Stringtable / Translation Issues

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderators: Oberlus, Oberlus

Yoghurt
Programmer

#46 Post by Yoghurt » Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:19 pm

Regarding the player interaction: I've always imagined that players would have 2 ways of communication:
1. Via chat; the most flexible way of diplomacy, you can make special plans or extra conditions for alliances, which would be officially announced using
2. A kind of diplomacy screen like that in MOO2, you can trade, make alliances, etc. This method will be the only possible one for dealing with AI and with players you don't share a common language with.

Therefore, I see no reason why we should take special care for inter-player interaction; we need to code the diplomacy interface in any case, since you couldn't interact with the AI otherwise.

So, IMHO, we should focus on what interaction we want to allow in the Diplomacy Screen (more complex ones can always be made via chat), instead of thinking of a way for players to click together messages that get translated in a different language.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#47 Post by Geoff the Medio » Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:32 pm

Yoghurt wrote:
Geoff the Medio wrote:I'm having a hard time finding a simple and clear summary of how and what gettext does, but it looks like it just provides a way to replace marked strings in the sourcecode with new translated strings.
Well, gettext is like the default l10n system for Linux; for example, if you set your locale to de_DE, all the systemtools that support it as well as all other gettext programs will be in german. It has some features that our current system does not provide, and editors exist to easily create translations. It is also more programmer-friedly, as you can write

Code: Select all

printf(_("Game over")
and let gettext create a translation file template for you from that, instead of our system

Code: Select all

printf(translate(GAME_OVER_STRING))
. I always preferred gettext over our system, but right now we have different things to cope with.
I'm not really concerned with minor coding details such as this... and even if I was, this doesn't address the real / major translation problem we have, which is that you can't just look at a string in isolation and be able to translate it fully and accurately. Strings need to change depending on the context in which they are used... and the way this happens ins't consistent between languages, so needs to be embedded into the strings themselves. Can gettext do that? (AFAIK, no)
Yoghurt wrote:So, IMHO, we should focus on what interaction we want to allow in the Diplomacy Screen (more complex ones can always be made via chat), instead of thinking of a way for players to click together messages that get translated in a different language.
I never meant to suggest that we make a system to automatically translate messages between players... such a system is a whole other project that would be far more complicated than FO in its entirely. What I'm concerned about is all the in-game predefined strings... for things like SitReps, technology descriptions, effect summaries... including the AI diplomacy text, which is probably the most complicated prewritten text we'll have to deal with.

Yoghurt
Programmer

#48 Post by Yoghurt » Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:54 am

Geoff the Medio wrote:Can gettext do that? (AFAIK, no)
The gettext-tools allow you to look at the context of the string to be translated, so, in a sense, it can. But as already stated, this is something for 0.9 or at least post 0.3
What I'm concerned about is all the in-game predefined strings... for things like SitReps, technology descriptions, effect summaries
IMHO, gettext will be able to do quite a good job here; I will take a close look next week.

muxec
Space Kraken

#49 Post by muxec » Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:48 pm

In Russian you have 6 singular noun forms for one English noun. If I'll translate that to Russian I'll be forced to neglect some grammar...

gramilon
Space Krill

#50 Post by gramilon » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:53 am

могу помочь с переводом на русский язык