The goal is to have some prototype which is playable, shows the mechanisms for and is like an addon - easy to add to the current state of your freeorion.
(I think we dont have enough addon/plugin structure ready, so probably I have to rely on the player merging the code. But it will be scripting only, so compilation is not required.)
The scripting-only implementation branch is https://github.com/agrrr3/freeorion/tre ... government
Im looking for feedback: Players feedback, ideas and comments.
To try: copy the attached current default folders (zip contains default/ with subfolders scripting/ and stringtables/) over to your freeorion folder. Or use the git, Luke.
State of implementation (Overview):
- One can build governments. Species become unhappy if not represented in government.
- Defense and foreign policies have game effects.
- AI doesnt become unhappy and doesnt use the governments at all.
- One can build the "Imperial Warlord Constitution" on your capital for choosing warlord government type
- * One can build the "The Warlords Camp" for warlord government seat
- ** the DEFENSE function will give malus/bonus on the troops (depending on the seat's species defense troops level)
- * One can build the "The Negotiators Mansion" for negotiators seat
- ** the FOREIGN function will give scanning facilities a malus/bonus on detection range (depending on the seat's species detection level)
- All governments - anarchy, autocrat, democracy, warlord and the council of the wise there.
- More flexible governments are more expensive (democracy is five times as expensive to build than the autocrat).
- If the government type/constitution building is scrapped/not there, the function building effects are not activated. Also the function buildings autodestruct (this may change)
- for human player for anarchy -5 happyness; -13 happyness if having a kind of constitutional government
- happyness bonus for metabolism representatives +2 per function. bonus +1/function for species representatives
- the code is nicely decomposed into macros, so additions are easy
In FreeOrion species are important and differentiate the (start/mid-game) experience. We treat species like a single person/entity. If our empire has a government, it would consist of representatives from the different species.
To add more flavor I want to add government slots/positions. For each slot, the player can decide .There are different types of governments one can choose (and switch between). Depending on the government type there are different slots open.
I also think that boni/mali granted should apply to government functions (e.g. military, interior ministry, ministry of education). So a government position encompasses one or multiple functions (e.g. in absolutism there is only one slot encompassing all government functions).
The effects could be multiple, but I think having other species but Trith in the government would scare the shit out of Trith/make them very unhappy.
With FOCS I think its possible to do this. With real coding a much nicer UI would be possible. The policy cards idea could probably also be used to implement such a thing.
implementation on the capital:
One implementation which provides an almost nice interface would use specials on the capital for slots (if your government is warlord you would have one special for the slot for the warlord and one special for slot of the negotiator) and depending on the specials one could build buildings for choosing species (so if no such building exists, for the warlord slot one could build the egassem warlord or the trith warlord or the ...). Problem is that you need to provide a lot of buildings (number of existing roles times number of existing species) so I wouldnt do this.
implementation on species planets:
Instead of having multiple buildings for the different species, one can build the unique building (e.g. the warlord residence) on the planet with the correct species (so if the warlord residence is on an egassem planet, one would have the egassem effects of the warlord).
- Government type - defines which Government Slots are in effect. E.g. Anarchy...
- Government type building - A building at the capital which defines which Government type is in effect.
- Government Slot / Position / Role - A collection of government functions like the Warlord
- Ministry/Government function/Policy - A facet of government like defense, or education.
- Government Seat - a building which determines which planet's species will take a certain government position (e.g. The Warlords Camp)
- D - ministry of defense (control of outposts: species mali/boni for detection, stealth, defensive troops)
- E - ministry of education (ease of research for certain topics e.g. the telepathy boon)
- F - foreign ministry (foreign intelligence, interaction with foreign empires and natives)
- I - Interior ministry (police, secret service)
- P - propaganda ministry (happiness)
For the moment I plan the following government types:
- Anarchy - no government slots
- Absolutism - a single government slot: overlord[DEFIP]
- Warlord - two slots: warlord[DEIP] negotiator [F]
- Council of the wise - three slots: the teacher [EP] the explorer [F] the preserver [DI]
- Democracy - five slots (one for each ministry)
- Maybe group the labels/effects for happyness boni/mali.
- Messages/labels for happyness bonus and autocracy/autocrat are missing.
- Almost all function effects have to be designed.
- Polishing (graphics for government types and government seats, help greatly appreciated)
- Polishing (encyclopedia entries for government functions/effects, help greatly appreciated)
- Probably some upkeep cost for government seats (so democracy is more expensive to keep than others)? Or balance types so that there arealways tradeoffs between the types.