Implement life after death

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

afwbkbc
Pupating Mass

Implement life after death

#1 Post by afwbkbc »

Now there is only one 'real world', which contains galaxy and all stuff in it.
I propose a 'Shadow world' (or maybe Spirit world or Afterworld) be also created.
Initially, Shadow world is completely separated from real world, is invisible and no interaction occurs. All players and currently implemented species start in real world.
Shadow world will share galaxy structure (stars, planets, lanes) with real world, but not anything on planets (so initially all planets will be empty in Shadow world)
Every ship that is destroyed will now be moved to Shadow world. It will keep allegiance to empire controlling it previously, but will be inaccessible and invisible to it yet. It will just stay at same place in Shadow world for now.
Any population decrease will lead to corresponding number of Ghosts created in Shadow world on same planet. So, if player built concentration camps and they destroyed 5.0 Scylior - 5.0 of Ghosts are added in Shadow world on same planet. If player then populated populated this planet with 3.0 Mu Ursh but them wiped them out with concentration camps too - this planet in Shadow world will now have 8.0 of Ghosts.
Ghosts will keep allegiance to whatever empire owned species that were destroyed first on this planet (so successive population decreases will add more ghosts but will not change empire 'owning' them. As with ships, ghost planets are invisible and uncontrollable until specific techs are discovered.
p.s population died out due to uninhabitable planet will also become ghosts.
Species : Ghosts
Ghost metabolism
Population does not increase or decrease on its own
Planet type is ignored, including asteroids and gas giants
Population is increased when population is decreased on same planet in Real world
Population is decreased by some bombardment weapons or evacuation
Average Industry and Research
200% defensive troops
200% offensive troops
Average pilots
Can only build ship designs that are already present in Shadow world (that were destroyed in real world), and ships with Ghost Hulls. Do not require basic shipyard or any other building.
Can't construct buildings
+3 Supply
+50 detection range
+60 planetary stealth, +60 ship stealth
Can occur as Natives in Shadow world, regardless of planet type

Separate tech tree (moderately late) to be created for Shadow world interactions (every next depends in previous):
1) Dark scanner - allows to see Shadow world in areas visible in real world. Can be implenented as real/shadow world switch somewhere in UI
2) Dark emitter - allows to control owned ships and planets in Shadow world
3) Shadow gate - allows ships to move between real and shadow world. Can be done like this: select fleet in real world, switch view to shadow world, issue 'move' order to same or other node in shadow world.
4) Ghost harvest - ghosts reduce living species population on same planet in real world by 2, 4, 7, 12 or 18 (depending on planet size). Owned and friendly species are also affected. Died species are converted to ghosts.
5) Ghost mastery - ghosts can colonize other planets in Shadow world. Ghost Hull is available.
6) Unholy merge - expensive tech, merges both worlds into one. When same planet has both living and ghost population - it will become ghost planet, with all living species converted to ghosts. Planet's allegiance will remain to empire that was controlling it in Shadow world. After Unholy Merge ghosts can colonize any planet.

TBC

o01eg
Programmer

Re: Implement life after death

#2 Post by o01eg »

There is no need in mysterious stuff in the sci-fi game.
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

afwbkbc
Pupating Mass

#3 Post by afwbkbc »

o01eg wrote:There is no need in mysterious stuff in the sci-fi game.
How do you determine amount of mysteriousness?
How about Transcendence Victory?

biza
Space Squid

#4 Post by biza »

hi,
I think he meant that in sci fi world "ghost" would not be called "ghost" but :
"some form of intelligent energy cluster from another dimension" or similar :)

(I'm not so good in this type of english...but i hope you got what i meant)

Everything should be explained scientific, therefore no mystic!

Cheers!!

afwbkbc
Pupating Mass

#5 Post by afwbkbc »

biza wrote:hi,
I think he meant that in sci fi world "ghost" would not be called "ghost" but :
"some form of intelligent energy cluster from another dimension" or similar :)

(I'm not so good in this type of english...but i hope you got what i meant)

Everything should be explained scientific, therefore no mystic!

Cheers!!
Yes, exactly. I used terms like "Ghost" or "Life after death" only because I was too lazy to invent sci-fi terminology at that time.
And we can't actually claim that 'life after death' is not scientific - a phenomen of consciousness definetely exists but can't be explained by science. And 'life after death' is basically next period of existence of consciousness, so science can't touch it either. But, same as consciousness itself, it exists.

em3
Vacuum Dragon

#6 Post by em3 »

There are some corner cases here, like destroyed planets - do they disappear in shadow world too, or just in real world?

I would propose instead of adding it as a literal afterlife copy of basic world, add alternative "phases" or "planes" that would be accessible in manner similar to underground in Heroes of Might and Magic. This other plane would have a different (albeit similar) topology with certain intersections with basic world (initially inaccessible without a technology). Maybe even experimenters could hide their outpost there as well?

This place could also contain unique strategic resources required to build exotic hulls or modules.
https://github.com/mmoderau
[...] for Man has earned his right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone totally batshit insane. - Randall Munroe, title text to xkcd #556