Opinion and Stability

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

How should Opinion and Stability effect each other?

Opinion should effect Stability.
100%
Stability should effect Opinion.
No votes

Total votes: 5

labgnome
Juggernaut

Opinion and Stability

#1 Post by labgnome »

So there has been discussion on both "stability" mechanic for planets as a replacement for happiness, something I've warmed-up to quite a bit, and some kind of "opinion" or allegiance mechanic for species and empires particularly here. However one thing that there has not yet been a consensus on so-far is just how the two should interact. As this has also been discussed before, and various increasingly complex ideas have been spawned form it I thought I would reduce the problem to two simple options. No feedback loops. No extra complexity. As KISS as we can get with these things. Just picking one option over another. So I thought I would start a poll and discussion on the idea so see where we stand on the two options, and a discussion topic to flesh-out how we want to implement these effects. Hopefully we can arrive at a consensus on how we want to implement these systems into Free Orion while staying true to our design goals.

Either
  1. Opinion effects Stability: species will have opinions of various things an empire does, and these opinions will then effect the stability on their planets. Stability will not account towards or against opinion in any way. This will be in addition to specific effects or traits that directly act on stability. Specifically I am thinking that opinion should account for half of stability, with other effects covering the other half of stability.
  2. Stability effects Opinion: stability will be effected by various things done to planets and average stability will effect species opinion of the empire. Opinion will not effect stability in any way. This will be in addition to specific effects or traits that directly act on opinion. Specifically I am thinking that average stability should account for half of opinion with other effects covering the other half of opinion.
All of my contributions should be considered released under creative commons attribution share-alike license, CC-BY-SA 3.0 for use in, by and with the Free Orion project.

Krikkitone
Creative Contributor

Re: Opinion and Stability

#2 Post by Krikkitone »

Definitely A

labgnome
Juggernaut

#3 Post by labgnome »

Krikkitone wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:10 amDefinitely A
Care to elaborate any on it?
All of my contributions should be considered released under creative commons attribution share-alike license, CC-BY-SA 3.0 for use in, by and with the Free Orion project.

Krikkitone
Creative Contributor

#4 Post by Krikkitone »

Stability has an obvious game effect. planet rebels/can't do things, etc.

Species Opinion doesn't seem to have any sensible game effects that couldn't be worked through stability.

Also, stability could be keeping the population happy and selfactualized or effectively brutally repressed ...which seem like very different effects on species opinion.

labgnome
Juggernaut

#5 Post by labgnome »

Krikkitone wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:39 amSpecies Opinion doesn't seem to have any sensible game effects that couldn't be worked through stability.
So would you do without opinion all-together?
Also, stability could be keeping the population happy and selfactualized or effectively brutally repressed ...which seem like very different effects on species opinion.
I could see that.

Krikkitone
Creative Contributor

#6 Post by Krikkitone »

I would keep opinion, but its effect would be through stability

It would be important as a way to affect stability on an entire category of worlds (includes ones you don't currently own), as well as possibly having effects on ships (which have a particular species)

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#7 Post by Oberlus »

I agree with Krikkitone.

labgnome
Juggernaut

#8 Post by labgnome »

There hasn't been much activity, if there isn't much more I think I will proceed under the assumption that opinion influences stability. I had hoped more people would be interested but if it's just us, then I think I know how I will go. Namely I wanted a direction to go in before jumping back into discussions about the influence mechanic or species values with fresh ideas. Namely I want to have an idea of how opinion and stability work together before making concrete, and hopefully, largely final proposals as to what species values and influence projects we should have, and how those should work.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#9 Post by Vezzra »

I know I'm late, doesn't matter as I cast my vote also in favor of opinion affecting stability. For all the reasons already cited.

labgnome
Juggernaut

#10 Post by labgnome »

Vezzra wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:58 pm I know I'm late, doesn't matter as I cast my vote also in favor of opinion affecting stability. For all the reasons already cited.
I think there is a general consensus in that direction.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#11 Post by Vezzra »

labgnome wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:21 pmI think there is a general consensus in that direction.
Unless I'm overruled by Geoff, I'd say there is more than just a general consensus, this matter is actually decided. :D