Make smaller planets more stable?

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

Ophiuchus
Programmer

Re: Make smaller planets more stable?

#16 Post by Ophiuchus »

If we do not have it: maybe also add stability from environment. Hostile -1, Poor +0, Average +1, Good +2 ?
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#17 Post by Vezzra »

Ophiuchus wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:27 am If we do not have it: maybe also add stability from environment. Hostile -1, Poor +0, Average +1, Good +2 ?
Sounds reasonable.

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#18 Post by wobbly »

Partially done:

https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/pull/4045

I'm not sure whether each environment and planet size should be its own game rule, or to just use a tick box. What do others think?

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#19 Post by wobbly »

Hmm.. apparently the supply modifiers for planet size are not in supply.macros, they are in galactic exploration. Which is part of the ship parts category but is located in the ship hull directory...

I might put the stability modifiers in happiness.macros just to be weird. Anyway just about done, short of pushing, testing, cleaning up, etc. etc.

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#20 Post by wobbly »

Another minor note, testing suggests that this line of scripting:

Code: Select all

activation = ((GameRule name = "RULE_BASELINE_PLANET_STABILITY") != 0)

is actually (GameRule name = "RULE_BASELINE_PLANET_STABILITY") > -/+ 0.9

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#21 Post by Ophiuchus »

wobbly wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:59 pm Another minor note, testing suggests that this line of scripting:

instead the game rules (if you use those) for stability should be integer, not floating point

edit1: also note, consider increasing base stability default on the starting planet by 1 (imperial palace from +3 to +4) - most species have a large starting planet
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#22 Post by wobbly »

Ophiuchus wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:30 am
wobbly wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:59 pm Another minor note, testing suggests that this line of scripting:

instead the game rules (if you use those) for stability should be integer, not floating point
I'll change them to integer, I don't think there's a need for 1.3 or 1.7 etc.
Ophiuchus wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:30 am edit1: also note, consider increasing base stability default on the starting planet by 1 (imperial palace from +3 to +4) - most species have a large starting planet
It's also a good environment(+2), Capital is +10, Homeworld is +5 and Capital Species is +5

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#23 Post by wobbly »

Ophiuchus wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:30 am

Do the game rules have a signed integer type? There was none on the current rules.

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#24 Post by wobbly »

Should the phototrophics have a modifier for star type?

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#25 Post by LienRag »

Fluff-wise, yes, but balance-wise, no.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#26 Post by Oberlus »

I think a +1 or +2 stability in white and blue stars is not unbalancing.
And a -2 or -4 in dim stars won't be a problem either because they will get few planets of those or will do later when have more stability boosts.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#27 Post by LienRag »

It's not unbalanced in the meaning that it would make anything overpowered or underpowered, but it is a balance problem because it makes the already good planets better and the already bad worse (so aggravating the impact of Galaxy age, and making colony choices even more unidimensional).

What is particularly interesting in making small planets more stable is that it allows for more diverse gameplay, since the player can choose immediate gain (stability) or longer-term gain (bigger planets).

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#28 Post by Oberlus »

I don't think that is a problem here: You will pick first the bigger planets with or without this small stability modifier.
What is particularly interesting in making small planets more stable is that it allows for more diverse gameplay, since the player can choose immediate gain (stability) or longer-term gain (bigger planets).
I still pick planets based on maximum population subject to supply needs and minimum stability. A -2 stability in a huge planet vs +2 stability in a tiny (5 times smaller) planet, what do you pick? The huge planet, unless you need the supply.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#29 Post by LienRag »

Well it depends, if you need to reach 10 stability to get a GGG bonus, the tiny planet can be very useful early game...

I mean, creating these alternatives was the goal of the modification.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#30 Post by Geoff the Medio »

wobbly wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:38 pm
Ophiuchus wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:30 am instead the game rules (if you use those) for stability should be integer, not floating point
I'll change them to integer, I don't think there's a need for 1.3 or 1.7 etc.
This change appears to have broken the rule: https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/ ... 1263932102