Change 1 colony ship to 2 outpost ships

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

jinlanid
Space Squid

Change 1 colony ship to 2 outpost ships

#1 Post by jinlanid »

At game start, we give 1 colony ship and 2 scout. In current game rule, if a star system is not connected to the capital, it will suffer big negative effect, consume a lot of influence every turn.

So in this new version, outpost is much more needed.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Change 1 colony ship to 2 outpost ships

#2 Post by LienRag »

Good thinking.
But it would cripple Laenfa or Sly development, so it ruins current balance.

An option between starting forces may be interesting (a bit like Vezzra's "Origins")?
Like either
  • two Outpost ships like you propose,
  • one Colony ship
  • more military ships
  • maybe more starting techs (not the obvious ones like AI/AA)?
It would need a lot of balancing though to not make one of them the obvious choice.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#3 Post by Oberlus »

Starting ships can be customized in file https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/ ... fleets.inf

In multiplayer games, o01eg configured it to start with three scouts, two frigates, one outpost ship and one colony ship (obviously better than two outpost ships).

drkosy
Space Dragon

#4 Post by drkosy »

I do like it, as it is. You have to upgrade an outpost to a colony first. Even if you found a colony inside your supply the advantage is, you can use it right the next turn.
On the other hand, it's a question when to choose. If you choose before game starts it's some kind of roulette-game, either you win and have some planets inside supply or you fail an can't colonize anything (because you need to connect your planets via supply to upgrade outposts to colonies). If you choose after 5 turns it is something like cheating.

For me, the current start fits well. In MOO2 I always choose "pre warp" to start with nothing than my home planet. In freeorion that would slow down the gameplay to much without real benefit, so at the moment I wouldn't change anything.

P.S: Multiplayer is something different, because you don't play a lot of turns per day and with better start conditions gameplay is accelerated.
Want some fresh experience? Try Kosymod

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#5 Post by Vezzra »

LienRag wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:13 pmAn option between starting forces may be interesting (a bit like Vezzra's "Origins")?
That's actually exactly the thing the Origins mechanic is supposed to address.