Armored Hull Line

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

labgnome
Juggernaut

Armored Hull Line

#1 Post by labgnome »

In thinking about the proposed new tech tree, I have realized that we could possibly use a new hull-line. This hull line would be for the Mech Theme and tie into its use of the "standard" armor techs. It makes the Xentronium Hull the culmination of its own hull line rather than an outlier. Hence the stats are based on the Xentronium Hull itself with the new hulls being lighter versions thereof. I based the hit points on the relative strengths of the corresponding armor part.

Armored Hull Line:
HullH.P.SpeedFuelStealthExt. SlotsInt. SlotsCore Slots
Armored Hull117075200
Zortrium Hull187075400
Diamond Hull307055410
Xentronium Hull507035401
All of my contributions should be considered released under creative commons attribution share-alike license, CC-BY-SA 3.0 for use in, by and with the Free Orion project.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Armored Hull Line

#2 Post by Oberlus »

I prefer to stick to the massive hulls line idea for Mech: Sefv-grav., Titanic, Xentronium for the mid/late tiers and a pair more of new hulls for the earlier tiers.

labgnome
Juggernaut

#3 Post by labgnome »

Oberlus wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:31 am I prefer to stick to the massive hulls line idea for Mech: Sefv-grav., Titanic, Xentronium for the mid/late tiers and a pair more of new hulls for the earlier tiers.
These would be mostly for the earlier tiers.

Also if we are going to go for splitting the robotic hull line, I think we should go all the way, and split off the flux hulls too. It would make the most sense to put them into the Void side theme. However this creates problems as distributed empires (especially the Sly) need the spatial flux bubble hull for colonization. This makes me against the idea of splitting-up the robotic hull line for now.
All of my contributions should be considered released under creative commons attribution share-alike license, CC-BY-SA 3.0 for use in, by and with the Free Orion project.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#4 Post by Ophiuchus »

labgnome wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:29 pm split off the flux hulls too. It would make the most sense to put them into the Void side theme. However this creates problems as distributed empires (especially the Sly) need the spatial flux bubble hull for colonization.
What else do Sly need from the robotic hull line?

The flux bubble can be considered necessary for early Sly colonisation in some cases (mainly because of reach, sometimes because of stealth to bypass monsters). Any other hull with good fuel and an internal slot for col pod would suffice for reach (outposts are expensive but most of the time also a solution). Researching stealth, swamping the monster or killing the monster are other options to bypass monsters. I don't see an intrinsic problem here.

If we have five themes or so, I think two or three should allow the Sly to go distributed and one or two should provide the means for building a classical empire (i.e. getting natives/exobots and supply tech).
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#5 Post by Oberlus »

Ophiuchus wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:27 am If we have five themes or so, I think two or three should allow the Sly to go distributed and one or two should provide the means for building a classical empire (i.e. getting natives/exobots and supply tech).
Yes.
Two themes have good ship stealth capabilities: Biotec from hulls (unlocked early, later hulls with better stealth) and dedicated stealth parts (unlocked mid game), Cybertec from stealth parts (unlocked early, later parts with better stealth).
Currently, organic hull line has lots of hulls that are infraused. I would repurpose one of them to be a good option for long-range colonization/scouting without being good at combat (1 internal slot, 1 external slot, low HP, great fuel efficiency and starting fuel 4, relatively expensive for its stats to not make it the obvious choice for chaff).
Not sure yet about hulls for Cybertec.

labgnome
Juggernaut

#6 Post by labgnome »

Ophiuchus wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:27 am What else do Sly need from the robotic hull line?
I don't really play as Sly so I can't say for sure, but I would think the other hulls in the "flux family" of the robotic hull line could serve them as well. The issue is with the Void theme being a side theme and not immediately accessible to players, as the Sly need the spatial flux bubble hull early in the game.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#7 Post by Ophiuchus »

labgnome wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:14 am
Ophiuchus wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:27 am What else do Sly need from the robotic hull line?
I don't really play as Sly so I can't say for sure, but I would think the other hulls in the "flux family" of the robotic hull line could serve them as well. The issue is with the Void theme being a side theme and not immediately accessible to players, as the Sly need the spatial flux bubble hull early in the game.
Yes bubble flux should be a very early hull. If void theme is not available at the beginning it should go somewhere else.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#8 Post by Oberlus »

As mentioned above, we can also adapt other hulls for the role. There is plenty of room for adjustments to keep it balance.
I hate the untrustworthy stealth of the flux bubble, I usually build less than three of them when laying Sly (and never with other species), switching to organic hulls ASAP. Organics just need one early hull with some more fuel. Or the bubble should have two inner slots to be able to mount a stealth part along the colony pod.