Conquering colonised planets - culture,assimilation,genocide

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

Carbon Copy Man
Space Squid

#16 Post by Carbon Copy Man »

I don't know about all of the spying bonusses -- I think that they're more of an auxilliary effect.

But I think the description "so you go and smack their planet around" is the best way to describe it. Don't turn your back on me!

It's more of a sabotage tactic, though I could also see some spying bonusses that could come out of it.

It's a choice I remember from a lot of TBSs. Often medieval strategies use the term "Plunder". The point is you don't want the colony.
Last edited by Carbon Copy Man on Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Argus
Space Floater

#17 Post by Argus »

"Plunder" I like that! :lol: That brings back memories!

Yah I think the whole spying and various activities could be opened up for you in the espionage window (we do have a espionage window?) but it wouldn't be listed in the conquest screen. It would be your responsibility to take advantage of it or not to.

I think if we are talking about diplomatic effects for a given option then the effect of the action should be said along with the action. Like for option 1 it would say everyone will hate you for doing this. Option 2 raceA will hate you but everyone else will only dislike you. Option 3 raceA will hate you everyone else no effect. Option 4......

There should be a nice range of options from evil to good but the point has been made that we shouldn't have hundreds of them. I think the 5 options minus option 2 would be good as a basic set of options.

I really like option 5 but for the same reason I like it it sucks. The reason: it could mean soo many things! It could mean don't mess with me! It could be a challenge! or maybe you want to take it but you realize you wouldn't be able to keep it! Or a combination of the above. Between human players this wouldn't be an issue cuz you could just come out and say it to them but when done to an AI opponent it should have a default meaning perhaps maybe based on it's government type perhaps.

:twisted: I think regardless of which option is chosen there should always be some plundering going on! :twisted:

Argus

Carbon Copy Man
Space Squid

#18 Post by Carbon Copy Man »

I think that the AI would be able to work it out if it's set up properly.

Basically it amounts to the strategy, "Am I tougher than this guy? Can I teach him a lesson?"

As far as the spying... I just had an idea. While you are in control of an enemy colony, you get an extra espionage window which allows you to

1) Seed spy (leave a spy who will attempt infiltrate the enemy empire when it regains control with an increased chance of success -- only possible as long as there is still a certain amount of citizens loyal to that empire).

2) Seek out local plans (search and steal any technology you can find hidden on the planet).

There would be a number of conditions underwhich the espionage window would disappear -- such as when the colony becomes loyal to you, making any espionage options redundant. At the same time, a highly rebellious colony would make success more difficult.

I see "Withdrawal" as a decision you can make at any time until you gain a reasonable amount of loyalty in the colony. I don't really think it's part of the "Five option list", but another option off on the side.

Though maybe it should just be part of the five option list. If you want to leave after that, you'll just have to leave your ground troops behind.

yaromir
Space Kraken

#19 Post by yaromir »

plunder works for me.

The spying thing could be handled abstractly, say for the next 3 turns spy insertions into target empire are 20% cheaper and 30% more successful.
Staying awake and aware is perhaps the hardest thing to do.

DumbTeen
Space Krill

#20 Post by DumbTeen »

Exiling/evicting/ethnic cleansing a population should not be simple and respectable. It's almost always condemned in today's international community. When it is attempted, there should be a chance of peaceful eviction, but more likely, a slow eviction marred by low level violence and the occasional rebellion.

It should be more respectable than genocide, but not respectable.

Dreamer
Dyson Forest

#21 Post by Dreamer »

So basically: The only "Respectabe" thing to do when at war is destroy the other empires military capabilities.

guiguibaah
Creative Contributor

Raid and pillage

#22 Post by guiguibaah »

You could have small nimble corvettes in your fleet - "Pirates" if you will, that do not trigger planetary and starbase defences. With them you could raid planets and steal some resources. Of course, once they have raided a planet (or a system), they lose their "pirate" flag until they return back to a home system.

Regular ships would get a 50% chance at detecting your pirate ships.

This way you can make ships that could pass "through" a blockaded system to cause a disturbance within.
There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.

Carbon Copy Man
Space Squid

#23 Post by Carbon Copy Man »

DumbTeen wrote:It should be more respectable than genocide, but not respectable.
I haven't really looked into the real-world ramifications as much as I could have, but they're only partially relevant.

I see it as a spectrum:
Coexistence
Relocation
Enslavement
Genocide

The top being the most humane. They also all have their individual characteristics to balance these characteristics.

The benefit of genocide and relocation is that you're getting rid of the locals so you can exploit the colony for yourself. In the case of relocation, you also have the added complication of trying to find somewhere to put them -- it just puts the problem somewhere else.

Enslavement gives you bonuses to production, and is the best at controlling rebels in the short term.

Coexistence has a strong chance of rebellion, and weakens your defence against spies. The benefit is that all of the penalties fade over time.

Withdrawal is an independent decision, the problems associated with this choice is generally what you did before you left. Including the military campaign that you staged for so little a reward.

I'm also not too sure about "pirate" ships. That sounds like it'd replace some of the decisions that should be made in the espionage windows.

yaromir
Space Kraken

#24 Post by yaromir »

You could have small nimble corvettes in your fleet - "Pirates" if you will, that do not trigger planetary and starbase defences. With them you could raid planets and steal some resources. Of course, once they have raided a planet (or a system), they lose their "pirate" flag until they return back to a home system.
Would be better absracted as funding to "privateers" and would probably belong under "espionage/Black-Ops"
Staying awake and aware is perhaps the hardest thing to do.

guiguibaah
Creative Contributor

Irates - Privateers

#25 Post by guiguibaah »

Actually it is in referral to the ability of really small ships to pass through heavily defended systems to be able to do some hit-and-runs on the core systems... To prevent the "Massive border buildup and eventually big fleet battle that determines who wins / loses" that happens often in Strategy games.

There's another thread dedicated to actual Stealthed / Raiders / pirate ships one controlls... but I'm too lazy to dig it up :)
There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.