Big images of species

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

Bestary
Space Squid

Re: Big images of species

#61 Post by Bestary »

Ophiuchus wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:08 am Love the Sly :)
Can you make them a bit translucent and shiny?
Ok, it will be good! ^^
Oberlus wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:48 pm
Bestary wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:41 amHmm... Good association, at the first look. But... No, not good. We don't know is there birds exist at the Derthrean homeworld, and bird claws will looks too predatory, not peaceful. :)
:lol: Good catch.
Well, in my defense I must say I was thinking of pigeons, not hawks, and alienesque, not earthling birds :P
Nice try!! :D Also, origami cranes is a symbol of peace in Japan (I didn't know it (or not remembered), just found moment ago searching wikipedia).
P.S. Please, call me by @ nickname or contact by e-mail if you want say something directly to me. ^^

Bestary
Space Squid

#62 Post by Bestary »

Chato'matou. Cool specie, cool story. ^^ Gormoshk really have that eyes and mounth (it's from original description).

I don't know, was it discuss or not, but... Gormoshk sounds amusing for russian ear. Cause we have garmoshka. :D I was interested why creator used that name... Was it just random or mean something...
Attachments
chato.png
chato.png (220.51 KiB) Viewed 6238 times
P.S. Please, call me by @ nickname or contact by e-mail if you want say something directly to me. ^^

The Silent One
Graphics

#63 Post by The Silent One »

Bestary wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:47 amI was interested why creator used that name... Was it just random or mean something...
I don't know/remember... great new images, though!
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#64 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Ouaz wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:09 pm- Insert the "preview" image right at the beginning of the article.
That's easy enough with stringtable changes.
- Insert the full image at the end of the article.
That requires some C++ changes, to move the detailed description after (almost) everything else, and then adding the full image to the detailed description stringtable entry.
- Put the "Homeworld" data right after the "Environment preferences" (currently, at the very end of the article, don't know why...)
Also requires some C++ changes. It wasn't actually at the end of the article unless there were no empire or other species opinions of the species.
- 500x500px is way to big, at least until we have a better layout engine for images in FO.
[...]
- Image size: 350x115 px (3:1 ratio).
There's no need to reduce the size of art for use in the pedia, as it will auto-rescale images that are too wide to fit. I think it's actually better to keep the full width / size images, so that if someone has the pedia window bigger, they can see more detail in the art, rather than a small box centred in the text area with lots of empty black space around it.

I've made a demo pull request with just Chato full size art and cropped banner images: https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/pull/2378

Bestary
Space Squid

#65 Post by Bestary »

Tae Ghirus sketch, nice kindly birds... In original story their planet has so rich biodiversity.

There was a problem with tails - Tae Ghirus must have no feathers, but in the icon image tail was divided into three "feathers". I found a way to resolve it (according to their atrophied ability to glide).

P.S. I loved "The land before time" at my childhood. :D
Attachments
tae_ghirus.png
tae_ghirus.png (292.33 KiB) Viewed 6179 times

adrian_broher
Programmer

#66 Post by adrian_broher »

@Bestary:

Do you still have the source assets? How are they structured in terms of layers?
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz

Bestary
Space Squid

#67 Post by Bestary »

adrian_broher wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:06 pm @Bestary:

Do you still have the source assets? How are they structured in terms of layers?
Sorry for a waiting. ^^'

I trying to structure them (separating characters from the bg, detales etc.), but I'm dizzy sometime, sometimes structuring fails. You may watch PSD-sources of finished drawings in FreeOrion-assets git (/art/species_art/), I uploaded every source. Some of them (last) placed in this pull request.

labgnome
Juggernaut

#68 Post by labgnome »

Bestary wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:59 am And lonely robots...
I must say, as their creator, that I love them. Though feel free to add colors and variety to them. They are very inspired by the DSV Alvin and the Curiosity Rover FYI.
All of my contributions should be considered released under creative commons attribution share-alike license, CC-BY-SA 3.0 for use in, by and with the Free Orion project.

Bestary
Space Squid

#69 Post by Bestary »

labgnome wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:27 pm
Bestary wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:59 am And lonely robots...
I must say, as their creator, that I love them. Though feel free to add colors and variety to them. They are very inspired by the DSV Alvin and the Curiosity Rover FYI.
@labgnome, I already read your story ^_^ Learned about Curiosity's singing... I didn't know earlier, despite my interest to Mars researching.
I have a strong empathy to Happybirthdays,

It's was not planned, but I came here today to put this, I finished them. :) They was mostly finished for a long time, but I had troubles with background. It's looks very mist in the dark.

P.S. Sorry everybody for my dissapearing, I was need to recharge myself by drawing something else, it's hard for me, to draw just one theme for a long time. ^^'
Attachments
happybirthday.png
happybirthday.png (169.69 KiB) Viewed 5964 times

labgnome
Juggernaut

#70 Post by labgnome »

Bestary wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:49 pm @labgnome, I already read your story ^_^ Learned about Curiosity's singing... I didn't know earlier, despite my interest to Mars researching.
I have a strong empathy to Happybirthdays,

It's was not planned, but I came here today to put this, I finished them. :) They was mostly finished for a long time, but I had troubles with background. It's looks very mist in the dark.

P.S. Sorry everybody for my dissapearing, I was need to recharge myself by drawing something else, it's hard for me, to draw just one theme for a long time. ^^'
Nice, I really like the work you are doing, what other species are you working on?
All of my contributions should be considered released under creative commons attribution share-alike license, CC-BY-SA 3.0 for use in, by and with the Free Orion project.

The Silent One
Graphics

#71 Post by The Silent One »

Bestary wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:49 pmP.S. Sorry everybody for my dissapearing, I was need to recharge myself by drawing something else, it's hard for me, to draw just one theme for a long time. ^^'
It's a hobby project, it should be fun not work. Love the fins!
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

Bestary
Space Squid

#72 Post by Bestary »

labgnome wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:12 am Nice, I really like the work you are doing, what other species are you working on?
Eaxaw and Trith ^^ and other sketched species that was published here but not finished. I will redraw Eaxaw lines - that was last thing I drew and already looks not good. :D
Attachments
eaxaw.jpg
eaxaw.jpg (54.91 KiB) Viewed 5946 times
Last edited by Bestary on Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bestary
Space Squid

#73 Post by Bestary »

The Silent One wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:45 am It's a hobby project, it should be fun not work.
Yes, that's rights, I prefer to support this position. :)

Trith don't want to attach to first post.
Attachments
trith.jpg
trith.jpg (49.82 KiB) Viewed 5946 times

Bestary
Space Squid

#74 Post by Bestary »

Hello everybodies, I finished Trith! :D
"Schizophrenia, as it was said." (c) Mikhail Bulgakov.
Interesting, is somebody here who suffering from obsessive thoughts too?..

Black will be turn to the transparent inside the game.
Attachments
trith_black_mini.png
trith_black_mini.png (185.43 KiB) Viewed 5827 times

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#75 Post by Ophiuchus »

Love your final Trith!!!

Probably will dedicate my next test game to them
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!