby
AI Contributor

#60 Post by Cjkjvfnby »

RC1 build name:

v0.4.5 [build 2015-08-24.5fc20ff] MSVC 2013

I expect to have RC1 in release name, like in file name: FreeOrion_v0.4.5-RC1_2015-08-24.5fc20ff_Test_Win32_Setup.exe.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0