[UI] Prod Queue Ship Species

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

AndrewW
Juggernaut

Re: [UI] Prod Queue Ship Species

#16 Post by AndrewW »

Vezzra wrote:Well, in that case I strongly recommend opening a feature request issue. After all, suggestions here on the forum tend to get buried and forgotten if they aren't picked up somewhat quickly by someone who decides to implement it. With an open feature request, chances are a bit better that eventually someone will start working on it. :D
Like the one I suggested awhile back? (Have a speed trait for races)

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#17 Post by Vezzra »

AndrewW wrote:Like the one I suggested awhile back? (Have a speed trait for races)
Yes, although in cases like this, where the requested feature involves a design discussion, the feature request should include a link to a corresponding tread on the forum for the design discussion, otherwise that design discussion is very likely to start in the comment section of the feature request, which is something we try to avoid. ;)

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#18 Post by MatGB »

AndrewW wrote:
Vezzra wrote:Well, in that case I strongly recommend opening a feature request issue. After all, suggestions here on the forum tend to get buried and forgotten if they aren't picked up somewhat quickly by someone who decides to implement it. With an open feature request, chances are a bit better that eventually someone will start working on it. :D
Like the one I suggested awhile back? (Have a speed trait for races)
Possibly: that would be a balance/scripting/design discussion first but if we've given it at least a favourable welcome an issue to keep it current so someone can reopen the thread if they want to work on it works well.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

alleryn
Space Dragon

#19 Post by alleryn »

Well, there hasn't been any consensus on this issue, but i still think it's a needed (or at least highly desirable) feature at some point for quality of life. Is this a reasonable time to raise it as an issue (feature request) on github or would that be inappropriate?

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#20 Post by Vezzra »

alleryn wrote:Is this a reasonable time to raise it as an issue (feature request) on github or would that be inappropriate?
As this is a quite specific feature request for an UI element, I think it's ok to open an issue for that on github. Put a link to this thread in the issue description, and you should be fine.

alleryn
Space Dragon

#21 Post by alleryn »

Github issue at https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/issues/1919 (also edited into first post in this thread)

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#22 Post by Dilvish »

Just wanted to mention, one related feature that I have been thinking about for some time is a "superseded" designation and scriptable clause for buildable items; this would cause a superseded item to be displayed in yellow italics on the BuildSelectorWnd (or optionally let it be hidden altogether), and if it was already on the build queue its production panel would be printed with the yellow italics.

One scriptable clause example could be for buildings where you could want a backup, so we wouldn't actually want to make it fully unavailable (like we currently wouldn't let you build two solar generators on the same planet, but building two in the same system, or even a second one that is supply-connected to an already built or in-progress one of equal or better value, would be flagged by the yellow italics.

To deal with warships, direct fire weapons could have a scripted superseded clause about being built at a location in a system where there is another same-empire-owned planet/shipyard with a better pilot species (perhaps only if the current ship design can also be built at that planet).

As an expansion on that, I think I'd like some way for the ship design window to allow you to specify that one design supersedes another (in a transitive way) (and of course have those designations be saved just like the order of appearance).

If any of the other devs are interested in coding up any of that, please be my guest, I have no idea when I might get to it.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0