Gaps in Native Species

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

labgnome
Juggernaut

Re: Gaps in Native Species

#16 Post by labgnome »

wobbly wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:53 pm Back when Scyllor were natives they were quite unbalancing for races like Egassam which have the production to spam colonies & the offensive troops to take them quickly. Didn't help that they were at opposite ends of the planet spectrum. I'd suggest if good researching colonizers are being added in that they at least have narrow planet tolerance to stop them being spammed by production races.
Currently the only new good/great research species being proposed are all planetbound.
All of my contributions should be considered released under creative commons attribution share-alike license, CC-BY-SA 3.0 for use in, by and with the Free Orion project.

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#17 Post by wobbly »

labgnome wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:06 pm
wobbly wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:53 pm Back when Scyllor were natives they were quite unbalancing for races like Egassam which have the production to spam colonies & the offensive troops to take them quickly. Didn't help that they were at opposite ends of the planet spectrum. I'd suggest if good researching colonizers are being added in that they at least have narrow planet tolerance to stop them being spammed by production races.
Currently the only new good/great research species being proposed are all planetbound.
It was proposed by drkosy.
drkosy wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:31 am I miss a species that have good / great research that can colonize planets.

labgnome
Juggernaut

#18 Post by labgnome »

wobbly wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:23 pm
labgnome wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:06 pm
It was proposed by drkosy.
drkosy wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:31 am I miss a species that have good / great research that can colonize planets.
Somehow I missed that post on my look-through. Sorry drkosy.

Some diversity in the available colonizing good/great research species would be good, and you are right that they should be balanced-out.
All of my contributions should be considered released under creative commons attribution share-alike license, CC-BY-SA 3.0 for use in, by and with the Free Orion project.

labgnome
Juggernaut

#19 Post by labgnome »

drkosy wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:31 am I miss a species that have good / great research that can colonize planets. At the moment I just can remember "Happybirthday" and "Cray" for that, which are both robotic. With some luck you maybe catch "Kilandow" out of ancient ruins. On the other hand for production you have "Ugmors", "Kobuntura" and "Tae Ghirus" with very different metabolism.
As I like to play with natives set to medium, for me its always a good idea to start with some non productive species because you meet good producers fast enough. That is why I would like to see more research related natives.
Sorry again about missing your post.

I do agree that there should be diversity here. If you want to take the lead on proposing what kinds of traits/metabolisms you think they should have, please feel free. I want this to be a collaborative effort.

drkosy
Space Dragon

#20 Post by drkosy »

Somehow I missed that post on my look-through. Sorry drkosy.
Not a problem, :D it was just a small post :wink:

I played some games for now and the best way to enhanced game speed seems to choose an research affine race (like scylor or gysache) because with navies on you find some good producers soon. I once played replicon and it was much harder than gysache, because the fast proceed on research compensate for lack of production soon. That's why I think it would make production related species more attractive.
and you are right that they should be balanced-out.
That is definitly true. They should have some real nerv, something like no ships...
Want some fresh experience? Try Kosymod

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#21 Post by Oberlus »

drkosy wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:06 pm They should have some real nerv, something like no ships...
No ships is never a problem on species you want to spam on your empire since you only need a single planet populated with a nice pilots species to produce ships.
The malus must be something that affects all its planets and is not about another focus, like xenophobic, bad population and/or narrow tolerance.

labgnome
Juggernaut

#22 Post by labgnome »

Oberlus wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:50 pm
drkosy wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:06 pm They should have some real nerv, something like no ships...
No ships is never a problem on species you want to spam on your empire since you only need a single planet populated with a nice pilots species to produce ships.
The malus must be something that affects all its planets and is not about another focus, like xenophobic, bad population and/or narrow tolerance.
True, I'd say go with combinations of good/great research combined with bad population and/or narrow tolerance as your framework, maybe some with ships and some without for variety. Xenophobic is difficult to balance, so I'd be hesitant to include it.

drkosy
Space Dragon

#23 Post by drkosy »

How about phototropic metabolism and narrow tolerance? There shouldn't be so many bright stars with good planets. No ships mean they can't be a source of outpost / settler ships, which isn't a critical thing, but a nerv nevertheless.
I don't like bad pop because that would be to close to happybirthday but with pototropic there will be an pop cap on most systems.

What do you think about that?
Want some fresh experience? Try Kosymod

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#24 Post by LienRag »

I found descriptions of species elsewhere, and they were really great !
So as ideas can't be copyrighted, I write them here, if someone want to develop them further :

- Intelligent tree-species that communicates through fungi in the soil.
- Water-planet Cephalopods who, never having had access to fire, developed their science on incredibly complex water-pressure tools (can be retconned to the Scyliors of course, would be great if they had some specific building/ship/weapon because of that).
- Intelligent megafauna who fed like venus flytraps on herds of equally intelligent quadrupeds (a great fluff to make all intelligent quadrupeds dislike them !).