Make Colony Parts Boost Fuel

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderators: Oberlus, Oberlus

labgnome
Vacuum Dragon

Make Colony Parts Boost Fuel

#1 Post by labgnome » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:14 am

I believe this idea, or something similar has been brought up before in other discussions, but hasn't gotten it's own thread to my knowledge, so I am starting one.

The general idea is that currently colony ships are too weak and using them is made almost completely irrelevant by the colony building. Having the colony parts boost fuel would allow colony ships to become a way to have them be much more useful in establishing colonies outside of your supply range. Currently I don't really use colony pods in my games at all, they just aren't worth it to me and so I'd like to see them become relevant again.

With colony parts also providing fuel there are different possible combinations, and I'd also like to propose new colony parts and a re-organization of the current colony parts to reflect this if we adopt the idea. Currently my concept is as below:

PartColonistsFuel FactorGame Stage
Colony Pod11.5xStart
Duplicate Colony Pod31.5xEarly Game
Cryonic Colony Pod12xEarly Game
Stasis Colony Pod32xMid-Game

Fluff:
  • Colony Pod: This basic colony pod allows for the transport of colonists to a new planet, however life-support takes up significant space limiting the number of colonists.
  • Duplicate Colony Pod: This colony pod creates grows duplicates of colonists upon arrival allowing for a fully developed colony capable of producing new colonies of its own once the population reaches maturity.
  • Cryonic Colony Pod: This colony pod places colonists into cold storage allowing for much longer voyages with automated crews, but the cryogenic systems take up significant space.
  • Stasis Colony Pod: This colony pod uses stasis fields that allow for both mature and immature colonists to be transported safely to a new planet and allows for a fully developed colony to be established once the population matures.

Fell free to make alternative proposals for colony parts or how this should work, or even some other way to make colony pods relevant once again.
All of my contributions should be considered released under creative commons attribution share-alike license, CC-BY-SA 3.0 for use in, by and with the Free Orion project.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

Re: Make Colony Parts Boost Fuel

#2 Post by Vezzra » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:44 pm

labgnome wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:14 am
The general idea is that currently colony ships are too weak and using them is made almost completely irrelevant by the colony building. Having the colony parts boost fuel would allow colony ships to become a way to have them be much more useful in establishing colonies outside of your supply range.
Establishing colonies outside of supply range is the sole purpose of colony ships. As that's a special case (not the rule), this "marginalization" of the colony ship is actually intended.

However, if the recent changes to the fuel mechanic rendered the hulls you usually use for colony ships with too low out-of-supply travelling range, then that purpose is of course defeated, and some changes to provide colony ships with sufficient range to fulfill their purpose are probably necessary.

jinlanid
Space Floater

#3 Post by jinlanid » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:20 am

If it's more difficult to expand, then a system is more worthy.

What about nerfing outpost part, instead of buffing colony part?
For example, make it more expensive to upgrade an outpost to a colony than just make a colony.
Maybe cost more PP, or maybe make it slower cost more turns.

If you choose outpost solution, you can occupy the system faster.
If you choose colony solution, you get a new home faster.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#4 Post by Vezzra » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:18 pm

jinlanid wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:20 am
What about nerfing outpost part, instead of buffing colony part?
For example, make it more expensive to upgrade an outpost to a colony than just make a colony.
That would defeat the very reason why colonizing by upgrading outposts had been introduced in the first place.

Originally you couldn't upgrade an outpost to a colony. Colonization was done solely with colony ships. However, that mechanic turned out to be very micromanagement heavy, especially past early game when you start to colonize more and more. The colonization mechanic we have now (build an outpost, upgrade it to a colony) has been introduced to resolve that issue.

Colony ships have been kept to keep the option of colonizing outside your supply range. That can't be done by upgrading outposts, so colony ships fill that specific, distinct role. IMO that's sufficient - colony ships don't necessarily need to be more important.