Auto-upgradable shields?

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Auto-upgradable shields?

#1 Post by Oberlus »

This is for the new tech tree.

Currently in FO, we have four tiers of shields, weapons and armours, and next tier part is always (roughly) +50% stronger than current tier. The SR weapons of each tier can be upgraded three times (+100%). Shields and armours cannot. Also, shields have the same strength than one shot of the base (not upgraded) weapon of the same tier, and the tech cost of a shield of tier N is comparable to the tech cost of a weapon of tier N+1. I think that balance is OK, or at least a good starting point.

The new tech tree will have (for now) 6 tiers, with most themes having weapons in most/all tiers, each with three possible refinements (auto-upgrades).
I'm wondering if I should place one shield per tier (in the theme with shields, Energy) or place less shields (say tiers 2, 4 and 6) and give them some refinements as follows:
Shield T2 base: same strength than tier 1 SR weapon base damage per shot.
Shield T2 maxed: same strength than tier 2 SR weapon base damage per shot.
Shield T4 base: same strength than tier 3 SR weapon base damage per shot.
Shield T4 maxed: same strength than tier 4 SR weapon base damage per shot.
Shield T6 base: same strength than tier 5 SR weapon base damage per shot.
Shield T6 maxed: same strength than tier 6 SR weapon base damage per shot.

So the shield strengths would be the same as if we have one non-upgradable shield per tier.

I think this is interesting in several ways, at least for easier setting of tech costs (this way the would-be-tier-1 shield is placed in tier 2 with corresponding greater tech cost, and I can keep techs of the same tier with similar or equal tech cost) and for gameplay (enables the same strategies for shields that we have with the auto-upgradable weapons).

Thoughts?