Create-a-race for the game.

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderators: Oberlus, Oberlus

Would you consider "Create-A-Race" is a great feature?

Yes.. it would make the game twice as fun!
44%
Yes... though its not the center of the game.
38%
No.. i really dont care.
6%
NO!... i hate you! you should be shot!!
13%

Total votes: 16

Sinister
Krill Swarm

Create-a-race for the game.

#1 Post by Sinister » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:14 pm

I know that this is a complicated feauture to add, and im not sure if someone suggested it before, or if its already a part of the game.

but it would be nice to let the players create races... yes i said races, not just a personalized race with which to play with but a feature that allows you to create a few new races so you can compete against your creations.

and give you full creative control of "portrait" species look, ship style "ship look" and their special abilities.

it would be a great feature.
(------ I am the Alpha and Omega --------)

noelte
Juggernaut

#2 Post by noelte » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:40 pm

second post and already a poll :wink:
Press any key to continue or any other key to cancel.
Can COWs fly?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Create-a-race for the game.

#3 Post by Geoff the Medio » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:57 pm

Sinister,

See the Roadmap: http://freeorion.org/index.php/Roadmap#0.8

"Races & Race picks" will be designed and implemented for v0.8, which is still a ways off. The basic idea is planned for inclusion, though, unless I misunderstand "Race picks".

Feel free to suggest ideas for how race creation could work in brainstorming (eg. this thread), whenever you think of them, however.

Ablaze
Creative Contributor

#4 Post by Ablaze » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:03 am

If the game uses 3d models anywhere it would be very hard to allow a user to plug in their own 3d models. If everything is sprite based it may be possable, but I'm not sure it would be good to eleminate the possability of using 3D models for ships.
Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#5 Post by pd » Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:10 am

Ablaze wrote:If the game uses 3d models anywhere it would be very hard to allow a user to plug in their own 3d models.
really? why do you think so?

Daveybaby
Small Juggernaut

#6 Post by Daveybaby » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:16 pm

To be honest, these days, 3-d models would make it MUCH easier for players to add custom races. Just need to define a set of animations for each political stance. This is pretty much what people have been doing with quake (etc) player models for the last 10 years.
The COW Project : You have a spy in your midst.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#7 Post by pd » Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:30 pm

exactly, and for ships it will be even easier.

Ablaze
Creative Contributor

#8 Post by Ablaze » Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:21 pm

Fine, I challenge you to go to some random (non-programmer) game-player and ask them to define a simple 3D model of an apple.

Regardless of how many mouse clicks it takes, it takes an intelligent person several hours to learn the basic concepts necessary to define things in 3D. I don't think the average user could manage it without giving up unless someone wrote an extremely good walkthrough.

noelte
Juggernaut

#9 Post by noelte » Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:25 pm

you may have a point, but most modders are quit capable. But you are right, 2d is much easier...

later, we (our artists :wink: ) might use some tool to create 3D models. if so they can provide a tutorial to the modders ....
Press any key to continue or any other key to cancel.
Can COWs fly?

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#10 Post by pd » Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:28 pm

well, of course it needs some knowledge to modify things like this. but it's the same with changing or adding code. it's the nature of such a complex game. we are not making pong here.

Ablaze
Creative Contributor

#11 Post by Ablaze » Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:15 pm

Not making pong? NOT MAKING PONG???? This is news to me. I purpose a poll:

Should we include pong in the game?

1) Yes.. it would make the game twice as fun!
2) Yes... though its not the center of the game.
3) No.. i really dont care.
4) NO!... i hate you! you should be shot!!

I anticipate a sharp rise in the number of "4" votes.

Velizar
Space Floater

#12 Post by Velizar » Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:02 pm

1)

Hurray for pong!

Pong Forever!!

Err...yes.
Sometimes, a man's heart is that of a wolf, and the path of enlightenment his alone to walk upon.

Sinister
Krill Swarm

#13 Post by Sinister » Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:56 pm

yeah...yeah... well i guess your right. But then again anyone who is smart enough should get the chance to use the damn feature..

maybe instead of making it a feature, the game should just support the ability to increase races, and users could just patch the game with new mods..

but anyhow... im not a programer. Just thinking out loud.
(------ I am the Alpha and Omega --------)

Daveybaby
Small Juggernaut

#14 Post by Daveybaby » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:59 pm

Ablaze wrote:Fine, I challenge you to go to some random (non-programmer) game-player and ask them to define a simple 3D model of an apple.
3-d modelling doesnt required programmers, it requires artists skilled in the use of the necessary tools. Thats exactly the same requirements as for 2-d (whether static or animated).

However, i agree that its much easier for somebody to download a jpeg of a klingon off the net, and crop/resize it, than it is to produce original art in any form (3d, 2d, or 2d animation). Bearing that in mind, it shouldnt be too difficult to implement a flexible system which would display either 3d animated models, 2d video, or 2d static images, based on what the modder has to hand (assuming the capability to render them already exists).
The COW Project : You have a spy in your midst.

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#15 Post by Impaler » Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:46 pm

I like Sinisters basic idea which seems to be "let me design races OTHER then the one I am playing AS". I dont see any reason why we cant esentialy alow the player to design/create and essentialy unlimited number of races and alocate what ever art assets to these race as the player can find/copy for them. When its game set-up time the player simply needs to select what races they desire (perhaps little Race Portraits getting draged and droped into a Galaxy Shaped area would be nice).
Fear is the Mind Killer - Frank Herbert -Dune