FreeOrion license statement inconsistencies

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

FreeOrion license statement inconsistencies

#1 Post by Vezzra »

I never noticed before, but there is a slight inconsistency between our license statements as stated on the wiki and as stated in the REAMDE.md and the COPYING files regarding the game content script. According to the wiki, these are only licensed under GNU GPL 2.0, according to the README.md and COPYING files content scripts are also licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 license.

Furthermore, the wiki refers to "Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0", whereas README.md and COPYING refer to "Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported".

These inconsistencies should be solved. I propose to replace the respective paragraphs on the wiki page with the corresponding contents of the README.md/COPYING files.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: FreeOrion license statement inconsistencies

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Vezzra wrote:Furthermore, the wiki refers to "Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0", whereas README.md and COPYING refer to "Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported".
There is no difference. The wiki link goes to a page that says Unported in the name. Add it on the wiki if you'd like.

The content scripts are, so far as I'm aware, dual-licensed, GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#3 Post by Vezzra »

Geoff the Medio wrote:There is no difference. The wiki link goes to a page that says Unported in the name. Add it on the wiki if you'd like.
Ah, ok, right. No problem here then.
The content scripts are, so far as I'm aware, dual-licensed, GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.
Well, yes, and the license statements in README.md and COPYING are clear on that. But the statement on the wiki page does not give any indication that content scripts are dual licensed, only GNU GPL 2.0. I think that should be rectified, and why not use the same text everywhere? Sounds like the simplest solution.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#4 Post by Vezzra »

Ok, I've added the "Unported", and also edited the text to make clear that the game content scripts are dual licensed. Are the changes ok?