What's the effect of Happiness:
- The Happiness of planets influences the Approval of the respective species (in both directions).
- Happiness will protect the planet from Espionage actions.
- Low Happiness will reduce Production.
- Very low Happiness will lead to a Rebellion.
What's the effect of Approval:
- Approval influences Happiness on planets with the respective species (in both directions).
- Approval will improve Espionage actions on objects with the respective species (enemy colonies/ships).
I think i found a solution that prevents feedback loops:qsswin wrote:How would we prevent positive feedback loops? I.e., if happiness improves approval and approval is supposed to influence approval, we'd need some mechanic to prevent unlimited growth.
In detail (the numbers):
- Happiness has values between 0 and 100 (capped if target is greater or smaller).
- Approval has values up to 100 (capped if target is greater). No lower bound.
- Starting Approval (both target and current) of the starting species is 100. Other species start with 50 (or whatever).
- Colonies (colonized or captured) start with current Happiness equal to the Approval of the respective species.
Calculation of target Approval (each turn):
Target Approval is the mean current happiness of all your planets with the respective species, weighted by population. A = (H1*P1+H2*P2+...)/(P1+P2+...).
Calculation of target Happiness (each turn):
Target Happiness base is the current Approval of the respective species.
+ 10 for homeworld.
+ 10 for capital.
+ 10 for Gaia.
+ 50 Paradise Planet Focus (produces nothing).
+ X for ech Supply Line connected planet with Happiness Focus (X should depend on population).
+ X due to happiness raising techs/buildings.
+ 10 for Good planet.
- 10 for Poor planet.
- 20 for Hostile planet.
- 2 * starlane distance to homeworld (maximum -20, same for homeworld not part of the empire/ally).
- 2 * starlane distance to capitol (maximum -20, same for no capitol).
- 100 Concentration Camp (but no production penalty or rebellions).
Actions that change current meters:
- Bombing a planet with a species reduces current Approval by 20 (whatever). More for homeworld.
- Bioterror on a planet with a species reduces current Approval by 20 (whatever).
Thresholds for Happiness penalties:
- If Happiness < 10: Production of PP, RP, TP is multiplied with Happiness/10. (riots, strikes)
- If Happiness = 0: Target Troops is set to 0. (Rebellion)
- If Happiness = 0 and Troops = 0: Independence.