New trait : Noosensible

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

New trait : Noosensible

#1 Post by LienRag »

For Native species only I guess, a trait that makes the Species hurt when any Telepathic species gets in the vicinity (from the same Empire or from any other or even Natives).

Possible formula : each Telepathic colony in 6 starlane jumps away or less gives a Stability malus of (TelepathicPlanet's Population*(5 -distance)² / 10) and an Influence malus of ((5 -distance)² / 20)...
Also possible to have telepathic ships produce a similar Stability malus : NumberOfShips*(5-distance)²/20.
Maybe for some heavily Noosensible have them get Stability malus from even non-Telepathic Organic Metabolism Species ? (Something like (OrganicMetabolismPlanet's Population*(3 -distance)² / 20).

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: New trait : Noosensible

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Somewhat like Xenophobic but narrower in relevance.

Might call it Psyonic Allergy or similar...?

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#3 Post by LienRag »

If you want, yes.
Noosensible seems a good term to me, but if you prefer something else then why not ?

stpa
Space Kraken

#4 Post by stpa »

i like this one. i think the celestephyte will get that trait. not happy with its name though ... how about telepathophobia? https://www.freeorion.org/forum/viewtop ... =7&t=12243

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#5 Post by LienRag »

What's wrong with the name ?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#6 Post by Oberlus »

What's noo?

stpa
Space Kraken

#7 Post by stpa »

anyway, maybe i'll skip this one until i got a better handle on how to make sure they wont get placed to closed to each other during universe creation

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#8 Post by LienRag »

Oberlus wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:22 pmWhat's noo?
I wasn't aware that it's difficult to find if one doesn't already know its meaning, but apparently it is (lots of wrong results in a search engine, and not one good result in the first pages).
So here's a link to its most known use.

It's greek for mind or spirit, basically.

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#9 Post by wobbly »

Picking a word that looks like gibberish and is quite similar to a different word might be inviting a certain misinterpretation. Just saying...

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#10 Post by LienRag »

Apparently the word is less known outside of French-speaking areas, which I wasn't aware of.
Here it's a staple of science-fiction/philosophy, the main French SF website is called Noosfere.org.
I can't say for English speakers, but clearly in a French context only a boor would consider it gibberish.

Maybe the English word for the trait should be one of those proposed, and only the French translation should use Noosensible then ?

(ouaz if you translate it by something else, je mords)

The Silent One
Graphics

#11 Post by The Silent One »

Psyonophobic or -pathic?
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

Krikkitone
Creative Contributor

#12 Post by Krikkitone »

Psiphobic sounds good

stpa
Space Kraken

#13 Post by stpa »

or psycho-pathic?! rofl ...

stpa
Space Kraken

#14 Post by stpa »

i was thinking: focus groups, a/b testing, the works .. but then, why not use them all and put a random number generator in front so for each new game it throws the dice and we all can contribute some nonsense made up names?

and let me thro Ψcophobic in the race, greek or cyrillic psi for the psycho-part, the co is from coexisting or cooccurring or just co-, and its a word probably nowhere in use although i havent checked
Last edited by stpa on Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#15 Post by Oberlus »

I like nonsense made-up names if I don't have to use them more than a few times. They must die sooner than later.