Situational Stealth

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Situational Stealth

#31 Post by LienRag »

Oberlus wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:18 pm
LienRag wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:08 pm Situational Stealth .. much funnier to play, much more than non-situational.
Some situational, some not.
When playing Sly, I find frustrating the situational stealth of regular asteroid hulls and the bubble hull. Sometimes I just could not pass through a monster until I got non-situational stealth (better hulls plus stealth parts).
True that.
But if you can pass through it without trouble, what is the point of the monster's detection value ?

The point of Situational Stealth is to generate frustration, in a way : having something you want (stealth for one player, detection for his opponent) but not where you want it, until you're able to develop a strategy that works with what you have and not what you would like to have.
That is what brings strategic richness.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#32 Post by Oberlus »

LienRag wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:04 pmif you can pass through it without trouble, what is the point of the monster's detection value ?
If you can pass through it only with stealth ships, not regular ones, the point is right that: to not allow pass unless you invest on military or in stealth.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#33 Post by LienRag »

One idea I've been toying around is a new Internal part, "SSO Booster" (SSO : single-stage to orbit, for those who don't know) that would allow ships to land on planets and still participate in spacefights.
And then have a Military Policy, "Planetary ambush", that gives +1 Stealth per turn on SSO-bearing ships stationary (and not engaged in combat) above an unowned planet.
Probably with specific boni, like +2 per turn on Barren/Desert/Radiated for Lithic species, +1 on Terran +2 on Ocean +3 on Swamp/Toxic for Organic hulls, +3 on Infernos for Energy hulls, and the like. Maybe even +1 for Slys on Gas Giants.
I guess that the Hydroplasmic hull would also work only with this policy ?

But I'm not sure whether parts/hulls that only work with a specific policy are considered an acceptable feature.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#34 Post by LienRag »

It's been a while that I want to give a Stealth bonus for Energy ships (or maybe the Flux line ?) on Void Rift since imho the fluff calls for it, but I'm not sure on how to do it.
I guess that it's necessary to give a high-level bonus since the Energy ships are not stealthy by nature, but I'm wary of overdoing it.

Should it be a Policy or a Ship part ?
If it's for the Energy line, it should be an External part I guess.
Maybe a stackable one ?
+20 per part ? It would certainly make the Fractal deadly, but considering that it doesn't work outside of Void Rifts maybe it's still balanced ?

Actually, I believe that it would need to work in some settings outside of Void Rift, so as to give a little bit of tactical diversity.
Maybe on Black Holes ? Or Temporal Anomaly ? But there's not enough of the later to make it interesting.
Inside Nanite Swarms ? I'd prefer something not tied to another field.
On systems without planets nor stars that are connected to other systems without planets nor stars ?