Nest eradication

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.
LGM-Doyle
Programmer

Re: Nest eradication

#31 Post by LGM-Doyle » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:57 pm

We should recognize that Tualha has already done the work, and submitted a PR implementing 1. While 3. or 2. may be preferable, unless someone raises an objection that we agree is valid, then we should honor the work and use 1., until someone is motivated enough to implement 3. or 2. This is intended as a stop-gap, not a final solution.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#32 Post by Vezzra » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:19 pm

LGM-Doyle wrote:unless someone raises an objection that we agree is valid
Well, my major gripe with that approach is that the tech+building has practically only a micromanagement purpose. Meaning, a player would invest RP and PP just to avoid the (minor) annoyance of having to scrap unwanted domesticated monsters they get every few turns. While still tolerable as a stop-gap solution, if another, equally simple stop-gap solution offers a better approach I'd be inclined to go with the latter.

But I'm not adamant about this. If others share your sentiment (to just adopt the PR that has already been put up to honor the work that went into it), I can live with that. ;)

Oberlus
Vacuum Dragon

#33 Post by Oberlus » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:13 pm

I would say 3 is the way to go, but that it won't harm to have in use Tualha's patch until 3 is implemented, and then remove Tualha's.

Tualha
Space Floater

#34 Post by Tualha » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:21 pm

Nice of people to speak up in favor of my developed patch, but I’m not married to it. I was just throwing it out there. I like Vezzra’s idea of decoupling organic hulls from monster ranching, perhaps in combination with my idea of a common ancestor theoretical tech dealing with all space life. That all seems fairly simple to accomplish.

We could keep the nest eradicator (at reduced cost) as part of the monster line: first, as another type of terraforming that lets you get rid of unwanted nests while keeping others, e.g. Oberlus liking krakens but not snowflakes; second, to remind people that there is a monster line and encourage development of same. And we have plenty of ideas for development in this thread alone.

labgnome
Space Dragon

#35 Post by labgnome » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:31 am

Space Monster ranching does need love.
All of my contributions should be considered released under creative commons attribution share-alike license, CC-BY-SA 3.0 for use in, by and with the Free Orion project.