Add optical feetback if system have stargate

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

drkosy
Space Dragon

Add optical feetback if system have stargate

#1 Post by drkosy »

I think it would be helpful if some optical feetback shows on the galaxy map the presence of a stargate in a system. Like bold text for imperial palace or underlined for shipyard.
Maybe just adding "°" or "o" to the systems name.

Since I make breaks for more than one day between my playing-sessions it is always hard for me to remember where a stargate is built. That's why fleet movement would be much easier for me, if there were an optical feetback. I tried to manually add "°" symbol to system-names but in the heat of the game I often forget to do it. That's why I like to have that done automatically. :)

P.S: Already opened an feature request on github, I hope that's all right (if not tell me, than next time I wait till the discussion is done)...
Want some fresh experience? Try Kosymod

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Add optical feetback if system have stargate

#2 Post by Oberlus »

Seconded.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#3 Post by Ophiuchus »

What about transformers? Or is this about established connections?
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

drkosy
Space Dragon

#4 Post by drkosy »

Thanks for your reply :)
You are right with transformers. They could work as stargates as well. In principal the optical feedback should be the same for stargates and transformers.
For me it is just important to have it easier to find the best route for my ships. It happened several times that I overseen a stargate in a nearby system and sent the fleet on an 8 round travel instead of fly two systems to the next stargate or transformer. :oops:

Edit: Some grammar corrections :)

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#5 Post by LienRag »

Oberlus wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:58 amSeconded.
Thirded (if the word exist).
And make a filter for buildings in the Planet Panel: "has building of type".

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#6 Post by Vezzra »

I repost the reply i posted on the feature request on github here:

I suggest to extend that feature request to implement a generic "map indicator/icon" feature for scriptable content: an additional field that let content scripters define a way to define a visual indicator for systems containing a piece of content (special or building).

And/or provide UI controls that let the player highlight systems which contain a certain building/special/whatever.

With the addition of more game mechanics there will be more pieces of content for which highlighting their location on the map might be an important feature. So instead of hardcoding more and more of them (which we shouldn't do anyway), provide the means to properly control that from the content scripts and the UI.

drkosy
Space Dragon

#7 Post by drkosy »

And make a filter for buildings in the Planet Panel: "has building of type".
That shouldn't be necessary if you have an optical feedback on the galaxy map but can't hurt anyway :wink:
With the addition of more game mechanics there will be more pieces of content for which highlighting their location on the map might be an important feature.
I love to have more planet / system specific content so that sounds really good to me. That could also make it easier for new gamers to get important information. For me e.g. it took quite a while since I realized what that underlined systems meant. Small icons could transport that a lot better. :)